WT Society, Travel agency? Latest money making scheme?

by dropoffyourkeylee 23 Replies latest jw friends

• dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee

Recently there was quite a buzz at the local hall of people applying to be a specially approved candidate to attend an international convention overseas. One person I knew applied to go to the assembly next year in South Africa. She was elated to find she and her daughter-in-law were accepted for the South Africa site. Now she finds out that the WT society's arranged tour will cost $8000 per person (US). She will probably back out as it is beyond her ability to pay. The advance letter and application did not give the cost. So my question is this, does the WT society get any portion of this? Is this simply another moneymaking scheme of the Society. It really sounds fishy to me.

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

Yeah, I've heard of similar situations with past international conventions. A couple were accepted to go to Greece and almost fell over when they were informed it came close to $10k. I told them for that kind of money you could tour Europe for a whole summer and have money left over. They bit the bullet and went anyway.

Said it was the trip of a lifetime. Could not expect them to say otherwise after forking out enuf $$$$ to buy a Hyundai.

As for whether the Society is on the take - why not? Bastards!

[EDIT]: Happy post 3000 to me!

• steve2
    steve2

As wise men over the globe and over time have discovered to their financial delight, there is more than one way to fleece willing sheep... Baaaaa Hum bug...

• Calebs Airplane
    Calebs Airplane

You too can feel special for only $10,000... (meals not included... oh, and please remember to use only one sheet of toilet paper when using the lavatories at the assembly)

• irondork
    irondork

I just checked a couple of US travel agencies.

Average 15 day European vacation per person:

Roundtrip Airfare: $1500 (could probably get cheaper flight)

Eurorail Tickets 500

Food 1500 (could probably eat for less)

Lodging 1500

TOTAL 5000

This does not include any tourist attraction fees.

The International Assembly cost should come in well under 10K for 2 people.

• St George of England
    St George of England

Here in the UK they use Moseley Travel. If you want to go to the Malta DC you have to be approved and then use this travel agent. They are bound to get a back-hander for sure.

http://www.jwtours.co.uk/Malta-District-Convention-of-Jehovah's-Witnesses/

George

• pontoon
    pontoon

Does the corporation do anything that doesn't make $$$???

• designs
    designs

In the era of online booking this makes no sense.

• Tater-T
    Tater-T
    Does the corporation do anything that doesn't make $$$???

no.. they are not a Charity!!! and they will tell you that it's in their charter for God sakes

• 88JM
    88JM

I'm sure they are a great money maker. Expect to see more of these "special conventions" as the borg gets more strapped for cash.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit