Can you list any xian persecutions NOT sourced from Roman Catholic tradition ?

by mP 24 Replies latest jw friends

• still thinking
    still thinking

Ok...you hate it... That's why you keep coming back for more...LOL

And I'll presume ALL I LIKE..I am more than capable.

• mP
    mP

JGNAT:

I selected a few snippets that i thought were the most intersting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pliny_the_Younger_on_Christians

Trajan’s short reply to Pliny overall affirms Pliny’s procedure and details four orders: (1) Do not seek out the Christians for trial. (2) If the accused are guilty of being Christian, then they must be punished. (3) If the accused deny they are Christians and show proof that they are not by adorning the gods and such, then they may be pardoned. (4) Pliny should not allow anonymous lists of accusations.

And at the same time apparently xians were fine in Africa which is a much larger portion of the empire than Plinys area we now call turkey( i think he was ruler in there). It would appear that only he had problems there so we canot be sure with more details of those people were doing.

For example, Tertullian wrote that no Christian blood was shed in Africa prior to 180

Thats nearly 2 centuries of no persectuons in Africa, which amounts to a third of the empire.

Still no confirmation about Nero and all the other claims. If you listened to xians you goto wonder how any survived after the countless persecutions. How exactly do they have a church in Rome when they were just wiped out by Nero ? YOu also need to appreciate there were dozens of different xianities. Bart Ehrman has many books about this topic. Marcion for example was a variant who taught there were two gods, the evil creator god of the OT and the new kinder god of the NT. The establishment taught something else, so they destroyed much of what we know about Gnosticism and Marcion.

• jgnat
    jgnat

mP, are you maintaining that the executions were not so bad? I did find a non-Catholic source.

• jgnat
    jgnat

For tater-t, what is persecution?

Persecution... implies a violation of human rights of particular gravity; it may be the result of cumulative events or systemic mistreatment, but equally it could comprise a single act of torture. http://untreaty.un.org/cod/avl/ha/prsr/prsr.html

Also noted in that article is the fear of the lack of protection. That is their government would not act to protect them from persecution from others.

• mP
    mP

jgnat:

I never said or made any statement about the degree or violence of any persecutions. NO where in my statements did i imply or make any statement in that direction. My basic assertion, is that most of modern knowledge about persecutions basically comes from one source, the RCC. Its hard to know anything about those times when the evidence comes from a flawed bias source.

In short the RCC admits they are liars. For example RCC tradition says Peter wrote 1P and 2P which scholars date after 90AD or so, while the church itself says Peter was crucificed on an upside down cross in the 60s. They both cant be right. Mark was supposed to be a fellow traveller with Peter and its accepted he wrote his gospel after 70AD which is again incompatible with Peter dying around 65.

Were there persecutions of peoples, of course their were life was hard back then, but its hard to know if they were really xian for starters. Its just as hard to verify that St Geoerge really killed any dragons. Perhaps the simple answer is its all bullshit.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit