Why do witnesses need the title of pioneer to get 30 hours?

by BU2B 26 Replies latest jw friends

• BU2B
    BU2B

If witnesses believe that we truly are in the end of the end of the last days, and they believe the work they do will really save lives, and most can just make a few adjustments and get 30 hours, why dont they do this more often?? without the title?

To me if you really care about people you would not wait until you have a special title or badge to wear of look at me im pioneering, you would do the most you can every month and not care about recognition from men. Pioneering is a status symbol among JW's, why do you need it if you really believe you are saving lives? Just looking for more insight into the thinking of witnesses about this. I really dont know how they justify even counting time. They say dont compare yourself to others and then trot out the oldest and sickest people on the platform and say basically, if they can do it, why cant you?

• gingerbread
    gingerbread

This organization is all about numbers and titles. It has been from it's "humble" beginnings - around 1919, 2nd president of the Society - J.F. Rutherford - began to require weekly time reports from the "publishers." It's why we have a yearbook and experiences at the assemblies.

It would seem that if all of the JW's really believed that Armageddon is going to happen any day now, we would be going crazy warning everyone all of the time! It's "lip service" that most commit to doing - meet for field service, make a call, break for coffee, work a street or two, hit a yard sale, make a quick return visit, meet back at the hall, smile and compliment each other, share an experience, take off the tie before leaving the parking lot, get out of the suit/dress asap.

Duty done!

• Ding
    Ding

The WTS is all about living for the approval of men.

They justify it all by their claim that the leaders speak for God.

• blondie
    blondie

I had been approached by jws in my congregation saying the elders would not let them sign up. Not on restrictions, just don't get enough time in monthly, etc. I said exactly what you said, why not just make a personal goal of 30 hours. Do they announce auxiliary pioneers any more from the platform? or even require a form be filled out? In my days, it was posted on the information board. jws need titles to believe they count.

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

It's about titles and recognition. If I recall correctly, when I was a youngster in the religion, I seem to remember mostly women who had the titles of 'pioneer', and most of them were elderly. The other end of the spectrum was the young gal who had graduated high school and went into full-time pioneering.

For women - (in my opinion) - in the organization, it is a way to get the recognition that they need - and otherwise would not get, since they cannot give talks or do other things that are reserved for men.

I remember - when I was younger, I worked on the weekends, and so had most of the weekdays free to do whatever. I took daytime college classes, and also went out in field service on one or two of the weekday mornings. I was putting in hours... maybe not pioneer hours, but nearly so - but didn't want to commit to the 'pioneer' requirements, and so just free-lanced it - going out whenever I could. (That was waaaay back when - I believe the hours required were somewhere near 90 or 100... or maybe just half of that - but certainly more than the 30.)

Regards,

Jim TX

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

Thats still a lot of time to waste in return for getting a round of applause when your name is read at the Service meeting.

Sad that this is all some folks have in their lives.

• LoisLane looking for Superman
    LoisLane looking for Superman

It makes little people feel special.

• steve2
    steve2

For decades, the organization has proudly promoted the concept of Impression Management. It's about "Appearances" with scant regard for motvational factors.

Get your hours in.

Start knocking early, walk slowly,

saunter -

but above all else, act as if you're being observed by others. Impressions count.

The dumbing down of Watchtower content - not that it was ever written at an advanced level - shows where the organization's focus is: Creating and maintaining proud impressions. Catholics have their ostentatious processions - but at least they are upfront about it. Meanwhile, a few blocks away are the self-regarded "humble" JWs, taking on the privileged role of Pioneers, publically flaunting their presence and - this requires crafty skill - slacking off early to grab that coffee break and half-heartedly contacting people. But the main thing is, you're a Pioneer, elevated in the ranks of lowly humble publishers, flaunting your spirituality for all it is worth.

Meanwhile, I could be forgiven for wondering: All this spiritual ostentation is for what? Oh, almost forgot. Something about the end coming soon.

• respectful_observer
    respectful_observer

I suspect a lot of it comes from the natural desire for humans to be recognized as "successful" by their communities. Society normally does this by easily-observable "markers" of success (in the community, educational achievement, military rank, corporate rank, etc.)

- Being elected by their community to represent their interests (not allowed by JWs)

- an advanced degree, thereby demonstrating their intellectual success (not tolerated by JWs)

- rising through the military ranks (not allowed by JWs)

- rising through the corporate ranks (lowers your "success" within JW community)

- providing well for your family-- nice home, nice cars, nice clothes, etc. (discouraged by JWs)

Almost every normal "marker" of success in society at large is either discouraged or forbidden by JW doctrine. I suspect it causes a lot of JWs to focus too much on the spiritual success markers-- namely titles. I've notices that some brothers/sisters who struggle to succeed in everyday life ways are often the most intent on achieving JW titles...and not letting those around them forget they have them.

• THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR

When I became a Pioneer the yearly hour requirement was 1,200 hours to be spent in door-to-door activity, an average of 100 hours per month. This was in addition to attending meetings and a personal study programme of Society literature. No allowance was made for holidays. Unless the Pioneer is supported by their parents or a husband, they must work part time to support themselves.

A vacation pioneer, now known as temporary pioneer, is one who agrees to spend a proportionate amount time in this activity for just one month at a time during their holidays. Regular Pioneers are now only required to put in 70 hours of field ministry and vacation Pioneers, now known as Auxiliary Pioneers, just 50 hours. These alterations, coupled with reduced meetings, certainly make life as a Jehovah's Witness less demanding.

Pioneering is all about showing off and letting the congregation know how much you are doing, or claiming to be doing. There is nothing to stop a publisher doing Pioneer hours but how would that raise their status?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit