Interesting Read About a JW Missionary in China

by Wolfy 17 Replies latest jw friends

• scotinsw
    scotinsw

Great article. Didn't kow that they are actively encouraged to cultivate friendships with the locals.

• lisaBObeesa
    lisaBObeesa

Great article...I hope more people read it!

I noticed that this writer, like the writer of the Gawker article, used the word "zombies" to describe the Witnesses.

• alecholmesthedetective
    alecholmesthedetective

Yeah I thought the same Scotinsw, cultivating friendships with worldly people will only lead to spiritual detriment, the branch office should consider itself responsible for any witnesses realizing how loony the religion is when exposed to conditions which will make such a realization even more evident...

Alec

• TheOldHippie
    TheOldHippie

Amusing story, written by some novel writer enganged by the magazine to create a fake story. JWs in China do not act like that, and the Japanese branch which supervises the work would NEVER encourage making "worldly" friends as a way of tricking the gospel into them.

Nice try, but totally fake.

• RayPublisher
    RayPublisher

Sorry OldHippie but I feeol you are dead wrong.

I actually spoke to the author of the article she is very nice, and she is the real deal. She authored a longtime podcast on what it's like to go to China, how to survive as a westerner, learning the language, etc.

On what basis do you say the whole thing is made up?

• Steve_C
    Steve_C

@TheOldHippie, I live in Taiwan. I know life here and have interacted with JWs both in Taiwan and from the mainland. I've spoken with Amber, who used to work for ChinesePod in Shanghai. Her story is all too true.

Nice try yourself.

• dozy
    dozy

https://believermag.com/leaving-the-witness/

The original article Amber wrote - if the book is half as good , it will be well worth buying. Whether "technically" a missionary ( generally in the JW world it strictly only refers to Gilead graduates ) I'm not sure , though I have heard of many "need greaters" calling themselves missionaries.

edit : woops - wrong thread.... didn't mean to bring up this old thread. Reposted......

• careful
    careful

dozy,

Thanks for bringing back this link. I'd remembered reading it several times in the past six years, and it was very timely of you to resurrect it with the NY Times article that some have just posted about her book. Cheers!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit