Questions about Satanism and the Occult

by Ashraven 13 Replies latest jw friends

• Ashraven
    Ashraven

I was just wondering what thoughts some of you may have on the topic of Satanism and/or the Occult. I doubt that I am alone in my curiosity, being that we were told that the "practice of spiritism is detestable to Jehovah" and all that, but now are free to explore as we wish...

I've actually embraced certain views after a few years of self-discovery, and now have ZERO fear in acknowledging the fact that I do find the subject interesting enough to practice.

I may or may not get "slammed" for having certain opinions. Just wondered if others have gone in an entirely opposite direction since leaving "the truth"... (I always hated it being called that...)

A-

An apology for the devil - it must be remembered that we have only heard one side of the case.
    God has written all the books...
    ~Samuel Butler~

• Quotes
    Quotes

An interesting question.

IMO, Satanism/Occultism is simply the flip side of Judeo/Christian/Islam religions.

Both sides of that coin are based on fantasy and faith rather that facts and evidence.

If you are looking for and have found a diversion which satisfies a need for comfort or social belonging, and does not have dangerous personal and social overtones, then go for it. Personally, I get my comfort needs filled in my Hot-tub, which I find more effective and less demanding than any religion (Occult or otherwise).

P.S. Please update your profile to and a couple of carriage returns in you signature, in order to prevent the excessively wide post and scrolling. Tx.

===========================
    For interesting Watchtower Society literature quotes, complete with references but without any editorial, check out:
    http://Quotes.JehovahsWitnesses.com

• Ashraven
    Ashraven

Interesting thought(s) you have on this, although most who practice any form of Satanism will know that the practice itself is one for self-fulfillment. Period. Nothing demanding involved, since there is no need for "worship" or prayer. Satanists are themselves "gods" and seek only to pleasure themselves, always...this is the difference between modern-day devil worshipers and Satanists.
    A-
    PS - Thanks for the tip. Still not sure how posting here works.

• refiners fire
    refiners fire

I think that many of those "Satan worshippers' are in reaction to Christianity.
    They see things in polarization, and rejecting the God of Love and Light, they turn to the God of Darkness. As they understand it.
    I dont myself recognize Lucifer as an evil being, it is possible he is more like one who resisted the order established by the Biblical God.
    After all, his major crime in the Garden of Eden was an attempt to bring Knowledge and awareness to the human couple.
    A bad thing?? You might say that Christianity has "blackened" Lucifer
    with a barrage of hate propaganda.The black image might not refect the actual reality.
    Just a possibility that I have considered.

• Marilyn
    Marilyn

If you don't like calling it the Truth then try the Troof. I didn't think of it but saw it here and think it's appropriate! :-) Also I asked a similar question about demonism a few months ago. It usually sparks are few excellent replies. I will be interested to read any new thoughts from my posting on the subject.

Marilyn

• gotcha
    gotcha

hey ash..could i ask u something stupid? i'm just really curious if it's true that music stuff like from eagles/other bands really have some 'devil-worshipping' content underlying in their lyrics...oh well

• Xander
    Xander

Satanists are themselves "gods" and seek only to pleasure themselves, always

Ahhh, see, you are confusing satanism with hedonism.

he·don·ism Pronunciation Key (hdn-zm) n.
    1. Pursuit of or devotion to pleasure, especially to the pleasures of the senses.
    2. Philosophy. The ethical doctrine holding that only what is pleasant or has pleasant consequences is intrinsically good.

Sa·tan·ism Pronunciation Key (stn-zm)
    n.
    1. The worship of Satan characterized by a travesty of the Christian rites.
    2. satanism Profound wickedness.
    3. the worship of devils (especially Satan)

A fanatic is one who, upon losing sight of his goals, redoubles his efforts.
    --George Santayana
  • TheEye
    TheEye

Have you ever read Crowley's work?

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

I find no more evidence of the existence of the devil than for the existance of god.

Therefore is all seems rather silly. If I had a subjective experience, I might change my mind. But until then...

• gotcha
    gotcha

from where i'm coming from, i don't find it hard to believe in the occult or whatever u call it coz lots of stuff are shown on tv about people getting possessed and all other weird stuff u can never imagine....scary actually especially the feeling that it's quite possible..sometimes u might think that it's all hoax but i dunno...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit