For anyone unsure as to whether JW's are a cult..please read...

by lostinnj83 19 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• notjustyet
    notjustyet

In reference to Steven Hassans BITE model,..

Behaviousr control

Information control

Thought control

Emotional control

I have a plan to ask the elders to research this model and apply it to my life to see how I should feel about being trapped in a cult.

My simple 2 word rhetorical statement will be to " BITE ME!!!!"

NJY

• carla
    carla

Always a good reminder and for newbies! thanks for posting.

I have Lifton's book and when it all hit the fan in my house when my jw first joined up I read that book and was scared shtless. How could MY husband join this crazy cult? ahh, well, years later and too many cult/thought reform books to count here I still am. sigh.

• Twitch
    Twitch

Lifton's points broke the dam for me

• Londo111
    Londo111

Lostinnj83: I had the same thought processes. When I awakened to the realization that Watchtower theology couldn’t be the truth, I denied it was a cult for a time. Until reading Steven Hassan’s first book. In retrospect, it’s all very clear.

Sadly cult awareness is nil among most people and mind control is not understood at all. It should be part of public education.

• 2+2=5
    2+2=5

I now how you feel. The society paints all apostates as evil crazies who lie and try and destroy other people's faith.

In reality waking up to TTATT is one of the saddest and most difficult things I have ever done.

I don't claim to have the answers, and I am not crazy or a liar. That description better suits the WT Society.

• 00DAD
    00DAD

marking

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

Hey bro,

I mapped the JW experience to Steve Hassan's BITE model. Very revealing! I'll post it up soon. How do I 'tag' it to you?

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

saved to print it.

would make an interesting topic of conversation if they ever call on me again after the one...

oz

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

If discussing this with a JW do not use the word cult, if you do a big discussion on what is exactly a cult according to their definition follows, and you never get to discuss the mind-control and high control issues.

We all know they fit the definition of cult in its pejorative sense in so many ways, so, if it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck and tastes like a duck,

it is a duck.

But just don't say the "C" word, or the word cult either !

• glenster
    glenster

If your leaders' substantiation for exclusiveness (such as being the leader of
    a literal 144,000) is like the radio receiver in Popoff's ear, and they require
    needless harm (such as refusal of life sustaining medical care), you may be in a
    cult.

"Helter Skelter," 1976
    1 hr., 53 min., 30 sec.: Revelation chapter 9
    1 hr., 58 min., 50 sec.: 144,000--the Manson family
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8IaePIyQww
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helter_Skelter_%28Manson_scenario%29
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helter_Skelter_%281976_film%29

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit