How many of you followed the WTS direction on education years ago and have been screwed by it?

by Julia Orwell 119 Replies latest jw friends

• GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

I'm furious and sad about the old aptitude test from elementary school I found in my mother's hope chest this weekend.

I was testing 2 grade levels ahead and was in the 99th percentile.

Obviously my mother was proud enough to keep it, but there was NO encouragement to go to college. What a waste of all the 19 years after high school it took me before i finally got my degree.

• Gustv Cintrn
    Gustv Cintrn

Today's Hispanic JWs generally have smarttened up and are taking care of theirs and their kids' education. I mean, middle aged JWs are taking courses online in order to progress at their place of work.

It's a really good thing because, at least in this Country, a High School education won't get anybody any serious income with which to support oneself, much less a family.

Having said that, I look around the congs and there are many that won't have enough to survive if not for the Government handouts now in their old age. They toed the Org's line on education and now they'll sadly pay the price. In the excellent USA, the government will provide safety nets, but in many other countries their reality will be tough.

Hopefully, God will provide.

GC

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Gustv Cintrn: Hopefully, God will provide.

Wouldn't that require that:

1. God actually exists, and
    2. That he actually cares about helping people that listened to bad advice from other people that claimed to be his "Faithful Slave"?
  • Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

I was one of the many teens growing up during the early to mid 1970's .

At that time the WTS was promoting 1975 so much that most of the people my age simply dropped out of high school, thinking that education was just a waste of time,

which was deviously instigated by the WTS. in its articles via the Awake and Watchtower.

Of course when you've been brought up in this religion from birth, these forced and pushed doctrines set in your consciousness.

Some made it to grade 12 and finished high school but most dropped out and didn't pursue any higher education in Colleges and Universities.

This is another thing that gets many people up in arms about the WTS. is its unrestrained fear mongering that the end is soon doctrine which

in reality has been a commercialized fraud utilized to sell and proliferate the WTS's own publications.

• sparky1
    sparky1

Like GrreatTeacher, I too tested consistently 2 grades ahead. When I was in the 3rd grade the school psychologist wanted to move me into the 5th grade. My IQ tested in the 140's but my 'die hard Witness mother' didn't want to move me up in grades because it wouldn't be good for my socialization. (This same unbalanced woman that masqueraded as a mother) beat me for walking home from school with a non witness. (Go figure) At any rate, when I was in the 9th grade I drew some of the highest honors that year which included 2 Junior High Schools. She wouldn't allow me to accept them. We moved to another state and I had enough credits to graduate in the 10th grade. This being the 1970's there were not many progressive school districts and so the school denied me the opportunity to graduate early and I quit school to pioneer and become a Bethelite. (This in itself is another story) The sad thing about all this is that my Grandfather knew of my abilities at a young age and wanted to pay my way through university to become a lawyer. I wanted to become a Doctor. Long story short I never went to university but went into business for myself and semi-retired at 47 years old. My die-hard witness mother died in the year 2000 still thinking that Armageddon was going to come any day.........even while she was still in the hospital.

• Magnum
    Magnum

Count me in. I was screwed. I gave up educational, job, and business opportunities. Lived on almost nothing. Lived in a shack, an old bus, etc. while pioneering. Have zero retirement prospects. Will get very little social security because never made much money.

And, I too, scored at the top of many different classes during elementary school, high school, etc.

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell
    Thought I'd bump this considering Da Turd's latest rant.
  • disposable hero of hypocrisy
    disposable hero of hypocrisy

Well bumped madam. 

I'm screwed too.  Window cleaner for two decades.  No college or university. No retirement money set up.  Body failing in all sorts of ways.  Now I'm wondering what on earth I can do instead of my current job. Cack.

Jwpodcast has a good section about this this month.  

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot
    In 1975 I dropped out of high school in 11th grade in order to pioneer. that did not work out. Also, I have moderate scoliosis which could have been corrected during my teen age years while my spine was still growing. Now it's too late.
  • Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell
    Omg I'd hug you if I could!!! Can you learn a new skill?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit