PO refuses to give me a "shepherding" visit ... wtf ???

by Calebs Airplane 19 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Calebs Airplane
    Calebs Airplane

So 2 weeks ago I received an email from the PO... He wants to give my wife and I a shepherding call very soon... but get this... he mentioned that they had already made shepherding calls to the entire congo and we were the ONLY ones left... I don't know whether I'm I supposed to feel loved or despised (by that completely irrelevant comment). He's probably doing this to impress the CO who is probably visiting soon...

My response to his email was basically: No problem... please feel free to stop by anytime... however, no need to come with a second person. I would prefer a 1 on 1 meeting (not 2 on 1). Also, since I now encourage my wife to think independently and make her own decisions, you'd have to ask her directly if she would like to receive a visit from you. (btw, I was hoping he'd agree to a 1 on 1 with me so I can pull out some authentic old publications I have stashed away in a box.. more about that in another thread soon)

But, after 2 weeks, I received no response to my email; so I called him up and asked him when he would like to stop by. He responded: 'Caleb, you know we can't do these sheperding calls with just one elder and you were very specific about that in your response to my email, remember?'

My immediate thought was: wtf ??? which scripture did they twist around to arrive at that idiotic conclusion?

But I decided to take a deep breath and ask him what scriptures say anything about that... he couldn't remember the exact scripture but mentioned "the one where the apostles were sent in pairs to different territories"

Yes... believe it or not, he couldn't remember that scripture. (neither could I, but I've been out for several years now)

Anyway, I'll spare you all the back and forth that ensued over the phone. Suffice to say that this elder is extremely hard core to the bone and didn't yield one iota on his biblically baseless stance about the 2-elder shepherding call...

So my question to any existing or ex-elders on this forum is this... What the hell is my PO talking about? Where is he getting this idea that he can't go on a shepherding call alone even when a Dub specifically requests it?

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Where is he getting this idea that he can't go on a shepherding call alone

Probably the '2 witness'(TM) rule. He doesn't want to be ambushed.

• konceptual99
    konceptual99

We have had shepherding calls from our group overseer 1 on 1 many times. The only counsel I can think of is against one elder visiting a woman on her own.

The Shepherd book says the following (page 48 onwards)

-- An elder may shepherd at the publisher's hame, at the Kingdom Hall, while in field service, over the telephone, or on other occasions.

-- The service overseer, along with the secretary, should be alert to assign each inactive publisher in the territory to a group overseer. The group overseer should then endeavor to provide needed help, either personally or through another qualified elder in the group. Depending on the circumstances, group servants or assistants may accompany an elder when he visits an inactive one.

None of that says they have to go with another elder. Granted the subsequent paragraphs do use the word "shepherds" in the plural but there is no explicit instruction that shepherding has to be with 2 elders. Normally a 2 elders visit is more than shepherding - it's counsel at the very least.

EDIT - the two witnesses point is key when counsel or more is administered.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Sounds like you are being treated in the rabbinic, legal, 2 witnesses way. You should also have a lawyer present, or record eveything. They have some really good voice activated digital recorders, now. A lot of the cell phones can be used for that, now too.

S

• Chaserious
    Chaserious

I have seen elders make visits alone. I think you unnecessarily tipped him off that you aren't drinking the organizational kool aid any longer with the comment about your wife. They are probably interested in checking you out for apostacy. If & when you meet with them, have your answer ready for the F&DS question.

• 00DAD
    00DAD

You scared him.

• Calebs Airplane
    Calebs Airplane

Konceptual99... awesome references... thanks!

00DAD... I think you're right...

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

I believe the scripture they have is in the 2nd book of Romans.

There is no scripture to support shepherding calls, and whatever rules that go along with it. It was a very weak response on that elders part, especially since the story of rules came from him. He just doesn't want to deal with you

• Room 215
    Room 215

He's likely setting you up for for an inquisition, and wants a second elder there to attest to any admissions of doubts or misgivings you may have.

• 00DAD
    00DAD

When I was an elder we often paired up to make shepherding calls. Obstensibly it was to train newer Elders or Ministerial Servants.

There certainly was no requirement to go in pairs on a shepherding call. Elders only NEED to go in a pair when calling on a woman by herself or when they are assigned to investigate a matter that might result in a Judicial Committee being formed.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit