Korah's Parable

by DT 10 Replies latest jw friends

• DT
    DT

I was doing some research when I found Korah's Parable on Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korah

Korah incited all the people against Moses, arguing that it was impossible to endure the laws instituted by the latter. He told them the following parable: "A widow, the mother of two young daughters, had a field. When she came to plow it, Moses told her not to plow it with an ox and an ass together (Deut. xxii. 10); when she came to sow it, Moses told her not to sow it with mingled seeds (Lev. xix. 19). At the time of harvest she had to leave unreaped the parts of the field prescribed by the Law, while from the harvested grain she had to give the priest the share due to him. The woman sold the field and with the proceeds bought two sheep. But the first-born of these she was obliged to give to Aaron the priest; and at the time of shearing he required the first of the fleece also (Deut. xviii. 4). The widow said: 'I can not bear this man's demands any longer. It will be better for me to slaughter the sheep and eat them.' But Aaron came for the shoulder, the two cheeks, and the maw (ib. verse 3). The widow then vehemently cried out: 'If thou persistest in thy demand, I declare them devoted to the Lord.' Aaron replied: 'In that case the whole belongs to me' (Num. xviii. 14), whereupon he took away the meat, leaving the widow and her two daughters wholly unprovided for" (Num. R. xviii. 2-3; Tan., ?ora?, 4-6).

I just thought it was interesting and was wondering what you thought about it. I may mention it in a writing project I'm working on so I might not share many of my thoughts until I'm finished with it.

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

Hmmmmm. . . Almost sounds like this was written by a bunch of mysogynistic assholes in the Bronze Age. . . .

• Bella15
    Bella15

Is this in the Quran?

• prologos
    prologos

good research.reminds me of the old kingdom song lyrics: take ---my live, take my all---

no wonder many here wish for watchtower's fall.

Korah is a nice story for those in power.

of course the latter day moses class will not make it into the antitype promised land either.

Killing the goose that layed the golden egg.

• transhuman68
    transhuman68

LOL, I had never heard of Korah's Parable. That is rather funny. My guess is that the Book of Deuteronomy was completed by the priestly class in Babylon during the exile, and all those commandments were just a 'wish list' that was never field-tested or properly adhered to later. Although it does remind me of the tax system in Australia...

• problemaddict
    problemaddict

Ummmmm. Am I the only one looking these verses up?

• cobaltcupcake
    cobaltcupcake

The Mosaic Law is just slightly less complicated than the American tax code.

• DT
    DT

Thank you for your comments. For me, this puts Korah in a different light. He seemed to be far more concerned with the plight of the common people than Moses and his pals.

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

So I guess this proves their are 2 sides to every story or perhaps the number is limitless.

We all know which side of the story an authoritarian a Non Prophet Corporation will except.

• mP
    mP

Its amazing how many stories in the OT are about one group attempting to usurp power from the priests and Jehovah stepping in to destroy them for their heresy. On the other hand , you wont find a single story where a man gets zapped by Jehovah for raping a woman, adultery or pedophilia. You goto wonder why Jehovah is so concerned by rich priests and doesnt give a damn about poor orphans, woman or slaves.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit