New Light needs batteries

by Roberta804 18 Replies latest watchtower bible

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Mistakes are one thing--however, when they are consistent, I will abandon a product or company. Everyone makes mistakes, and by jumping ship on a company for one mistake could result in even worse problems. Mis-shipments, defective products, and random bad luck happen to everyone sometimes.

Case in point: Christmas lights. It's one thing to have the occasional problem. But, when every single string I buy develops half- or whole strands going dead (while the next string plugged into the bad string works fine, ruling out a bad fuse or a wire giving way), I will not tolerate that problem for long (Everstar Merchandise lights, are you listening? You are the worst offender here!) Another case: LED lights. It is acceptable to me for them to occasionally be out of stock on hot items. But, when they are consistently out of stock for more than 6 months, then they decide to discontinue a product, something is wrong. As for Walmart, it's one thing to have the occasional defective item or to make a mistake. But when more than 90% of the merchandise is crap, or the layout of the place resembles a dump more than a store with the occasional mistake in cleaning or is designed to require employees to help you find the simplest of items, I refuse to tolerate it any more.

And yes, the washtowel is more than just "occasional mistakes". You are not just looking at the occasional typo, or someone placing a bad article in a rag and then correcting it the next week with an update in a nearby rag. They are doing this on purpose. Beyond that, the basic product is horrible beyond merely defective. By design, the product creates negative value. You waste all your time in dead works, while they bash people for doing "dead works". These dead works are designed to prevent even the mildest spiritual benefits. Added are hang-ups to isolate one from even mild spiritual benefits (such as the uplifting sight of a well-lit Christmas tree or a house with well decorated trees and roof lines in the yard). Sex is tightly regulated. They claim to hate various things, yet they are as bad or even worse (bashing the Jewish Pharisees, yet many of the hounders act even more Jewish and more Pharisaic than those they bash). They bash the cat lick church for protecting pedophiles, yet the washtowel is worse. They make rules that are intended to lead to stagnation for life, and by design (not defect) lead to eternal damnation in the form of endlessly returning as jokehovian witlesses with no escape prospects.

I think their "new light" is designed to be horrible. Like the Eveready lights designed to go bad after a few hours of use or a month or so in storage, these new lights are not worth it. No wonder they are afraid of people getting the Fenix, O-Light, Nitecore, Sunwayman, or Surefire lines of lights. Nothing like a Fenix HP20 headlight to reveal that their "new light" is worthless--it might as well be pitch dark.

• smiddy
    smiddy

Speaking from a personal point of veiw , I am the only one out of my whole family of 9 members who were active jehovahs witnesses that are on this or any other ex-jw site ,and that includes sons ,wife ,daughter in law,sister in law and her two kids, and a nephew. All have left the borg and not looked back, and see no need to become a part of any ex jw site. I dont think we are the exception to the rule , I think it may very well demonstrate the extent of those leaving the organization.Their is only one extra person of this family who is still an active JW. So that is one in ten for JW`s and nine against .

smiddy

• 88JM
    88JM

I did hear that line about higher education at the School for Elders and Servants back in 2010. I've not heard it repeated or put in as strong terms since then. I think if you asked any elder outright what the proceedure is, they would say something like: "We would have to review his qualifications seriously" which is basically code for "we would remove him as an Elder/MS if his baptised kids went to university". I suspect you won't ever see that written down though, even in a BOE letter.

• SophieG
    SophieG

Exactly what is the reasoning behind disqualifiing a person to be an elder if his child goes to university? Are they looking to keep that child focused on "spiritual things" thus grooming future MS/elders/pioneers?

Then personally if I wanted my child to have the benefit of higher education, I'd skip the whole elder business.

The R&F better get hip to the fact that they CAN and should go to college. I am going to make sure my JW sibling knows about this.

• Gayle
    Gayle

The "squeaky wheel" doesn't apply in the WTS. As Knorr would firmly say at Bethel there, "no one is indispensable."

It makes me wonder, 'why' have donations seem to have gone down w/i the WT? Yes, the financial environment is tight but possibly there is more to it,, are they "silent complainers",, this is the only way to "hurt" the WT. Maybe some feel things are economically tighter for them and feel 'subconciously' less giving?

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

My brother is an Elder. He is a " when the GB say jump, you say how high? While still in the air " type of guy.. He told me that you WILL NOT have privileges if you send your child to college. I asked, " What if your kid wants to be a lawyer for the WTBTS?" As a vein bulged from his head, he stated, " THE WTBTS DOES NOT NEED ANY MORE LAWYERS!! " So, there you have it.

I don't know about College. I do not want my kid stuck with student loans out the yin-yang. I am encouraging my child to further their education. I have some time before high school is done to think about it. The current stand is that you will not be used if your kid goes to college with your blessing.

• Roberta804
    Roberta804

Thanks DataDog, I guess that clears that up. IF you are a R&F it is a matter of choice, but for elders any college education is forbidden. Sick, totally sick. No wonder we have a boat load of ex-elders on this board and even active, current ones who are recently waking up. So I wonder what they are going to do when Obama's mandatory 14 years of education mandate goes into effect by 2015? Any of you here on this board who have 1 year of college know a lot of learning goes on in that first year. Into to psy, or into to socialology or the like can change your entire world view.

• respectful_observer
    respectful_observer

Roberta804, as a caveat, college isn't explicitly forbidden for those with "privileges". The policy leaves just enough wiggle room to allow congregations to interpret it on a case-by-case basis. There's a branch letter out there somewhere I think, but the gist of it is:

- Are they encouraging others to pursue the same course?

- What is their motive-- money and prestige, or gaining a specific skill?

- Has it/will it impact their theocratic activity (service time/meeting attendance)?

If they trigger any of the above, it's likely you lose your privileges. That being said, I do know several elders/MS/Pioneers whose children (or they themselves are currently in 4-year or master's programs of some type. All depends on your congregation, your CO, and who you know.

• Roberta804
    Roberta804

Respectful Observer,

Are they encouraging others to pursue the same course?

There is a lot of problems with this kind of thinking..... When someone pursues high education is it ususally because they have a passion for the subject or skill. So if a JW decides to pursue his/her passion it is a source of great joy, yet they cannot share their passion with anyone without being marked.

What is their motive-- money and prestige, or gaining a specific skill?

What flippin business is it of anyones' what motivates someone? So what is the problem of a higher education to feel good about one's self or to make more money?

Has it/will it impact their theocratic activity (service time/meeting attendance)?

And what if it does impact service time/meeting attendance? If I had a mid-term, final, or any other assignment due, it does not take much thought which is more important.

The point I am making is that these very issues are what discribes a cult. A cult controls its members ability to function in society or to make choices based in reality.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit