I challenged a Dub out in service

by LisaRose 16 Replies latest jw friends

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

I was sitting in my car, finishing an egg McMuffin before going to the grocery store when I noticed a dubbie going around talking to people in the parking lot. I thought the chances were good she would approach me, and I decided I was going to do more than decline to take the pamphlet.

After I verified she was a JW, I said that I was a former member. I said "do you know what the Awake said in 1969? It said I would not have time to have a career in this system of things. I am 58 and I do not have a job". She replied that it was a personal decision, a conscience matter. I said yes, but they said the end was coming, I believed them, and based my decision on their bad prediction. it was a very bad decision, and they were totally wrong.

She argued that it was never official. I said that I was there, it was said, they taught it and are now lying that they taught it. She said, well, we all make mistakes. I said yes, but they claimed to be directed by God, so how could that be, this was not the only bad prediction, but one among many. I asked her with all the wrong predictions, why would I believe them now? She said, look around, we are in the last days, the crime, earthquakes, etc. I said, actually crime is going down in many areas, and earthquakes are not actually increasing. She said there is immorality and lying, people cheat on their taxes, etc. I said, well I don't, nor any my family, JWs are not the only honest people. There have always been bad people, there is no proof we are in the last days.

I have to give her credit, she by now knows I am totally aposate, but didn't get mad, she actually considered what I was saying. I said, look, I know you mean well, but you are misled. There are a lot of things they are not telling you, do some research. I don't think she believed me, but hopefully I planted seeds of doubt. I was just happy, this is the first time I have ever challenged a JW, without getting rattled (that brainwashing takes time to wear off). I was polite, but said what I had to say.

• 00DAD
    00DAD

She argued that it was never official.

Oh puh-leeze! If it's not "official" why can a JW be disfellowshipped for disagreeing with their "unofficial" pronouncements?

Great job bytheway, in maintaining your calm. You may have made a convert to the truth, the REAL TRUTH!

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

That is the perfect way to do it if you can maintain composure. Simply tell them straight up that the WTS is a lying organization, with proof to back it up. That 1969 example is awesome, because it is cut and dried, no way around what they said at that time.

Hopefully she will dig up the quotes herself and read them.

• ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent

Awesome thinking and presentation LisaRose!! You may have planted a seed.

Spreading the word about www.jwfacts.com is probably one of the best ways to plant a seed of doubt and it is easy to remember for a JW.

Peace be with you and everyone, who you love,

Robert

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

Good for you Lisa, last time I was talking to a sister with the table set-up in the subway station, I pointed to the Bible and said “the Bible has never changed so where’s all this new light coming from”? Of course I didn’t get a definitive answer, she said the more we study and research things the more knowledge we get or some bullshit like that, so I asked again if the Bible hasn’t changed why do the JWs beliefs change, of course she couldn’t think of anything new to say. What a pathetic bunch of losers.

• moshe
    moshe

Thank you for saying this. I am sure you killed there day of service to jehoover-

I always ask those smug JWs this question, "are you happy as a JW?"

if there is any hesitation or strained look on their face when the give the obligatory ,YES

I tell them, "You need to stop lying, you're not fooling anyone"

You might be surprised how many JWs don't argue the point and just leave-, defeated.

• clarity
    clarity

LisaRose ..... hi there

memorize this quote from the Awake! Try not to get sick.

>

"If you are a young person, you also need to face the fact that you will never grow old in this present system of things. Why not? Because all the evidence in fulfillment of Bible prophecy indicates that this corrupt system of things is due to end in a few years.

Of the generation that observed the beginning of the 'last days' in 1914, Jesus foretold: 'This generation will by no means pass away until all these things occur.'-- Matt. 24:34. Therefore, as a young person, you will neverfulfill any career that this system offers.

If you are in high school and thinking about a college education, it means at least four, perhaps even six or eight more years to graduate into a specialized career. But where will this system of things be by that time? It will be well on the way toward its finish, if not actually gone!" (22 May 1969 Awake!, p. 15).

Don't you just love this cult!!!

clarity

• whathappened
    whathappened

She is probably discouraged now and is telling everyone about the experience. This may cause others in her congregation to consider the true facts about Jehovah's Witnesses.

• perfect1
    perfect1

Good job Lisa Rose!

I think you did better than I did in my my adventure on the bus.

This kind of thing takes guts at any age, I am proud that you used YOUR OWN life experience to back up what you said.

• suavojr
    suavojr

Funny how I looked up the Awake mag in my 2012 WT CD-Rom and guess WHAT???? starts from 1970 up...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit