How many of you followed the WTS direction on education years ago and have been screwed by it?

by Julia Orwell 119 Replies latest jw friends

• Someguywhocares
    Someguywhocares

Lois, here is a copy/paste of a follow comment on another thread.

----

Had I attended MIT, I was planning on attaining my Doctorate in Physics with a 'minor' geared towards also graduating with a Masters in Business Administration. (So, I guess it would be more of a double major, lol).

For me, despite the straight A's in high school, it was Math, Science, Accounting, History & Psychology that were a 'cake walk' versus English type courses.

When my my sister was in 2nd grade, the decision was made to home school her starting with 3rd grade

*Note: this was, believe it or not, a decision that was NOT based on the JWs love of home schooling children. The actual reason was due to a genetic birth defect that lead to my sister developing into a woman at an insanely young age; and when I say 'developing' and 'insanely young' I mean 'able to become pregnant' at the age of 5. Thus, she was attempting to deal with out of control & irregular female matters at an age where her classmate would never understand what was happening, let alone the difficulty to her psyche. My parents both worked an hour away so if anything happened, no one was readily available or close by to go pick her up & get her home, etc. So, we arranged the last half of second grade so that, if needed, her school would call my high school (less than a mile away), my principle would get me from class, drive me to pick her up & then drop us at home where I could care for her, help her change out of stained clothes, etc.; again, I digress.*

I bring that up for the purposes of giving an example regarding my math, science, etc. mind...

When she began her home schooling - both parents still working an hour away - she could not even get 2+2 right. So, I got permission from my school superintendent to arrive at high school each morning - in home room as normal - to be present for roll call and then proceed to the office where the secretary would hand me my course work for that day.

I would then return home, wake up my sister by 8AM, have her shower while I would make her (and I) breakfast and then I - at 14 - became her teacher. I would instruct all lesson plans for her & grade assignments. We'd break for lunch, then back to work until the bell would ring at the school she would have been in.

She then was sent to the desk in her room to do her 'homework' to turn in to me the following day.

That is when when I would sit and grade 'yesterday's homework'. Upon completion of her school day, I'd then adjourn to my own room & workspace and I would now do my days school work at night.

The next day, when picking up my new set of work, I'd hand in my prior days work to the high school for it to be graded by the appropriate teachers and then I would head home for that day, repeat

Each Friday I would pack up my sisters school work - everything I graded - and then it would be mailed to the school for a teacher to review & ensure her education went correctly.

Then, it was 'lather, rinse, repeat' as it were.

I tell that story because that little girl, unable to perform simple addition, went on to become the YOUNGEST FEMALE CPA in Massachusetts history (at the time) when she was only 20 years old.

I was, I am and I always will be extremely proud of her for her success gained by her hard work

So, now you see why I have such stated love for math, science, accounting, et al.

• freddo
    freddo

Copy and paste from one of my posts. ...

• "Hello and welcome!" to Someguywhocares from Freddo in the UK.

1. Fascinating post - welcome to the forum; I for one am glad you care enough to join.

2. For those of us with less of an I.Q. and not having the attention span to benefit from such meticulous attention to detail, please reduce your posts to a more manageable level.

3. I am so sorry to hear of your physical condition, especially at such a young age - please do all you can to ameliorate it and take care of yourself. That sounds trite. Its not meant to be.

4. Looking forward to seeing more of your posts.

• dozy
    dozy

I was a straight A student but , of course , college or university wasn't even an option as "Armageddon was just round the corner" ( this was 35 years ago ). Since then I have tried to make the best of things - worked hard , had a variety of fairly low skilled jobs that didn't require a degree and made a reasonable living - but often I've wondered what might have been. Thankfully I've ensured my own kids have had every opportunity.

I now see some of my "worldly" contemporaries who are looking forward to retirements having had long , satisfying , rewarding careers and I'd be lying if it doesn't piss me off sometimes , though there isn't any point being bitter. What is so frustrating is that it was all based on a lie which my deluded parents fell for , hook , line and sinker. :-(

• GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

Saw this post pop up, reread it, and saw my own post from 3 years ago. I was underemployed and despairing. I was worried I wasn't resilient enough to work full time.

Pleased to say that this past August, I found a full time teaching job. Far from being unable to manage it, I work 10 to 11 hour days! My psychiatrist is very pleased. I had expressed that I was fearful of being unable to manage it, but she encouraged me to go ahead and try it; if it didn't work out, then I could quit. My bipolar disorder has stayed in remission and I feel pretty good. The only addition has been some ADHD meds which I've likely needed all my life, but I TRULY need now as there's so much multi-tasking in teaching.

The down-side to being a first year teacher is that I'm not tenured, so I only have a 10 month contract. The last hired is the first fired. I've just been informed by my principal that they've lost funding for my position for next year. :( If no one leaves, retires, or transfers, I'll be out of a job. She does believe that at least one of those things will happen and I'll be able to come back next year. But, I'm wondering if I should start putting my resume in at other schools just to be proactive.

It'll take 2 more years to get tenure/ be hired permanently, but my performance review is great, so I'm hopeful that everything will work out. It kind of sucks to be 45 and still not established in your career, but I have been able to pay off some debt, actually a lot of debt, even though there's more to go! I also have started a retirement account, so I feel a little more secure about the future. It'll take 10 years to be pension vested, but I should be able to do that. I'll still be able to retire at age 65 with 20 years of service. So much of this is about reducing the anxiety of being able to retire and live comfortably in our golden years.

If you're in your 40s, it is definitely worth it to start a new career. It is not too old, and there is time to recoup education costs and secure a retirement. If you're on the fence, my advice is to go for it!

• pale.emperor
    pale.emperor

I turned down a place in university studying medicine because "we won't need Drs in the new system" and "how is a medical degree going to get you through Armageddon?".

Fast forward 15 years and here I am in a regular office job that I hate. But hey, at least Watchtower got 40 hours a month out of me when I should've been living a normal young adult life.

• nowwhat?
    nowwhat?

Working dead end jobs in my twenties never occured to me that I would be doing landscape work in my fifties. Thanks watchtower!

• Ding
    Ding

It's truly sad to think of all the fulfilling careers that never were, all sacrificed to the WT's repeated failed prophecies.

Instead of admitting they were wrong, the organization redoubles its efforts.

• dubstepped
    dubstepped

I turned down scholarships to a great engineering program to pioneer. I also had a great business opportunity come my way just a month or so before pioneering that I turned down. I could have been on the cutting edge of the mobile technology movement. I clean houses now with my wife. Honestly though, I enjoy what I do and love our customers and cleaning saved me in many ways, as it helped open my eyes to lies I was told by the Borg about how "worldly" people were and gave me the chance to listen to books and podcasts all day that gave me new perspectives. Few things are all good or all bad, and I've made the most of where I ended up for sure despite missed opportunities.

• ttdtt
    ttdtt

Me and Totally!

• Luo bou to
    Luo bou to

I stopped because I believed the end would come during if not before 1975 no need for CPA's in the new system they were so adamant about this I thought since they were puttting their credability on the line should it fail they would be finished not knowing that they had done this before rewritten their history and gotten away with it only to con another group of suckers of which I was one

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit