Drug Abuse-There is an answer! Awake 07/01

by LDH 17 Replies latest jw friends

• singsongboi
    singsongboi

i agree with dungbeetle... it is "slanted" writing. completely subjective!!!

also

1.- you can find similar stories in publications by nearly all religions ( well, christian ones anyway!!)

2. there has been a helluva lot of heavy drinking to the point of alcoholism among jws, even at the top.

an old timer told me, that when the WTS owned the radio station (the angels flying in mid-air) 2HD in newcastle, nsw, australia (which was a long time ago) - the neighbours were really pissed off with the heavy drinking. - it made newcastle a "sour" place to witness in for decades.

• KistByQpid
    KistByQpid

LOL...So when this person was higher than a freaking kite "for days on end"...s/he decided the JWs had all the answers. [8>] Yes, clean and sober, crystal clear sobriety...that's what I'm talking about! Talk about giving up one bad habit for another.

• SloBoy
    SloBoy

LDH,
    So true. And to think, they were the ones to introduce me to the idea of 'blood-guilt'.

• larc
    larc

One testamonial does not prove anything. As was pointed out, any religion can make such a claim.

Now, what happens to a Witness who has a drinking problem? The elders tell him or her to go out in service more and make sure they get to all the meetings, because, after all, this perscription is the cure for everything. Very sad, indeed.

• Imbue
    Imbue

Actually the new family book mentions briefly that one should seek out side help if necessary for alcoholism or drug addiction. They do not endorse an outside enterprise as AA does not either. Of course each elder has his own ideas about these things and tries to press it on the cong. Usually it's to NOT seek outside help.

The last shepherding call I had about 6-7 yrs ago I got into an argument with the elder about this. He's a drinker himself; if you get my drift. He's the kind of elder that has to have a bottle of Scotch after a JC. His wife is so numb from all the wine she drinks I'm not sure if she is alive. I feel like saying to "hey are you still in there."

There is so much untreated alcoholism and so many adult children of alcoholic parents that never sought treatment in the congs.I can't stand to be around them. It's such a non-nurturing atmosphere as a result of not seeking treatment. This is where all the judgmental behavior is coming from alcoholism.

Crazy is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

• bigboi
    bigboi

All a witness has to do is ask themselves, "is God really so insecure as to feel threatened by me asking professional for help to solve a problem that is hindering my service to Him"? Doesn't the Bible say that one man sharpens the face of another?

ONE...

bigboi

• LDH
    LDH

If you read the thread I started yesterday called "Why JWs can't confess their sins," you will understand how they continue to shoot themselves in the foot.

Because the congregation is literally afraid to go and confess their sins to the wolf in sheep's clothing Elders, there is never any help for them.

Wouldn't it be much better if the WBTS had set up a program for its own members who are struggling with addictions? Wouldn't it make great sense?

BUT they can't do that after 90+ years of railing about how 'they are no part of the world' and how they 'keep their congregation clean,' i.e., remove anyone who can't keep up the puppet act.

See how stupid they are?

Lisa

• COMF
    COMF

The society won't come right out and recommend AA or "worldly" counseling, true. But they came as close as they probably ever will, with an article in the Awake of December 8, 1982, entitled "Living With Alcoholism" and told by the wife of an alcoholic. Note that although the society doesn't recommend AA, they allow this sister to espouse some of the principles of AA, and to describe how she was helped by it.

"Several times he went to Alcoholics Anonymous (AA). They talked about alcoholism, but he felt he didn't need to hear that. His problems were at home, he thought. My hopes were then dashed again. I felt trapped, angry.

(She describes first herself and then her husband contemplating suicide)

"The next morning I knew I had to do something. I got in touch with AA, and they referred me to a woman in my area who had faced a similar situation. She recommended a local group made up of family members of alcoholics. So I attended some meetings.

"They helped me to see that I really couldn't blame myself for my husband's drinking. He had started before I even met him. Those in attendance seemed to be in control of themselves. They were cheerful and openly discussed their feelings. They lived one day at a time. That's what I had to do! And even if the same problems were there, I had to realize that today had all the anxieties I could handle. I recalled Jesus' words at Matthew 6:34: "Never be anxious about the next day, for the next day will have its own anxieties."

..."as I listened to them talk about living with an alcoholic, I learned a number of helpful things. The most important thing I learned was this: I shouldn't shield my husband from the consequences of his drinking, as I had been doing. Instead, I had to help him realize the problems his drinking was causing. It took a great deal of strength to overcome so many years of negative thinking, but I was determined. I began applying these suggestions.

..."on one occasion some months later, he drank all night. But when he got up the next day he asked me to take him to the hospital. He couldn't take it any longer. I had him call the doctor and make the arrangements. When we got to the hospital, he admitted himself and remained in therapy for two months.

"Well, several years have passed now and our life together is getting better and better. It hasn't been easy for either of us. We must constantly guard our thinking and motives.

..."Learning to take one day at a time was a big help in controlling anxiety. In particular did I benefit from learning not to shield or protect my husband from feeling the consequences of his drinking. Without such insight, I don't know what might have happened.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit