Why I think (in a nutshell) why this org is approaching collapse

by cptkirk 32 Replies latest jw experiences

• cptkirk
    cptkirk

In a nutshell: I think that (and I do not enjoy thinking about this)...I think that the crazies within the religion (who range from just low level people to co elder do and up) have won so many battles at this point (over the more balanced people/ideas)......that the people who tend to think in a more balanced fashion (whether they themselves be low level or higher up) are getting to be the real minority. I think this dynamic, will be what finally sinks the ship.

As we see with any organization (corporate or otherwise), many times there are reports that make you wonder (how is this thing alive or prospering?), and upon closer scrutiny, there are strong people in the background holding the walls up (who themselves get little attention). When those individuals in the background finally deteroriate (due to exasperation for obvious reasons)....the foundation begins to heavily weaken, and usually the crazies take this as a sign that they should get even crazier (because they have never even had a clue since day 1 to begin with).

This is the dynamic that I believe we will see go into high gear within the coming years. I really do not foresee reasonable people grabbing ahold of the wheel and correcting the course. Not that the course was ever correct to begin with, but at least it was sustainable on some level.

Obviously the first person who comes to mind is Ray Franz.

I know they have always been the minority, but when the ratio goes from 1:5 to 1:50, that will be the end.

• villagegirl
    villagegirl

There is something in human nature that draws people to "miracle cures" and dramatic and powerful and 'secret' knowledge, or the idea that such things exist. Its like the 'conspiracy theorists' , they feel an excitement over their membership in an off-the-grid group of 'thinkers' who think they know whats running things and other people don't. Scientology has this same appeal. The "Organization" works for the men at the top. It works for men in particular. I know an elder, who inherited wealth, and his wife inherited wealth and they live large, travel all over the world and are "Stars" in their congregation, where he is an elder, and 'Stars' in their own minds. They are comfortable, well liked and do as they please. The "Truth" makes them feel even more special. They feel untouchable. To exam the injustices, the preposterous teachings of the WT, the failed prophesies, the absurd foundations of Egyptology and the Occult that this religion rests its feet in, is something they can just ignore. There are no embarrassing reminders in the Kingdom Hall library. Its a society of short-term-memory-loss. The fact that the world governments were supposed to turn on organized religion and the churches were supposed to all dry up and blow away, as described in the literature of the 70's and 80's , the fact that the exact opposite has happened, and that there are now huge Mega Churchs in their town, of evangelicals and the Catholic Church down the street from the Kindom Hall is bursting at the seams while the KH attendance has dropped to a handful, is just not on their radar, it doesn't register.

• mP
    mP

Religion is dying everywhere in the first world, with America a probable exception. There are 4 churches within 2 blocks of me, and only one gets any attendance. THe rest have become community halls, one is a small flee market etc.

• cptkirk
    cptkirk

that was well put. the religions of the world could be prospering more than ever, but the jws would see that as even more a sign than ever that they are crumbling lol.

• cptkirk
    cptkirk

who else would you put in the first world though? most of the earth is 3rd world by landmass. middle east/africa/south america....and of course there will be an explosion of religious activity in china and north korea once they pull back on their stance right? (i have no idea)

• Sparlock the Wizard
    Sparlock the Wizard

I don't believe that a lot of the more moderate members leaving will lead to the religion's collapse.

Crazy does not necessarily mean stupid or incompetent. There are plenty of overzealous brothers and sisters that are useful resources to the org. The most extreme example I can think of is Fred Franz, who clearly was crazy imo but contributed an enormous amount towards shaping organizational policy and doctrine. The organization relies much more on overzealous yet productive members of the R&F that also donate cash to fund its worldwide operations.

If most moderate member end up leaving, I don't think the difference would be all that noticeable, honestly.

• cptkirk
    cptkirk

i'm not exactly taking a heavy position here, just throwing shit out there. but i think my math is pretty good. i think that a lot of the good that helps prop this thing up, comes from (even outside people) that feel they are doing something good for society (as per the PBS special)....when it is clear that it is just full of crazies, i think it really does mean something across the board. as far as donations, and good will from outside sources, as well as the capability for people on the inside to hold up under pressure (ie. its a lot harder to have faith when you know your peers are kookoo)

• yadda yadda 2
    yadda yadda 2

I (like) your (reasoning)

• cptkirk
    cptkirk

don't think i said that at all, really don't appreciate being bullied either.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

An ex-Elder who still attends told me some months ago that "all the good people are leaving". He still attends as he has probably the biggest extended family that I know of, and they are all in the JW's to some degree, (there always seems to be one or more of the tribe DF'd at any given time, but they all claw their way back in).

Any person with a brain or a conscience finds they have to ignore the promptings of one or both in order to stay in. It does not bode well for the long term survival of the religion.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit