Snarky Question

by earthfire 24 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• earthfire
    earthfire

So I have a question that's been bothering me for years. I know this is extreme but I think you'll see where I'm going with this. So ex-JW's are evil we're on "Satan's side" as my dad told me and we aren't worth a hello. Typically ex-JW's lifestyles are very normal nothing crazy. Plus I tend to think that we probably care a bit more about people because we know what it feels like on the other side of things.

Having said that, why are Witnesses allowed to do so many worldly activities? Like:

1. Rock Concerts and music in general. The people they're going to see or are listening to on the radio, ipod, etc. aren't always living a "clean lifestyle" ( I wasn't even allowed to play an instrument even when my music teacher came to our house twice and begged my parents to let me play because I had a lot of potential in that area ) and JW's happily enjoy the music without thinking about this. (Though there are exceptions and certain witnesses will call other witnesses and tell them what they think about another's actions)

2. Movies and TV. I don't care if it's the most G rated program. It's all created by "worldly" people. Why should JW's get to enjoy things created by people they are busy loathing and judging?

3. Books. It doesn't have to be Harry Potter, they're all written by non-JW's

4. Restaurants. They're talking to and enjoying the services of waiter's and waitresses, cooks, etc. who may not be witnesses. Who knows what kind of lifestyle they have?! omg

5. Cars, clothing any material item you can think of. All things are made and designed by the multitude of worldly people. Some of these people are good and some not so much. Some of the items are made ethically, most are not. The manufacturing of most items harms the planet, which I know, I know, it'll be fixed after the big "A" so isn't that big of a deal.

6. One of my biggest pet peeves, WHY do they not have any type of charitable giving that doesn't include giving to the WTBTS? No help for the hungry, homeless, abused.

Basically, why do they get to shun us and treat us horribly but they won't deny themselves of pleasures that come from our side of "the tracks" so to speak. Why are they allowed to have and do anything they want but not look at where it comes from? Why aren't they more like the Amish and similar groups? Not that I want that but I do believe the JW's are on the fence which is not a good place to be for a witness....

• AnneB
    AnneB

Numbers 14:9? ("...do not YOU fear the people of the land, for they are bread to us.")

• earthfire
    earthfire

Oh okay, so the world and it's people are here to be used.

• jgnat
    jgnat

I know an elder's son who was dating a pharmacist's daughter for years - he assumed as a "worldly girl" she was after only one thing - but he had no interest in the girls in his own hall because he thought them too "easy". He played in a grunge band on the side. All watched over by his helicopter parents.

What were they doing? I figure they gave him a long lead, as long as he stayed a Witness.

. . .

I have never understood my JW husband's enduring interest in popular music, but he refuses to listen to a lite gospel track. Christendom eeevil; the Animals, cool. I've lately been listening in on the Animals' lyrics, whooo-eee!

. . .

The message, isn't it, to stay loyal to the team and you can pretty well do anything. It's messed up values, for sure.

• blondie
    blondie

So you think the Amish don't benefit from the "English"...who do they sell to in many areas

*** w81 9/15 p. 22 par. 9 Disfellowshiping—How to View It ***

“I wrote you to quit mixing in company with fornicators, not meaning entirely with the fornicators of this world or the greedy persons and extortioners or idolaters. Otherwise, you would actually have to get out of the world.” (1 Cor. 5:9, 10) In these words Paul realistically acknowledged that most persons whom we contact in our daily affairs have never known or followed God’s way. They may be fornicators, extortioners or idolaters, so they are not persons whom Christians choose as regular, close associates. Still, we live on this planet among mankind and may have to be around such persons and speak to them on the job, at school, in the neighborhood.

*** w83 10/15 p. 18 par. 9 ‘Do Not Use the World to the Full’ ***

As witnesses of Jehovah living in this system of things, we cannot actually “get out of the world.” (1 Corinthians 5:9, 10) So we can appropriately use the world in balanced, proper, limited ways. For instance, since we pay our taxes, we are entitled to certain services furnished by the governmental “superior authorities.” (Romans 13:1-7) We properly use postal, police and other lawful services, such as transportation systems. For what purpose? For proper living and to carry on the God-given work of Kingdom witnessing. But since we are not to use the world “to the full,” all such things are used only to the extent that they serve Christian interests.

*** w84 10/1 p. 9 pars. 2-4 Why We Must Be No Part of This World ***

“I request you, not to take them out of the world, but to watch over them because of the wicked one. They are no part of the world, just as I am no part of the world. Sanctify them by means of the truth; your word is truth.”—John 17:15-17.

3 What does it mean to be “no part of the world”? Does it indicate that Jesus’ followers must avoid all contact with non-Christians?

Christians Cannot Be Isolationists

4 Surely, Jesus did not expect his followers to isolate themselves in exclusive religious communities.

• earthfire
    earthfire

That's all fine and good but what about extra curricular activities where you don't HAVE to be in the situation but you choose it. Like with music, books, movies, going to dinner rather than eating in, things that you do for fun. Not just the necessities. I know it's unrealistic but I still think they're hypocrites.

• villagegirl
    villagegirl

6. One of my biggest pet peeves, WHY do they not have any type of charitable giving that doesn't include giving to the WTBTS? No help for the hungry, homeless, abused.

Matthew 25:35-45
    Holman Christian Standard Bible (HCSB)
    35 For I was hungry
    and you gave Me something to eat;
    I was thirsty
    and you gave Me something to drink;
    I was a stranger and you took Me in;
    36 I was naked and you clothed Me;
    I was sick and you took care of Me;
    I was in prison and you visited Me.’
    37 “Then the righteous will answer Him,
    ‘Lord, when did we see You hungry and feed You, or thirsty and give You something to drink? 38 When did we see You a stranger and take You in, or without clothes and clothe You? 39 When did we see You sick, or in prison, and visit You?’

42 For I was hungry
    and you gave Me nothing to eat;
    I was thirsty
    and you gave Me nothing to drink;
    43 I was a stranger
    and you didn’t take Me in;
    I was naked
    and you didn’t clothe Me,
    sick and in prison
    and you didn’t take care of Me.’
    44 “Then they too will answer, ‘Lord, when did we see You hungry, or thirsty, or a stranger, or without clothes, or sick, or in prison, and not help You?’

45 “Then He will answer them, ‘I assure you: Whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for Me either.’

• earthfire
    earthfire

Thanks for all the info, that's perfect

• Lynnie
    Lynnie

yes it seems that the "new JW's" are allowed to do much more than I ever was when I was younger. My second cousin who is 33 and is "on the fence" and has other JW buddies that they are ALWAYS going to rock concerts and music venues which were highly discouraged in my day 35 years ago. Oh and reading books of any kind was forbidden for me unless of course they were WT publications. So I snuck books home from the library and read them late at night. Couldnt' waste my money on albums that was wrong too. Oh and let's not forget higher education, we I decided to go back to school for education my family said "why would you quit your good job to go back to school" and "dont' expect any support from us". Thank goodness for student loans.

Oh and how about participating in marathons and triathlons? Isn't being competitive bad and takes too much time away from the ministry? My same cousin is constantly going with other JW's to compete in these races which are usually held on Sundays and I'm sure they are missing the meetings to participate. I really don't get that one but the rules were very much harsher for me for some reason.

• vajeni82
    vajeni82

My immediate snarky reply: Because the GB has decided they can make more money by not moving everyone to a sealed off commune.

I will say, a lot of the items you mentioned (concerts, secular books etc.) are frowned upon in various degrees depending on what congregation you go to.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit