James 2:26 - "faith without works is dead"

by leaving_quietly 40 Replies latest watchtower bible

• leaving_quietly
    leaving_quietly

problemaddict,

I am an active JW, have been baptized for over 25 years, was raised asa JW, and, I'm sorry, but I gotta call baloney on that. JWs absolutely do view works as a way to earn salvation. We say we do not, but actions speak louder than words. If I were to stop going if field service for one month, I would be considered irregular. If I stopped for six months or more, I would be considered inactive. To a JW, an irregular one is spiritually weak, and an inactive one, for all intents and purposes, has left Jehovah. Thusly, if there is an elderly person or a sickly person who cannot do so much, there is the arrangement of reporting just 15 minutes of time. Even those 15 minutes counts towards the "works" that lead to salvation, as JWs view it. If this was not the case, then why do we have such a major focus on more and more and more "works"? Remember the article we just recently had in the KM about spending just a little more time in field service, not quitting at noon? Or every few months, the reminder that there are five weekends, and thus would be an excellent opportunity to auxiliary pioneer? Or now the new arrangement of 30-hour auxiliary pioneering in March, April or whatever month the C.O. comes around? Do not tell me it's not about works. It absolutely is. Like I said, actions speak louder than words, and though we say we cannot earn salvation, we do not believe those words one one single bit. If we did, when someone stopped doing these "works", we would not be second guessing their level of spirituality or questioning their faith. We would not be talking behind their backs about how sad it is to see them slowing down in service to Jehovah. It is ALL about "works".

Sorry if I come across a little passionate about this. It's a hot button with me. Jesus said his load would be refreshing and light. This religion loads us down with having to do so many "works". It is not refreshing. It is not light.

• cassuk11
    cassuk11

the works are the fruits of the spirt check them out.They ar eall qualities of love.It s go nothing to do with how amny hours you puton your report card each months. The works of the perosnwlaking in spiirt and truth will be one of love, justice,mercy, etc et towards all believers and non bleeivers not just those in their own church

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

" We say we do not, but actions speak louder than words. "

Yep! Just check your note from the recent SAD. How can you remain clean from the blood of all men? By a prescribed set of works, set forth from the WTBTS. Organized preaching from door to door is considered necessary for salvation. Any Jw who says that the WT does not ultimately teach salvation based on works, is either grossly ignorant or lying.

http://www.jwstruggle.com/2012/03/what-is-sacred-service/

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

I agree with you. The Watchtower's single minded focus on the preaching work to the exclusion of all else, including family obligations, rest and recreation and even charitable works is unbalanced and ridiculous, especially when you consider how unproductive it is. I always felt frustrated that I was just wasting my time, it felt so pointless.

I just started attending a church that strongly believes in the kind of works that are meant by this scripture. I look forward to being a part of it and doing these kind of things.

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

Here here, leaving_quietly you hit the nail on the head about being a JW. Its all about works with the JW's. My wife and i have been JW's for 40 years and recently we have had some marriage problems. Instead of her staying home more and working with me on our issues, when she thought i was leaving her she just went out in service more. Everything about the religion is slavery.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

My father viewed this topic as the most serious flaw of the Witnesses. When he was at Bethel, Bethelite were sent to KHs as spies. Putting the world aside, he never saw any teachings thar precluded care for other Witnesses. He had been a coal miner and thought Bethel should coordinate aid the way the UMW did. When n WWIi started he was told he would face serious consequences if he left Bethel for prison.

My father assumed Harden Covington would help bc so many others faced the same situation. No one helped. The only reason he received a ministerial exemption was bc one older Bethelite had once stood in the same shoes. He secretly offered to help my father. My father was very self centered but during Vietnam, he tracked down every young brother and explained the process, showing his own documents and major cases.

u

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

No Witness should go without food, shelter, or not receive medical care. He saw there was enough money to go around. Care for current Witnesses before you grab more?

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

CRAZY GUY: Everything about the religion is slavery.

Yes, I am surprised by how many on here were pioneers, elders or bethelites. I never did any of those things but I remember how often they said that nothing less than whole souled devotion would ensure survival through the great tribulation. I think many just burned out, finding they got no thanks for years of faithful service, just criticism when their circumstances changed and they could no longer do those things. This organization chews you up and spits you out when they are done with you.

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

You know it Lisarose, and they so indactrinate you that the congregation does in deed judge one another. it all about staying busy preaching the word never mind that we do little for the sick or the poor. If one is a pioneer then thier special but if another is a regular meeting goer and makes it out in service maybe a couple times a month thier judged as being a lesser person even though behind every ones noses this person maybe contributing a $1000 per month to the worldwide work.

• mP
    mP

lost:

You failed to appreciate what the OT is actually saying. Love means contempt for non jews, mistreatment of women, and enslaving whoever else that you can. The only "love" they understand is respect for some big neighbour who wants to steal their gold, women, slaves etc. Jesus is the same, he claims to be preaching a message of love, yet his own apostles are all members of terrorist grouops( look at their names which are all puns of terrorist groups about at the time) and carry swords( aka Peter).

Iscariot = Sicarri. These were serious terrorists, 100x worse than Al Qaeda, they killed tens or hundreds of thosuands and their terror resulted in rome coming to destroy jerusalem and the expolsion of the jewish people. Not longer after that the romans renamed judea to palestine. The gospel of John even blames the jews for jesus death when its quite clear while they rejected him they are not responsible in anyway for the execution.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit