Is claiming your baptism null and void an exit plan?

by awakening 24 Replies latest jw friends

• awakening
    awakening

I have read some of you talking about baptism not being a legaly binding contract as, for most it was undertaken as a minor. Has anyone successfuly nulled their baptism and exited free of consequence?

• lostinnj83
    lostinnj83

I would like to know this as well!

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Since getting baptized identifies you as one of Jehovah's Witnesses, I suspect that VOIDING it would suggest that implies "So-and-so no longer is one of JWs". Same as DAing.

Doc

• Gopher
    Gopher

This would be a tough one, because any civil authority considering making such nullification available would have to do it for all religions that baptize minors, including Catholics.

• Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury

I would guess that if seen as part of an exit strategy by the elders then it would be same as DA, but if seen as a genuine plea for a rededication and rebaptism then it could be allowed (after much scrutiny).

• lostinnj83
    lostinnj83

@Gopher- I see what you're saying but the reprecussions are far worse for JW minors who are baptized than with any other religion :/

• jgnat
    jgnat

Just a quick note of correction. The rituals and traditions followed within the walls of a church are not legally binding. How a local elder body decides to view a nullified baptism is all up to them (or however headquarters decides they are to intepret it). I suspect that if they think you are apostate, out you will go.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

If it helps you to release yourself of the brain washing you received by this religious cult by all means go for it.

• THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR

jgnat Just a quick note of correction. The rituals and traditions followed within the walls of a church are not legally binding .

Very true. I was onlt 13 when I was dunked; too young to make a legally binding decision.

• Lied2NoMore
    Lied2NoMore

When i sat with 2 elders 2 weeks ago I mentioned that I was NOT recommended for baptism back when I was 16 by last elder to do questions with me.

I said I did NOT answer YES to two baptism questions because during talk I realized I had not said a prayer of dedication.

I said I was afraid and humiliated and too scared to step out of line and not go get dunked so I did.

All true events = my baptism is null and void,,,,elder manual says elders CANNOT override...it is between God and me.

I just don't know if I should write a letter to make it official, I don't want that to lead to sanctioned shunning by elder body.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit