A question for the English

by apostate man 28 Replies latest jw friends

• apostate man
    apostate man

I have no intentions of starting a flame. But, I have a few questions.

I was reading this thread http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/forum/thread.asp?id=24652&site=3&page=1 and it occured to me that Americans and Brits have a lot NOT in common. I will admit I am not very educated when it comes to England.

What do the schools teach about the American Revolution and England getting its hiney spanked?

Do you actually say "The Queen Her Majesty"? or just "Queeny"

Does the water over there really suck as bad as I hear it does?

Do the women have hairy armpits, or is that France? lol

How do you view the U.S. and its citizens in general?

What about Cananda? Aren't they like a "leg" of England?

Do all your buildings sink into the ground about an inch every year?

You guys going to the Euro dollar?

Like I said, I am very uneducated about England and Europe in general. My wife and her family all flew over there. They left Sept. 10th and landed at Heathrow early Sept. 11th. Talk about a long week. They were able to go that service at St. Pauls and see the Queen and actually had there picture taken when they were waiting outside. Anyway, the pics I saw of the area looked quite boring. And most of the English I have met over here seem to be stuck up or have a chip on their shoulder(maybe I am wrong?).

I am just curious about these things and always have been.

• apostate man
    apostate man

I forgot to ask:

Do they air any American TV shows?

American commercials?

Are your teeth really bad or is that a myth? No orthodontists?

AMerican movies prevail?

I once chatted with a girl from Australia one time and she said that American movies were popular in Aus. but usually did not come out until about 6 months after they did here.

What are the most popular vehicles there?

• 144thousand_and_one
    144thousand_and_one

"God Save The Queen"

Sex Pistols

• dmouse
    dmouse
    I have no intentions of starting a flame.

Yeah right...

What I don't like about America is all those wide open spaces..surrounded by teeth.

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Lol…could not resist this one.

What do the schools teach about the American Revolution and England getting its hiney spanked?

They teach that Americans took a long while to learn how to make the perfect cup of tea. Their first attempts involved Boston sea water and gigantic tea bags. Their most contemporary attempts at tea-making seem to involve brightly colored waxed paper cups and a finished product that tastes a little like one would imagine an C18th Boston cup of tea might have tasted.

PS - What is a ‘hiney’, don’t you mean ‘blimey’?

Do you actually say "The Queen Her Majesty"? or just "Queeny"

Neither - perfect English grammar would have the statement made in this manner- "Her Majesty That Old Queen".

Anybody who sucks English water deserves all they get.

As I am not given to the American habit of peering beneath womens armpits, I will I am afraid have to pass on this question.

Most English people view Americans as the type of people who might elect Born Again Christians as President of their nation. A laughable notion I admit, but it may happen some day.

Canada is more the bunion of England than the leg, although it makes a much better job at sheltering terrorists than it ever could have imagined at the planning stage.

This would mean that the superb "Westminster Abbey’ would have sunk sixty-six feet by now. Sounds to me as if you have been speaking with the US Foreign Diplomatic Corps, who are of course, very well known for the razor-like knowledge of their universe which makes up the area of the closet of their latest Mistress.

Only if the coins and notes are really, really pretty. We have our standards you know.

Do they air any American TV shows?

Not too many, terribly busy getting out into the World and doing something rather than growing fat and bulbous watching TV ads.

American commercials?

No thanks.

Are your teeth really bad or is that a myth? No orthodontists?

Now that the steel industry has been dismantled by Her Majesty Thatcher, no steel for teeth braces is available, hence the crooked teeth scenario. I understand that most of Pittsburgh works around the clock to ensure straight teeth in America. God bless the steel industry and all who chew on her.

What are the most popular vehicles there?

The same ones that most Americans would love to afford but can only do so if they are Chinese Americans or New York pimps, Mercedes, Volvo, Saab, Porsche, Lada’s.

Best regards - HS

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

I like British people. I have met several, a keen sense of humor seems to be part of the British make-up, more so than with Americans. I agree that the citizens of this country may be stupid enough to elect a religious zealot for president. Dubya comes pretty close, I think that Pat Robertson and the rest of the Christian mafia were pretty happy at him being elected. I don't blame the British for being a little bit cynical towards America.

• Nemesis
    Nemesis

Apostate man:

“What do the schools teach about the American Revolution and England getting its hiney spanked?”
    They teach accurate history [hopefully], and we ruled more than a quarter of the planet so a few North American states weren't such a big deal.

“Do you actually say "The Queen Her Majesty"? or just "Queeny"
    Why are Americans obsessed with our Royalty? Most English give her little thought or comment, many find the Royal family extremely boring.

It can do, the only thing predictable about our weather is that it’s unpredictable!

Your insular American education is sadly showing! Of course English women shave their pits, so do the French, it’s the big butch German women you need to worry about!

How long have you got?

No

whaaaaaaaaa? Where do you get this stuff?

It’s called the Euro, not dollar, and no not at present, we are keeping our Pound for now.

…And most of the English I have met over here seem to be stuck up or have a chip on their shoulder(maybe I am wrong?).
    You are very wrong, American urban myths are the worse when applied to England, you all seem to see us as we were 150 years ago, or from some quaint 18th Century period drama in an old English country house! Come to London for 6 months and you will see a highly modern city, over 320 languages spoken with a massive wealth of history, culture, and interest. Travel around the UK for 6 months; see the real England [i.e. London is not a good representation for the rest of England anymore than New York if for the whole US.]

Do they air any American TV shows? American commercials? Are your teeth really bad or is that a myth? No orthodontists?
    Yes we get all the American stuff, good and crap, far too much of the crap. Teeth are just as good as Americans but you tend to obsess on the teeth and forge the brains! (Just teasing)

Take a look at this web site; it’s one of yours! Some details are slightly out of date, but it will give you a reasonable start. Just click on ‘U’ and then United Kingdom.

http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/

• Nemesis
    Nemesis

Oops, I misread water for weather! I drink bottled anyway. Tap water is OK, but not to my taste.

• Beans
    Beans

Wow I`m glad I live here!

Beans

• larc
    larc

Hillery,

I rarely take exception to something you say, but your observation about tea in the States doesn't ring true to me. I don't know anyone who would drink tea out of a paper or styrafoam cup. We have several varieties of tea in our household and only drink it out of a proper cup. This is true of others I know who drink tea.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit