Shun Run 2013

by rawe 35 Replies latest jw friends

• rawe
    rawe

Hi Everyone,

I am the organizer of the Chandler, AZ Ex-JW meetup group. Last year our group organized a "Shun Run". Nine of us walked and ran to bring attention to the issue of shunning. I have been finalizing the details of this year's event. On Sunday, March 24th, 2013 (the Sunday before memorial) we will be meeting at noon at Papago Park in Phoenix. The Double Butte Loop walking trail is 2.3 miles through this lovely desert park. There is also a shorter loop for those who do not want to walk as far.

Afterwards the group will be invited to head down to the Phoenix Public Library where I have rented the "Lecture Room" for one hour from 2:00pm to 3:00pm. I am hoping to arrange for 4 or so speakers. I am planning on sending an invitation to the congregation closest to the library so they can provide a speaker to defend the shunning policies of Jehovah's Witnesses. Naturally I expect they will ignore us -- but if they did want to defend their faith, we'll give them the opportunity.

More details can be found on my post at the Ex-JW Forum on Yuku: http://exjehovahswitnessforum.yuku.com/topic/25386

Hope to see you there!

Cheers,

-Randy

• Gayle
    Gayle

Wow, Randy, I plan to be in on this! Hope we have an good Arizona follow-through on this. I have a houseful of visitors that weekend but intend to make at least some of this. Thanks for organizing this!!

You have done such a full break-through here in Arizona for your whole family - quite successfully!

• Gayle
    Gayle

Randy,,please, forward this on to the Phoenix West side group.

• clarity
    clarity

Great idea ...good for you Randy & all who support this.

>

I'm in Canada, otherwise I'd be there with bells on!

clarity

• RayPublisher
    RayPublisher

Good for you Randy! Let us know how it turns out.

• steve2
    steve2

This will really make the JWs feel persecuted and, thanks to your "Shun run" make them feel even more convinced they have the truth. I can see them huddling in the safety of their kingdom halls talking about how close the end is and how they've got to keep the congregation clean from corruption and persecution. Nice one, guys - you're helping 'em beef up their faith.

• rawe
    rawe

Hi Gayle,

Thanks! I sent a note both to the Chandler Ex-JW and West Phoenix Ex-JW mailing lists. The Chandler group will be having our regular meetup on the 6th, however I plan on being at the West Phoenix on the 20th as well. It will be great to see you guys again!

Cheers,

-Randy

• rawe
    rawe

Hi Clarity,

I am original from Canada. Grew up in and around Quesnel, BC, before moving to Phoenix in 1998. Left the faith in 2007 after 27 years of deep involvement, became USA citizens in 2010, living life since then. If you ever head down our way, please feel free to give us a shout. I most often post on the Yuku Ex-JW recovery forum.

Cheers,

-Randy

• carla
    carla

What an excellent idea to bring this to the general public! As for making the jw's feel even more persecuted, do they need an excuse? They always feel persecuted! for goodness sakes, my jw thinks I persecute him just for disagreeing with him.

When the jw's go knocking on doors someone may remember the run and it will be one less possible indoctrination. I know the doors do not convert very often but they make a few new jw's every now and again, I know, mine is one of them.

• rawe
    rawe

Hi Steve2,

Last year when we did the Shun Run we did a loop around the Casa Grande Assembly Hall. Like this year it was the Sunday prior to memorial, so I thought their would be a good chance no one would be using the Assembly Hall that day. Alas, there was -- a Spanish group! Although my family was a bit unsettled by this I approached, one of the attendants and discussed our plans and agreed to respect their property line. Well... I was then quite surprised when we headed back to our starting point about 1.5 miles away to get organized and when a Pima County Sherrif Deputy showed up! She was actually very nice and just told us to respect their property, not impede traffic and be careful.

About 1/2 the group ran in a loop. When we got the Assembly Hall we were running past on the road, you see the attendants trying to hide behind pillars watching and moving along with us ;-)

Of course how people feel is beyond my control, all I can do is express what the real purpose of the event is. It is not to embarass Jehovah's Witnesses or protest one of their meetings, etc. The walking trail on Papago Park is a public trail and I don't think there is a Kingdom Hall even close to the downtown area of Phoenix where the library is. No, the real purpose is to help the ex-JW community, by showing one can speak up, be respectful and even have fun while you're at it.

Cheers,

-Randy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit