Shun Run 2013

by rawe 35 Replies latest jw friends

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer

-

“This will really make the JWs feel persecuted and, thanks to your "Shun run" make them feel even more convinced they have the truth. I can see them huddling in the safety of their kingdom halls talking about how close the end is and how they've got to keep the congregation clean from corruption and persecution. Nice one, guys - you're helping 'em beef up their faith.”

Steve2,

Are you serious?

Since when is such a healthy activity in anyway negative?

Individuals so deeply entrenched they’re incapable of cogent thought are not in need of coddling as though anyone should indulge their fears. That sort of conduct reduces society rather than enriching it. You might as well sit atop a sealed bunker trying to reason logically with a deluded preper convinced you’re a malevolent alien from another planet who’s assumed human form.

The main point of the activity at issue is to enrich the lives of participants. The idea that seeing or hearing these participants might help any of Jehovah’s Witnesses is purely an ancillary benefit, and solely for Witnesses capable of cogent thought, which there are plenty of.

Marvin Shilmer

• rawe
    rawe

Hi Carla,

Thanks. Indeed, here on the forum and elsewhere there are alternative to the propaganda a JW Bible Study would otherwise get from his or her teacher. Personally I feel strongly about freedom of religion and respect the rights of the Witnesses. I merely ask them to consider changing their policies to align better with the Universal Declaration of Human Rights. I have family members who remain in the faith and to the extent they allow, I continue with a respectful relationship. In fact, I continue to attend the memorial for that very reason. Just-so stories some in the faith might tell about how Ex-JWs feel is often silly -- we're individuals. It is of course true that some of the anti-Family, anti-Blood, anti-Religion and anti-Goverment stance and rhetoric of the faith has unfortunately lead to persecution. Alas, it is the individual Witnesses in countries like Russia and elsewhere who bear the burden of such persecution, while the leaders at HQs merely make the policy.

Cheers,

-Randy

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer

rawe,

Your planned activity sounds wonderful. Please let us know how things go. I love to hear of healthy outdoor activities, no matter the cause or benefit.

Marvin Shilmer

• Glander
    Glander

If it would help maybe we could find an amputee 'blade runner' carrying a sign, "The Watchtower Cut Me Off!"

• QueenWitch
    QueenWitch

Are you wearing Sparlock shirts? :)

• haboob48
    haboob48

I'm in!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sounds great to me! I'm in the east valley....................Hi also to Gayle!

Hb48

• rawe
    rawe

Hi Marvin,

Absolutely! We took pictures last year and posted them online. As mentioned I tend to post over on the Yuku Ex-JW forum more so than here, but will make the effort to get back and let you know how it goes. Thanks for the encouragement. Your comments about the value of this is exactly on point -- this is mostly for ex-JWs who we might be able to encourage, even if they are unable to come out to the event itself.

Cheers,

-Randy

• rawe
    rawe

Hi Glander & QueenWitch,

We did have T-shirts last year and I am hoping to do that again, depending on cost. Although it would be funny, I wouldn't use Sparlock since he is "owned" by the Witnesses. The logo we had on the back last year had a silhouette of a family holding hands.

Cheers,

-Randy

• rawe
    rawe

Hi Hb48,

Looking forward to seeing you there! It was a lot of fun last year. We did the walk then headed off to Dairy Queen for an ice-cream all dressed in our Shun Run T-Shirts. I should also mention that I sent a couple extra T-Shirts to two moderators on the Yuku Ex-JW forum -- so we've hit three spots on the globe (USA, UK and Australia).

Cheers,

-Randy

• steve2
    steve2

Thanks guys, you've responded well to my wet-blanket response. Marvin I take your well expressed points as well.You've raised some very good points that I had not given much patient thought to beforehand. You're right: the witnesses don't need much practice in feeling persecuted anyway and they'll pretty much think what they like - although, as you suggest, if it can make people just a little bit more alert about the organization it will have been worth it. Most of all, you come across like a respectful group who is simply trying to publicize your point of view. All strength to you.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit