Drug Abuse-There is an answer! Awake 07/01

by LDH 17 Replies latest jw friends

• LDH
    LDH

HAR HAR HAR, lifted from the pages of http://www.watchtower.org

regarding this subject, you'll be glad to know that human efforts fail but if you get right with God via the Jehovah's Witnesses, Jehovah will cure you in his own due time!!!

So you see, they are STILL discouraging people from seeking professional help.

http://www.watchtower.org/library/g/2001/7/8/article_03.htm

Some Succeed

Detoxification may first get addicts off drugs and then improve their physical health. Unfortunately, the chances are that once an addict returns to his usual environment, he will be tempted to return to drugs. Writer Luigi Zoja gives the reason for this: "It is impossible to simply eliminate a behavior without redirecting the patient towards a completely new dimension."

Darren, mentioned in the preceding article, found a "new dimension" that changed his life. He explains: "I was a professed atheist, but in time, even though I was on drugs from morning till night, I came to the realization that there must be a God. During a period of two or three months, I tried to break free from drugs, but my friends would not let me refuse them. Although I still took drugs, I started to read the Bible regularly before I went to bed. I associated with my friends less often. One evening my roommate and I were very high on drugs. I mentioned the Bible to him. The next morning he phoned his brother, who was one of Jehovah's Witnesses. He referred us to a Witness who was living in the same city as we were, and I went to see him.

Many have been motivated to break free from drug abuse

"We talked until 11:00 p.m., and I left with about a dozen Bible study aids. I started to study the Bible with him and stopped abusing drugs and smoking. About nine months later, I was baptized as one of Jehovah's Witnesses."

Breaking the drug habit is not easy. Michael, mentioned in the preceding article, reveals the difficulties he had when he stopped taking drugs after 11 years of abuse: "I found it very difficult to eat and thus lost weight. I also experienced sensations of pins and needles, had sweats, and saw auras around people. I felt a tremendous craving to return to drugs, but drawing close to Jehovah in prayer and studying the Bible helped me to stay clean." These former drug abusers agree that it was essential for them to break away totally from their former associates.

Why Human Efforts Fail

Illicit drug abuse is just one facet of a larger global problem. An overwhelming influence for evil, violence, and cruelty grips the whole world. The Bible says: "The whole world is lying in the power of the wicked one." (1 John 5:19) That "wicked one" is identified by the apostle John at Revelation 12:9: "So down the great dragon was hurled, the original serpent, the one called Devil and Satan, who is misleading the entire inhabited earth; he was hurled down to the earth, and his angels were hurled down with him."

In addition to his own weaknesses, man has had to contend with this powerful enemy. Satan is the one who caused man's downfall at the start. He is determined to bring further degradation on mankind and to turn them away from God. Mankind's abuse of drugs appears to be a part of his strategy. He is acting with great anger because he knows that "he has a short period of time."—Revelation 12:12

and yet:

What Is God's Solution?

The Bible reveals the Creator's loving provision to redeem mankind from their sinful condition. At 1 Corinthians 15:22, we are told: "Just as in Adam all are dying, so also in the Christ all will be made alive." Jesus willingly came to earth as a perfect human and sacrificed his earthly life to redeem mankind from the effects of sin and death.

Knowing the reason for death as well as the solution to man's problems has given many the motivation and courage to break free from drug addiction. But the Bible does more than help us deal individually with the drug problem now. It tells of the time, after the termination of Satan's influence, when all the world's ills, including drug abuse, will end permanently.

The book of Revelation describes "a river of water of life, clear as crystal, flowing out from the throne of God and of the Lamb." (Revelation 22:1) This symbolic river pictures God's provision through Jesus Christ to restore man to perfect life on a paradise earth. Revelation describes trees of life flourishing along the river and states: "The leaves of the trees were for the curing of the nations." (Revelation 22:2) Those symbolic leaves picture Jehovah's curative provisions to restore mankind to spiritual and physical perfection.

At last, man will be free, not only from drug abuse but also from all the other ills and problems that plague him in this degraded system!

So, when you get the urge to drop X or smoke that blunt, just Pray!

(also, this same method works when you feel the urge to masturbate, LOL)

And whatever you do, don't seek the help of organizations like Narcotics Anonymous. Although they have proven success at helping people who struggle with addiction, they can't REALLY help you because they won't direct you to the Jehoobers!

Lisa

• Budda Belly
    Budda Belly

Lisa..

What's a Blunt?

BB

• Francois
    Francois

People who report such success with the JWs are already ripe for some sort of rope to be thrown to them as they sink deeper into the quicksand, even if there is a religious nut at the other end.

Francois

• ApostasyDuJour
    ApostasyDuJour

Twelve step programs make mention of "God as we understood him" in some of the steps. That these programs allows for individuals to free-think their own belief in a Higher Power galls the WTBTS, which is why no positive mention is made of such programs in WT literature.

Apostasy Du Jour
    15 years clean & sober
    22 years Borg-free

• 144thousand_and_one
    144thousand_and_one

Lisa,

"Jehoobers?" I love it!

Budda Belly,

If you're asking that question, you need to get outside more often.

• SYN
    SYN

HEHE, ApostateDuJour, we should start an Apostates Anonymous sorta thing:

"Hi, I'm [SYN], and I'm an apostate" (hand clapping) "I've been clean for 3 years now!"

[SYN], UADA - Unseen Apostate Directorate of Africa - For Great Justice!

• somebody
    somebody

I just started reading the article and this just made me go into hysterics.

even though I was on drugs from morning till night, I came to the realization that there must be a God.

ya think they would have used a better example. eh? or do I have warped humor?

continuing on with the article now,
    somebody

• LDH
    LDH

Apostasy,

Thank you for sharing with us. I am aware of what the "Anonymous" programs teach, and you hit the nail on the head.

JWs won't direct people to those programs because the program advises you <<<to get to know God personally, in the way you feel comfortable with the concept.>>> I think they call it "God to your understanding."

They also did not even one time mention professional help, ie from a therapist.

That's right, REAL SOON NOW (TM) Jehovah will cure you! [8>]

Lisa
    laughing because Buddha asked "What's a blunt" but apparently he knows what it means to drop X. LOL.

• dungbeetle
    dungbeetle

The Watchtower always does this the same way, as they did with the 'battered women' article recently. They say with addicts "they sometimes go right back to using'. they say with battered women 'they go right back to their abuser'.

This is not entirely true, and represents slanted journalism at its 'best'.

Many people suffering from addictions do not change their life entirely the first time they try. They don't reach all their goals in one sweeping motion. The average addict only succeeds in getting/staying clean after several tries; the average battered woman only succeeds in getting free after several tries, sometimes as many as half a dozen.

Which doesn't even take into account the numbers of individuals struggling with addiction who don't survive to reclaim their lives in THE FIRST PLACE.---even yet...

So typical.

(((((((( LDH ))))))))))

• Amazing
    Amazing

Leave the JWs and your chances improve greatly that you can kick drugs and alcohol.

Following Bible principles, we will avoid trying to live - or demand others to live - by an extensive and rigid set of dos and don'ts that go beyond the teachings of the Bible. The Watchtower, 4-15-02, pg 22, pp 15

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit