James 2:26 - "faith without works is dead"

by leaving_quietly 40 Replies latest watchtower bible

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

James makes it clear what works he views as important:

26 If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless. 27 Pure and undefiled religion in the sight of our God and Father is this: to visit orphans and widows in their distress, and to keep oneself unstained by the world

The Sin of Partiality

2 My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. 2 For if a man comes into your assembly with a gold ring and dressed in fine clothes, and there also comes in a poor man in dirty clothes, 3 and you pay special attention to the one who is wearing the fine clothes, and say, “You sit here in a good place,” and you say to the poor man, “You stand over there, or sit down by my footstool,” 4 have you not made distinctions among yourselves, and become judges with evil motives? 5 Listen, my beloved brethren: did not God choose the poor of this world to be rich in faith and heirs of the kingdom which He promised to those who love Him? 6 But you have dishonored the poor man. Is it not the rich who oppress you and personally drag you into court? 7 Do they not blaspheme the fair name by which you have been called?

8 If, however, you are fulfilling the royal law according to the Scripture, “ You shall love your neighbor as yourself ,” you are doing well. 9 But if you show partiality, you are committing sin and are convicted by the law as transgressors. 10 For whoever keeps the whole law and yet stumbles in one point, he has become guilty of all. 11 For He who said, “ Do not commit adultery ,” also said, “ Do not commit murder .” Now if you do not commit adultery, but do commit murder, you have become a transgressor of the law. 12 So speak and so act as those who are to be judged by the law of liberty. 13 For judgment will be merciless to one who has shown no mercy; mercy triumphs over judgment.

The Tongue Is a Fire

3 Let not many of you become teachers, my brethren, knowing that as such we will incur a stricter judgment. 2 For we all stumble in many ways. If anyone does not stumble in what he says, he is a perfect man, able to bridle the whole body as well. 3 Now if we put the bits into the horses’ mouths so that they will obey us, we direct their entire body as well. 4 Look at the ships also, though they are so great and are driven by strong winds, are still directed by a very small rudder wherever the inclination of the pilot desires. 5 So also the tongue is a small part of the body, and yet it boasts of great things.

Things to Avoid

4 What is the source of quarrels and conflicts among you? Is not the source your pleasures that wage war in your members? 2 You lust and do not have; so you commit murder. You are envious and cannot obtain; so you fight and quarrel. You do not have because you do not ask. 3 You ask and do not receive, because you ask with wrong motives, so that you may spend it on your pleasures. 4 You adulteresses, do you not know that friendship with the world is hostility toward God? Therefore whoever wishes to be a friend of the world makes himself an enemy of God. 5 Or do you think that the Scripture speaks to no purpose: “He jealously desires the Spirit which He has made to dwell in us”? 6 But He gives a greater grace. Therefore it says, “ God is opposed to the proud, but gives grace to the humble .” 7 Submit therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you. 8 Draw near to God and He will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands, you sinners; and purify your hearts, you double-minded. 9 Be miserable and mourn and weep; let your laughter be turned into mourning and your joy to gloom. 10 Humble yourselves in the presence of the Lord, and He will exalt you.

Indeed...

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

It is rubbish like this that lends me to believe that the jokehovian religion is actually half Jewish. When they view "works" as an excuse to get people guilted into going door to door, when in fact the "works" refer to the Christian fruitages, are they really true Christian? And that assumes anyone wants to be Christian--at least give them the freedom to see what they are getting into. If someone wants to be a Jewish proselyte, so be it. If you wish to be a hybrid Jew/Christian in practice, so be it. But don't mislead people into thinking they are getting into a Christian religion while getting them into something that is half Jewish. That is dishonest.

• Cagefighter
    Cagefighter

What James was saying is really simple. If we are being true to ourselves and our faith is real then our behavior should reflect that otherwise we need to figure out why is there a disconnect. It's like being married and saying you love your spouse which you might, but you can't stop cheating. That should be a red flag.

It kind of goes in touch with my latest post on my blog....if anyone is interested... (shameless plug)...the url is aristotlegskywalker.blogspot.com

• applehippie
  • Fed-up
    Fed-up

This scripture seemes to be mis applied often. It ought to read:

"Faith without FEAR is dead..."

seems more accurate.

• tec
    tec

oops

• villagegirl
    villagegirl

What works Christians are supposed to do

is clearly defined, and its not complicated

or dependent on millions of words about

prophesies or the time of the end, or classes of people

of different "hopes" or who is the "faithful and discreet"

or societies or governing bodies or organizations

Matthew 25:35-45

James 1:27

• TTWSYF
    TTWSYF

Farkel, you are right on the money!

Works are clearly defined in the scriptures as to giving alms to the poor, the destitude, widows, orphans, elderly, etc. You know, love your neighbor the same as you'd love yourself.

This notion of going to prisons to increase memebership is in no way 'works'. And that really sucks because many witnesses believe they are doing the Lord's work by handing out Watchtowers and Awakes and NOT helping the poorest of souls with the material needs that WE all need.

The sermon on the mount proves [to me anyway] that people may have believed that THEY were living in the end times [remember that this generation shall not pass....], yet these people gave alms to the poor.

respectfully,

dc

• Cagefighter
    Cagefighter

Okay, put here is the thing.... A christian should not be doing works because they are noble or considered helpful to others, then you slip into simple humanitarianism. I don't think James or Paul were ever trying to be so specific about the works just saying they should be there. We can't define works so narrowly.

One married couple might show their love with lots of gifts and cards, another could care less about that but, they show their love through time spent together and compliments. The works are there becaused the love is their in the first place and not the other way around. That is the point. It's the Why and not the What.

• leaving_quietly
    leaving_quietly

Cagefighter, I think we agree, and it harmonizes quite well with both Paul and James.

Paul: For we reckon that a man is declared righteous by faith apart from works of law. (Rom 3:28)

He then goes on to say that we don't abolish law, but establish it (note here: not "the Law", but "law"). He explains elsewhere that love is the law's fulfillment. (Rom 13:8-10)

James: Nevertheless, a certain one will say: “You have faith, and I have works. Show me your faith apart from the works, and I shall show you my faith by my works.” 19?You believe there is one God, do you? You are doing quite well. And yet the demons believe and shudder. 20?But do you care to know, O empty man, that faith apart from works is inactive? 21?Was not Abraham our father declared righteous by works after he had offered up Isaac his son upon the altar? 22?You behold that [his] faith worked along with his works and by [his] works [his] faith was perfected, 23?and the scripture was fulfilled which says: “Abraham put faith in Jehovah, and it was counted to him as righteousness,” and he came to be called “Jehovah’s friend.” (James 2:18-23)

What was he saying here? Abraham did not have "the Law". That came later. Therefore, there was no law for him to have works of. However, his faith motivated him to go through with offering up his son.

Therefore, what comes about as a result of faith is works, that is, works motivated by faith, which can be different things to different people. Those who go out in field service with a sense of foreboding, utter dislike of the activity... are they doing so because their faith moves them to do so? Or are they doing so because leaders of a religious organization told them they had to because their everlasting salvation is at stake? That's not faith. That's fear.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit