Why did the organization stop providing food during conventions?

by redvip2000 27 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

They didn't like me pouring cups of tea while staring down the cleavage of buxom young sistas when I should/could have been getting a sore arse on hard seats listening to some boring old fart telling me, again, that bArmygeddon was going to kill me and my worldly schoolmates before the 20th century ended.

• allelsefails
    allelsefails

There was a federal suit that made the literature "free". This also made convention food "free" 2 years of losing the income = no more food service. Even tho all the labor was "volunteer" they couldn't make the profit they wanted off it.

Oh - "You have turned my Father's house into a house of robbers.."

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep
    2 years of losing the income = no more food service.

...and I thought it was all about ME

• Hoffnung
    Hoffnung

Purely an after effect of the Jimmy Swaggart court case. If you sell food or anything else on a regular basis (assembly halls are used almost every weekend of the year), you cannot claim this is a rare event (rare in like once-in-a-year) that should go tax free, but is classified as a commercial activity, just as selling literature for a fix price. As the watchtower's society TAX FREE STATUS is more holy to them than anything else (including God, Christ and whatever is written in the bible), they would not risk this holy status for sandwiches and coke.

Hoffnung

• tiki
    tiki

osha regulations - food handling legalities - $$$ issues -

then people started going out to lunch and that was bbbaaaadddd......so the rule to bring your own and sit in your seat and eat. then they didn't like it if in the summer people went outdoors and picnicked in the grass or went to their car and ate properly refrigerated food.....so that had to go (remember smacks of the world - tailgating). sit in your dammm chair idiots and eat your dry peanut butter sandwich and drink your stale tepid soda and enjoy gratifying spiritual fellowship. and because your lunch is likely constipatory we don't have to worry about you leaving your seat for the loo during the program....or using too much tp.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I have noticed a reduction in quality of the witless experience the whole time I was in. It starts with cutting the quality of the food, and then eliminating it altogether. Also, you have reductions in congregation parties and gatherings not for theocraptic things. Then the washtowel rags started getting wimpier. The Asleep! was cut to once a month. They split the washtowel rags, and now the showcase washtowel and the Asleep! are smaller. Boasting sessions are fewer, as they combined the book study into another boasting session. The Kingdumb maladies are fewer in number, shorter, simpler, and even more horrendous than the old ones.

With the diminishing of quality, is it any wonder people are leaving? True, they were a scam back then. But, at least there was a story line behind it, a form of art work in living that kind of life. Now, it's nothing but soul-numbing crap. Regardless of excuses the Filthful and Disgraceful Slavebugger gives for cutting out the food, I suspect the diminishing of quality of the witless experience is a big part of the reason, possibly even ahead of reducing expenses.

• designs
    designs

Making fresh Donuts and Soft-Serve Ice-cream at the Assemblies was fun, kill-joy is thy middle name Wt..

• moshe
    moshe
    Making fresh Donuts and Soft-Serve Ice-cream at the Assemblies

designs,

we had our own popcorn and mini-donut machine in our circuit- the brothers really jockeyed to get the jobs running those machines-- of course, they had them, because they were big money makers for the circuit. Can you believe , we prepared fresh hot lunches for Saturday and Sunday sessions of the Circuit assemblies back then? - The JW human experience has gone into the toilet from what it was when I came in over 40 years ago-

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit