Topics Witnesses Should Seriously Think About

by Darth Rutherford 19 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Darth Rutherford
    Darth Rutherford

Designs, certainly your comments are welcomed and appreciated. I'm afraid you may be missing our point. I am not opening a thread to debate whether Christ is our mediator. The Bible at 1 Timothy 2:5,6 makes it clear that there is one mediator and it is Jesus. This basic understanding is not limited to the New World Translation, but it is one of the basic tenants of the New Testament and Christian belief.

I am simply trying to share some thoughts that helped me awaken from the slumber that all Witnesses still share. We all are on a journey for truth, and that journey will provoke many questions -such as the ones you're asking. I am not trying to provide answers to those questions, but rather look for ways to help stir one's thinking abilities. We need to look for ways to trigger cognitive dissonance in a people who will only look at their Bible and the organization's publications for answers. However, I believe that is enough to help someone. If we are armed with scriptures and references, along with some good questions and discussion points, we can help our loved ones begin asking questions and seeking answers for themselves. The organization is so weak that just a few scriptures in the right place can cause the whole thing to crumble. Let's work on helping our friends in the organization to think for themselves. Trust me, once they begin to think, there will be time to discuss deeper things later. Until then, let's not put the cart before the horse.

• Giordano
    Giordano

I am a total non believer but.......I agree with Darth. As a non believer I can't help an active witness who believe's but doubts/questions the WT'S teaching about those scriptures. They are not going to be interested in my reasons for my non belief unless they are drifting in that direction.

I don't know the % of drop outs who are fading because of 'new light' issues or organizational issues or simply becauce they no longer believe in god and the bible.

It takes many different approachs and positions to cover the variety of people who have serious questions and issues.

Having said that........... Designs I am a big fan of your posts. Bravo to both of you.

• villagegirl
    villagegirl

Designs - I haven't read a New World Translation in twenty years, I read the New English and the Jerusalem translation which are much clearer and closer to the original Hebrew and Greek and way more readable.

Becoming an Atheist strikes me as a sort of refusal to really give up the teachings of the WT.

By this I mean Its like an "ALL or NOTHING" reaction, as if the teachings of other religions could not possibly have any value or truth.

It seems fear based to me. Nothing personal, it just strikes me that JW's are so convinced of their "special knowledge" that to be "ordinary" and part of any other group is like a humiliation to them so they go all defiant and spit on God.

• designs
    designs

All- I understand, just thinking that 4 Point Presbyterians hold to Limited Atonement unlike the more popular Unlimited Atonement theology made popular by Wesley. So some of these texts have opposing views even by mainstream Theologians and Covenant theologies. 1John 2:2 is an example of opposing interpretations by the two camps.

I spent time with a New Covenant offshoot of the Bible Students, MCF, after leaving the JWs. Very nice people, and this was one of the topics brought up a lot in our Bible studies as the Russell Bible Students and the JWs had differing views.

Whatever leads someone out though is alright.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Dear Village Girl, you are making the same mistake as many believers do, with your "Atheists hate God" thinking. We cannot hate, dislike, spit on or have any feeling whatsoever about someon/thing we know does not exist.

You will be claiming I spit on Santa Claus next !

I think my journey to where I am today is typical for many XJW's.

I did not go directly from JW to Non-theist. I first examined the JW/WT religion thoroughly in the light of what the Bible actually says, I then examined many other chrisitian sects and was fascinated to see how many interpretations of Bible thought and of faith there were, why so many ? Was there something wrong perhaps with the basic text book, the Bible ? so I examined that and found that it could not be the word of God.

I then began to think about proof for the existence of god, any god, I found none. So, as a rational and not delusional person I am where I am today.

Back on topic, I do thank you Darth for your post, very helpful to many I am sure, this aspect of the mediator was not one I considered until I had walked away, but boy, once I had looked at it did it free me ! I realised that I had no need of an organizeed religion, I could worship god in the way I chose.

As I have said above, I am no longer a believer, but when I was, giving thought to the kind of stuff you posted was a great help. I am sure you will help many on the road to freedom.

• FingersCrossed
    FingersCrossed

Great one!

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

designs, there are more scriptures about Jesus being a mediator than there are about the Faithful and Discreet Slave yet those d-bags in Brooklyn have used it to justify an entire printing company.

Any debate with JW's about Jesus being a mediator is pointless. The WT and the GB have replaced Jesus in the Watchtower religion.

• nugget
    nugget

Good questions. Mst witnesses do not realise that Jeasus is not their mediator they do not keep pace with the changes themselves.

• designs
    designs

Mr. Freeze- agreed. Wt. Leaders were looking for any excuse to become the NYC version of the Church of Rome. Jesus gets dangled in front of the Other Sheep, the carrot the mule finally gets after a long days work.

• tornapart
    tornapart

Great thread DR!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit