Non JW involved with a JW

by LostInTranslation 40 Replies latest social relationships

• Retrovirus
    Retrovirus

Welcome from another non-jw, LIT!

May i suggest you read jgnat's posts, especially her story, here? She is a non, married to a jw, and he also wasn't forthcoming about his involvement. You will also get a perspective on the cult and normal personalities that might help.

It must have been very hurtful to find that an old friend, more than friend, who reconnected so well with you, was so secretive about a most important part of his life.

JWs target people with problems as low self esteem lets them impose their way of life. They also do not respect personal boundaries, nor are they necessarily honest with those outside what they call the "truth".

it's good that you are researching the jws. Please do nothing in a hurry.

All the best, Retro

• wannabefree
  • Think About It
    Think About It

LIT.....we are adults here, and everything is completely anonymous. So tell us......did this JW boyfriend and you have anykind of sexual relationship since getting back together? He can be ex-communicated by the JW religion for any sexual relations with you, since the two of you are not married. If you have, he could be feeling extreme guilt, which could explan his acting hot & cold to you. Otherwise, it doesn't make sense for a "mature" man to treat you this way.

P.S. Not prying, but this could answer many things.

• ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent

Hi LostInTranslation, The reason he is confused is because he has an authentic persona and a cult persona. He may not be toying with you but, unless he gets help from a cult exit councelor, you are better off without him.

I also fell in love with the authentic persona of a "Spiritually Strong" JW and could not understand her qwerks until I read Steve Hassan's book "Combatting Cult Mind Control". I went through the same hot/cold contact with my former friend. The following is a video of Steve Hassan which might help you understand what you are dealing with:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=sw-oF-Z_I7U

The best advise to give you is run as fast as possible away from your friend.

If you don't like that advise then prepare yourself for him leaving you, unless you can awaken him. The WTBTS indoctrinates JWs to believe that non-JW's are bad associations. IMHO Behavorial, Informational, Thought, and Emotional (BITE) control techniques are a lot more powerful than I first imagined and can leave an indeliable mark on an JW's and exJW's personality. Read Steve Hassan's books ("Combatting Cult Mind Control", "Releasing the Bonds: Empowering People to Think for Themselves", and (his latest book) "Freedom of Mind: Helping Loved Ones Leave Controlling People, Cults and Beliefs"), visit his website, contact him though his website, and/or watch videos about his methods to learn what you are up against.

Peace be with you and everyone, who you love,

Robert

• LostInTranslation
    LostInTranslation

I thank you all so much already for your input.

I suppose what I need to do is accept that this Man I have come to have such deep feelings for once again in my life, is actually NOT the same man I once loved

as he has been altered and controlled by the WTS.

During this "second chance" relationship with him, I have to say I have seen clear evidence of both the "old him": happy, fun, relaxed and loving toward me, and the "new him" : much colder, more calculated in his words and 'proper', for lack of better terminology. It is like a switch flips and he goes from "old him" to "new him" very rapidly. But almost always after we have had some form of physical contact, even sometimes of the most benign kind. (it doesnt have to be full out sex to make him "flip" on me)

Robert,

Thank you for this information, I will read and research the freedom of mind website. Sadly, I fear he will not let me close enough to be of much assistance. I think he is already shutting down on me because I represent his biggest fear... temptation. His involvement with and feelings for ME may actually force him to have a real look at Himself and his life choices in a way he is not prepared to do.

I think he may latently fear that his sobriety is wrapped up in the JW's (it was very soon after becoming sober that he joined).

I also fear that he is just a person who NEEDS to have some form of governing body, someone to 'guide' him, tell him how to raise his children (he has custody, their mother is non JW - not the current wife he is divorcing) how to think, when to breathe .

Even when we were younger and in love (before his JW involvement) he was prone to extreme "all or nothing" choices. (pyramid schemes, get rich quick ideas... that would be paramount in his life for a few months or, then never to be mentioned again..)

Maybe it shouldnt have really been such a surprise for me to find out about his deep committment to WTS.

I guess I just felt, if I LOVE him enough, and he feels the same, he will leave, he will see that it's wrong, he will be freed.

I am beginning to realize here, that it's not that simple. Love has nothing to do with it... Fear is the key. Such a waste of a human. It's very saddening to me. I would have loved him earnestly and honestly if he would let me in.

Somehow, I doubt that will happen.

• Think About It
    Think About It

Good luck no matter what you decide. Some other things to note are, the fact that he is getting a divorce. JW's don't easily divorce, so there is probably more to the story than he has told you, since he never even told you he was a JW to begin with. Another thing is that even though he gets the "legal" divorce......in order to remain a good JW he has to be "free to marry", and then legally married before having ANY sexual activity with a woman. Not only that, but he is expected to only marry a baptized JW woman. From what you describe, although normal relationship activity between consenting adults.....in JW world he would be in big time trouble, even though he is a grown man. Yes......you would be wise to run.

If you are still curious in sticking around here, I'm curious to know what your reaction was in finding out he was not a JW.

• LostInTranslation
    LostInTranslation

Thank you Think About It,

I inted to stick around. I am finding all of the insight and information really helpful, at the very least in understanding his behaviour and the 'whys'.

The hot/cold, switch flipping behaviour is very difficult for someone who doesnt fully get the JW mentality, and I admit I took it very personally.

The rejection/love cycle was doing my head in!

I have been reading/listening to Steve Hassan and it is very enlightening, I am starting to get that this "isn't about me".

Hearing others here speak of the Cult persona vs the True Persona, and reading what Mr. Hassan has to say on that resonates very loudly for me, it is exactly how things are with he and I.

To answer your question about how I felt when I found out he was a JW:

At first I was suprised. I did a little research into the organisation and began to understand a little more of the control they exhert over their members. Some things about his behaviour started to make more sense to me, but he Kept coming around me, kept making a point to be part of my life, and because of that I suppose I totally underestimated how strong this control over him was. I really didn't get the complexity of the situation.

He has continuously told me how "complicated" his life is, but always inferred it was due to his divorce. It wasn't until he started saying he felt like he was living a double life that I really started to clue in that there had to be more (and yes, he has been hiding me from everyone in his circle... including his family who are NOT JW and whom i already know from our previous time together).

But even with all of this, I was not deterred. I really care for this man, not just in a romantic sense but as a person, and a friend.

I now see though that this may be an impossible situation. I don't know how I will proceed at this point. I know I need to have a conversation with him, hopefully he can be honest, REALLY honest.

I guess that part is really up to him. The rest will be my decision.

• LostInTranslation
    LostInTranslation

I do have one more question to pose here and hopefully will be able to get help from all of you amazing people.

After reading so much here and also reading some of the things Mr. Hassan has to say, I would appreciate any ideas or tips on how to broach this subject with him

and the most effective ways to interact and speak with him.

Obviously without judgement and always in Love but any input from all of you with your sage experience in JW matters would be greatly appreciated.

He is already running scared and I don't want to push him even further away at this point.

Thank you all once again for all of your kindness and help.

It is so very muchly appreciated

~~Lost~~

• ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent

Hi LostInTranslation, My best advice would be for you to move on with your life and do not bother contacting him. From your description of him he sounds like a project man (i.e., a man that a woman wants to fix and is a type of co-dependent behavior). Go out, meet new friends, enjoy your life, and do some introspection. If your friend contacts you in the future, decide then what you will do.

Peace be with you and everyone, who you love,

Robert

• zed is dead
    zed is dead

Lost,

I knew of a woman in a situation much like yours. A JW man wanted a divorce, so he got involved with this non JW woman. (You see, a JW can only get divorced if there is adultery) He used it to get a divorce, and was disfellowshipped. They ended up getting married. Immediately, he worked on getting back into the religion, and put immense pressure on her to join also.

You may be being used by him to get a divorce. Be very careful!

zed

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit