Should Employers be WARNED about Jehovahs Witnesses

by BlindersOff1 47 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• jgnat
    jgnat

Eustace, I would like to see a wrongful dismissal suit won against a Witness-owned company for unjustly firing a disfellowshipped person.

• Honeybucket
    Honeybucket

When I was just starting to look into the job market at the young age of 16, I would tell the prospect employer that I was one of Jehovah's Witnesses. I did this because in so many magazines and TMS parts it would mention that employers would favor the witnesses because they have a reputation for being a loyal and honest employee. What they did fail to mention is that employers don't find JW's to be a cut above the rest. To them they are more of a liability; demanding work hours, odd work ethic, and preaching while on the job. I never did get a call from those who I told, so I stopped telling them. And then I was able to get a job. Funny how they pride themselves on attributes that MOST people have, but they fail to see the downside of their demanding religion.

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

No! I used to be a JW and employee, my life was complicated enough without the additional turmoil of what you suggest.

• BlindersOff1
    BlindersOff1

Good point

• gma-tired2
    gma-tired2

I still felt like a JW when I got a position as a supervisor, I soon learned to tell who were JWS by their talk and actions. Sad to say the ones I had working for me were demanding for their serving Jehovah. They felt they could miss work for any reason, (days off for service, assemblies, and anything else they could think of. We had certain weeks we told everyone not to ask for days off because it was too busy of time. They felt they were privileged even though no one could ask time off during these weeks, not even the bosses. (school district) I learned early to avoid hiring JWS if it was possible. I was so disappointed because I was still expecting great employees as we had always been told. I am retired so I can now admit it.

• thecrushed
    thecrushed

NO! absolutely not! A JW's life is hard enough without job discrimination based around religion. Yes they can be annoying and irritating but everyone has to eat and I love my Jw's just not their religion.

• thecrushed
    thecrushed

actually I find it irritating that this question has to be asked. I'm a humanist and I believe everyone should be given an equal shot at life no matter your belief system.

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

JWs are the reason i almost didnt get the best job i ever had!

Dont know if i have ever shared this but this thread on employing JWs probably is a good home for it...apologies if not.

I was unemployed, not long off the regular pioneer list seeing that we had just had a baby. Reality had set beck in and i had to leave what had been a pretty idealic time (working part time both of us) and head back into full time work. So there i was on a stinking hot day, delivering junk mail when i decided to call into the local jon service. Found a job i thought i could do and made the phone call....

Introduced my self to the boss who asked what my work history had been and i got to the 4 year pioneering part, "engaged as a full time minister doing evangelical work with jehovahs Witnesses" (what a crock of shit we told ourselves) his immeadiate, unhesitating reply?

"in that case i have no interest in employing you at all, goodbye"...

I managed to catch him before he hung up and asked why...I was pretty desperate for job. So he allowed me to explain a bit, he told me about a recent employee who "was a JW and was nothing but a pain in the arse". After some quick thinking and ad libbing about how we are not all like that he said "well you have mangaed to talk your way into an interview...but you are going to have to work hard to sell yourself"

And I did, and he was impresses enough to tell me as far as he was concerned the job was mine but his wife would be very opposed to it. next day i get a phone call to come for a second interview with the wife. he had told her (she worked in the firm as well) that the guy he wanted for the job was another JW and well, lets just say she was NOT enthusiastic, and i had to work harder to convince her that i would be ok to employ.

I got the job.

The JW was still working there when i started and boy was it obvious why he didnt fit in...he was always preaching. every time one of the 15 other workers had a birthday (so there were plenty of them) he would make a point of going into the typical JW speel about birthdays being pagan...(as if it mattered to these people) needless to say, they 'persecuted" him without mercy.

JWs as employees can do a great job in turning dozens of people OFF the witnesses. This guy turned off more than he could have ever hoped to convert in 2 lifetimes of missionary service.

And the best part?

The people that worked there became friends, the boss and his wife remain to this day (19 years later) the very best friends i have ever made. They saw me transition from full on JW to where i am today. The staff like to think they had a hand in 'corrupting me', and they did...

to them, a big thankyou!

Oz

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

I had a JW report to me. I found her a hard worker, very decent an an overall dependable person. I knew she was a JW, she did not know I was an ex JW. I never thought it appropriate to discuss religion. Since both of our departures from that job I have provided recommendations for at least one of her next jobs.

• GLTirebiter
    GLTirebiter

An inactive JW I used to work with complained about how she had to put up with Sister Zealous at work. Once Sister Zealous found out there was another Witness in the office, she took every opportunity to come to our side of the building for lengthy Theocratic chit-chat sessions. Mrs. Inactive did not appreciate that, she wanted the boss to see her getting work done instead of goofing off (not to mention other issues that come with distracting and and annoying the folks in the adjacent cubicles). It took a while, but Sister Zealous finally got the message.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit