Argo

by TD 31 Replies latest social entertainment

• Satanus
    Satanus

You're welcome. I'm not knocking the movie. It's enjoyable. In canada, a w5 documentary was put out, shortly after. As well, a canadian movie "Escape from Iran: The Canadian Caper" 1981 was produced. Those 2 didn't do as well as affleck's version. Ahh, hollywood.

S

• TD
    TD

I've got a follow up question for the Canadians:

Towards the end of the movie, there's actual footage of an Iranian spokesman threatening Canada.

I'm sure some form of retaliation was attempted, but honestly can't remember what happened. (?)

• Satanus
    Satanus

I can't find anything, and they established diplomatic relations in 1988, so i figure it was just talk.

S

• GLTirebiter
    GLTirebiter

Good story, great movie, though the facts were somewhat embellished for dramatic effect.

The chase scene on the runway was a little silly (Given that the top speed of a 60's era Mercedes Unimog was about 60 mph)

Not to mention what the blast from engines at take-off power would do to them!

• Honeybucket
    Honeybucket

I really liked this movie.After watching it I looked up these people and found out that 1 of the married couples, the dark haired girl and dark haired guy, lives in the next town over, I drive by their house on a daily basis. interesting.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

I realky liked the movie. I was aware that it was not entirely based on facts, which to me detracted from my appreciation of it, but its a movie, not a documentary.I enjoyed it, but it was not that memorable to me, I didn't think about it at all after I saw it. I was somewhat surprised it won best pictures, I thought Lincoln was a better movie, I thought about it a lot after I saw it, I felt like I really understood Lincoln. I actually liked Le Mis better than Argo, but it's a musical, so I wasn't surprised it didn't win. It just had more of an impact for me, I always liked the music, I have seen the play twice.

• new22day
    new22day

"This covert rescue became known as the "Canadian Caper", and while it improved Canada's relations with the United States, Canada–Iran relations became more volatile." (wikipedia)

After the Canadians got the 6 American diplomats out, they quickly evacuated all CA embassy staff for fear of retribution. Relations between CA and Iran deteriorated and the Canadian embassy remained closed for 8 years. (In 2012 CA stopped all diplomatic relations with Iran - different reasons.)

• Twitch
    Twitch

Good movie. Some drama added no doubt. Based on a true story...;)

• cyberjesus
    cyberjesus

I loved it.

Its a mooovie. 99% of the movies arent even 99% accurate... Are just mooovies. Lil stories that we like to hear. But the are made to entertain and make money.

if you didnt like the fact is not the story you created in your head.... When you create your movie the way you want it... Ill go watch it.

no historic record is 100% accurate. History is created by the one who writes it.

do you think the story the us goverment told you about WMD is accurate? Thats supposed to be the most accurate source of info.

if you were watching the movie at the edge of your seat... It was a success... If it prompt you to research.... It was doubly succesful.

just saying

• Amelia Ashton
    Amelia Ashton

I saw this movie last month. I had completely forgotten about it until I saw this thread.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit