Checklists for High-Control Groups/Cults

by Lady Lee 26 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Tater-T
  • FreeGirl2006
    FreeGirl2006

Thanks Lady Lee...now if only I could convince my sibs to read this!

• LoisLane looking for Superman
    LoisLane looking for Superman

Wow, Lady Lee, Thank you.

just Lois

• Zordino
    Zordino

LL, I like that you put them all together. Marking.

• earthfire
    earthfire

Thank you so much for putting this together. I wish I knew how to get my brothers and sister to read this. God this is so frustrating!

• happy@last
    happy@last

Marking - helpful thread, thank you

• ohiocowboy
    ohiocowboy

Thank you LL for taking the time to compile all of this helpful information! Anyone who thinks that JW's are not a cult have their heads buried in the sand (or in a particular orifice)-lol

It is sad that oftentimes people are so involved in a cult that if they do ever leave, it takes years if not decades to be truly free from the thought control and other peculiarities, even ones that may seem insignificant. I've been away since about 1986, and I still occasionally catch myself humming "Kingdom songs". It causes a huge WTF moment when I realise what I am doing. Another example is going to a store, and when I see a tie I automatically start thinking about the Kingdom Hall, etc.

I wonder what the cult recovery times are on average? Say for example if someone was in for 5 years, how long would it take for that person to become totally free of cult thinking? The longer one is in, I imagine the recovery rate would be longer as compared to someone who wasn't in as long. Of course everyone is different, and some may be able to recover in minimal time, but I wonder if there is a correlation, and if so, how significant it would be.

Again, thank you! I, and I am sure many others appreciate how you are always trying to come up with topics that get people to not only think, but heal from the influences of a dangerous cult.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

For those who wish to share this with a family member:

I might have missed some thing but as far as I can see there is no mention of the JWs in any of the lists; not their name or their beliefs. All the lists can be easily used to describe The Mormons, or Scientology or any fundamentalist group that takes away a member's freedom of choice. Tell them you found these great lists that describe ________ and they just might read them and see how they apply to other groups. Then let them think. Don't say one word about the JWs unless they ask. If they ask about something tell them to think about it.

Guaranteed their first reaction will be NO. Let it sit in their brain and percolate for a while. Might take a long while. They might defend the JWs and say "We don't do that!" But a little question will sit in the back of their mind "Do we?"

Again if they ask you suggest they go to every meeting for a week or two and listen and read to see if these things are being said or done. Remind them these lists were all made without the JWs in mind.

Thought Reform by Lifton came from his research on Chinese prisoners in "re-education" camps during the 50s.

When Steven Hassan first wrote his list he knew nothing about JWs.

The other lists make no mention of the JWs so they should be safe to use. But they have to make the associations. Then they can come asl you and you better be surprised that they see the similarities.

Now I wish I could find the other lists that were posted here. One was particularly good but I can't find it.

• Terry
    Terry

An interesting interview with former scientology executive about why he stayed for so long in a highly controlled situation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rfUlL0_TCQ

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Thaks Terry I think it is important for us to realize that all cults operate the same way and that we are not an exclusive group. Others will understand

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit