Watchtower Birthday Logic

by enigma1863 23 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• enigma1863
    enigma1863

The Watchtower bases their opposition to birthdays by two scriptures, saying something bad happened and god must have put it in there for a reason. Following their logic are there any other things JWs shouldn’t do because bad things happened in a couple of scriptures?

• jgnat
    jgnat

Well, there are plenty of things that aren't mentioned in the scriptures at all. Jehovah's Witnesses, in my opinion, should avoid them all. This includes buttons, zippers, automobiles, airplanes, escalators, cell phones, computers, and rubber boots.

• BU2B
    BU2B

By this logic dogs should also not be allowed for JWs. They are mentioned not 2 but 40 times. Each time they are menitoned in a negative light. Therefore if birthdays are not allowed for a mere 2 negative mentions how much more so dogs.

also

2 Samuel contains the only instance where a siesta is mentioned in the Bible, and results in a beheading.

2 Samuel 4:5-7 "And the sons of Rim′mon the Be?er′oth?ite, Re′chab and Ba′a?nah, proceeded to go and come to the house of Ish-bo′sheth about when the day had heated up, as he was taking his noonday siesta. And here they came into the middle of the house as men fetching wheat, and then struck him in the abdomen; and Re′chab and Ba′a?nah his brother themselves escaped detection. When they went into the house, he was lying upon his couch in his inner bedroom, and then they struck him so that they put him to death, after which they removed his head and took his head and walked on the road to the Ar′a?bah all night long.

"Is it just coincidental" that the Bible has an account showing the danger of a noonday siesta, or would most people feel that to be reading too much into the passage?

Also check out Are Cats for Christians satire on jwfiles.com. This shows how they can twist anything to meet their reasoning.

• BlindersOff1
    BlindersOff1

Every biblical mention of dogs is negative . No JW should have one .

• jgnat
    jgnat

When I suggest the above list to my hubby he says, "Don't be rediculous". I smile.

• cobaltcupcake
    cobaltcupcake

Taking a dump. Didn't some king or other get offed while doing that?

• sir82
    sir82

Somewhere on this board there is a post about how using the WT "logic" on birthdays, it would be wrong to wear cosmetics

-- only Jezebel & pagans are listed in the Bible as wearing it

-- Jezebel's wearing cosmetics was associated with the death of Jehovah's servants

-- the purpose of it is to draw attention to the indivdual, not to honor God

-- early Christians did not wear cosmetics

There were a half-dozen other similarities - all spot on.

• metaspy
    metaspy

Taking a dump. Didn't some king or other get offed while doing that?

Eglon was killed and his servants thought he was taking a dump.

Judges 3:22-24

22 Even the handle sank in, and the blade came out his back. The king’s fat covered the whole sword, so Ehud left the sword in Eglon. 23 Then he went out of the room and closed and locked the doors behind him. 24 When the servants returned just after Ehud left, they found the doors to the room locked. So they thought the king was relieving himself.

• WishingLiz
    WishingLiz

Too funny jgnat. What about cushions, milk and coasters...

• jgnat
    jgnat

I am sure there is a milk scripture somewhere....Exodus 3:8. Milk is approved. And honey.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit