MIT Survey on science, religion and origins

by Pterist 57 Replies latest social current

• cofty
    cofty
    We are talking about faith in Christ and God...

No we're not, read the OP and try again.

• tec
    tec

If you have proof god exists you would not need faith that he exists. Cofty

The op and its discussion seems to have progressed to faith in God.... these are your words on this page. So I seem to be in context, at least according to the progression of the conversation.

Peace,

tammy

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    Something either exists or it doesn't. Believers in the supernatural use faith to plug the gap that is left by the lack of evidence.
    Faith is the opposite of evidence in this context.

IN that context, yes I agree.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

The Crusades were about cleansing the holy lands of infidels.

Yes.

ANd about stopping the expansion of Islam into Europe.

ANd about protecting pilgrims to the holy City ( especially rich ones of course).

And a way for the rulers to unite the common man under thier banner.

And the Roman-Byzantine rivalry.

• cantleave
    cantleave

Psac - I was refuting the assertion that the crusades..

were primarily motivated by political / economical interests
  • PSacramento
    PSacramento

Ah, I understand.

Fact is that the PRIMARY reason was Islamic expansion, which of course was motivated by religous-political reasons by Islam.

The crusades were a direct response to the Expansion of Islam AND the constant attacks on pilgrims and Christian churchs and institutions.

Sure there were ecominic reasons on BOTH sides, how can there ever not be?

Religion was the rallying call of course BUT it was the Islamic expansion into Europe that caused it.

Of course after that, the Crusades took on a "life of their" own as these "holy wars" tend to do.

• cantleave
    cantleave

Thanks PSac!

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

We can't deny that Religious followers ( of almost every type) have cause a lot of crap since the dawn of civilization.

We can't deny that so have the non-religious BUT the fact is that, considering what religion is suppose to do, we should expect at least an atteempt to be better.

That said, it's hard to fault the CHristian crusade's ORGINAL motive of pushing back the Islamic expansion.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit