Quote Re: Elders Whose Kids Go To College Might Lose Privileges

by Justitia Themis 24 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Justitia Themis
    Justitia Themis

I seem to remember some new 'rule' that elders whose children go to college, or perhaps it was out-of-state college, should be carefully examined to see if they still qualify.

Does anyone know where that is in the publications?

• notjustyet
    notjustyet

I think it had to do with some review that would rate the elders on being able to give talks at the Conventions, could be wrong.

So I donlt think that it was in a actual publication for the Rank and file, could be wrong.

Would love to see it again if it is out there.

NJY

• Splash
    Splash

BOE Letter 3/6/12a-E

(page 1) Appointed men must be exemplary in heeding the warnings given by the faithful slave and its Governing Body when it comes to education. (Matt. 24:45-47) Would an elder, a ministerial servant, or a pioneer continue to qualify to serve as such if he, his wife, or his children pursue higher education? Much depends on the circumstances and how he is viewed. When such a situation arises, the body of elders should consider the following questions and scriptures:

(page 2) On the other hand, if an elder or a ministerial servant is promoting higher education to others for the material advantages or the status it may bring, he is calling into question his qualifications to serve the congregation because of the effect on his and his fellow appointed brothers’ freeness of speech. (1 Tim. 3:13; Titus 1:9) The body of elders may therefore determine that the brother no longer qualifies to serve."

(page 2) In view of the foregoing, each elder should make the following notation next to the subheading “Situations That May Raise Questions About an Appointed Man’s Qualifications” before paragraph 15, chapter 3, in the Shepherding textbook: “See letter dated March 6, 2012, to all bodies of elders for direction on considering the qualifications of appointed men in connection with higher education.”

You will not be suprised to learn that this has never been put into any public literature.

Splash

• Ding
    Ding
    Much depends on the circumstances and how he is viewed.

Don't you love these veiled threats?

It's all about appearance.

• sir82
    sir82

Basically, if an elder's kid or wife goes to college, the elder MIGHT possibly still "qualify" to be an elder, IF he does everything he can to keep it quiet from everyone else.

But if goes around saying "my kid made the dean's list" or something demonic like that, then zzzzzip! out the door he goes.

• Justitia Themis
    Justitia Themis

Thank you all!

Sir...thanks for the laugh this morning! LOL!!! Sir83 said: But if goes around saying "my kid made the dean's list" or something demonic like that

• Justitia Themis
    Justitia Themis

Splash: Do you know if this BOE letter is posted anywhere?

BOE Letter 3/6/12a-E

• Splash
    Splash

Great question Justitia,

I think Atlantis posted it some time back, but I'm afraid I'm not that tech savvy so can't send it to you.

Hopefully someone else can assist?

Splash

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

I don't know about anything officially in print. I was personally told by an Elder that if a Brother allows his child to attend College, then that brother WILL NOT qualify for privileges. With technology today, a person can attend classes via computer, and limit " bad association ". So I wonder what Higher Education even means to JW's? Do they even know?

Webster's :

Definition of HIGHER EDUCATION

: education beyond the secondary level; especially :education provided by a college or university

Watchtower: 10/01/2005

" The educational system varies from country to country. In the United States, for example, public schools offer 12 years of basic education. Thereafter, students may choose to attend university or college for four or more years, leading to a bachelor's degree or to postgraduate studies for careers in medicine, law, engineering, and so forth. Such university education is what is meant when the term "higher education" is used in this article. On the other hand, there are technical and vocational schools, offering short-term courses that result in a certificate or diploma in some trade or service.

So it would appear that any schooling beyond High School, lasting for up to 3 years but not beyond, would be a vocational school. If you have four or more years, then you are getting into Higher Education. Seems like a case of straining out the gnat to me, but that is what the Pharisees did best.

So, could a Jehovah's Witness youth attend classes on-line for 4 or more years, with just a few classroom tests to earn a degree? If the "dangers" associated with Higher Education are eliminated would it then be allowed? What does the Bible say about Higher Education?

Splash, I just saw your post. This is yet another reason why the Shepherd the Flock book is off limits to the rank & file. Being ignorant of the facts makes them scared of damaging their relationship with God. But how could they know? Why, ask the Elders of course! Who do the Elders follow? Why, the GB of course! If you are not privy to facts, and just listen to what is said at the KH, and CA and DC, then you are under the impression that Higher Education is strictly taboo. The Shepherd book shows that there really is no scriptural basis against Higher Education. Keeping the rank and file in the dark serves the aims of the WTBTS. Plus the WTBTS legal representatives can always say that they never condemned Higher Education. Devious control at it's finest!

• minimus
    minimus

Just don't promote going to college,,,, the reality is they demonize higher education so how could there be freeness of speech?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit