Why are Ex-JW's not more effective in slaying the Watchtower monster?

by Terry 38 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Terry
    Terry

What the Watchtower Society has is focus. What Ex-JW's lack is that very thing...in spades.

Divide and conquer, eh? Ex-JW's are divided and easily conquered.

We know what we aren't. But, identity cannot come from a negative. We aren't the UNcola.
    We must BE something defined by purpose or we are nothing.

The worst thing that happens to an Ex-JW is they become like those Elvis impersonators. We reverse Witness...in drag. But, our sideburns are ridiculous and our voice is grating to the ear.

WHO ARE WE? We are we yelling at? Who cares?

I think of that plane crash in the Andes all those years ago with the survivors eating each other to stay alive. That sort of thing.

We have to be careful what we chew. Are we waiting on some kind of rescue? Are we warning about the dangers of flying? Please pass the salt...

So, without a boiler plate Mission Statement one wonders (as the English say) what it is all in aid of.

Here is my stream of consciousness speech.

When you marry a religion and throw everything you have into it there is a bond and a trust which cannot be broken as long as both are faithful.
    One never expects God to waver, so, the burden is on the struggle of the believer to walk the tightrope in a stiff wind.
    One "earns" a feeling of belonging over time even though the formula is "unmerited favor".

Then, the game changes. It isn't God you are married to. You are working for Bernie Madoff and you've lost your life savings.

Huh? Wuh? Run that by me again??
    Black is White, Day is Night and I'm just a Putzz who wasted almost twenty years in a cult??

How do we become EX-JW's?

So many Ex's deserved to be disfellowshipped.

They screwed somebody or smoked pot in the bathroom or didn't give a flying fudgebar and they were cut loose.

They get pissed off, but, they weren't badly treated.
    Others have mental and emotional problems. Some severe. While others trip and fall without thinking or drift into trouble because the religion itself is so demanding while being so empty.

Then, there are the rest.

You serve faithfully, nobly with great talent or fortitude and come up with the short straw. Why?

Intelligence kicks in and you peek behind the curtain. You ask the wrong question of the wrong person and BOOM! Game over.

Bomb goes off.
    Pieces of your life....everywhere......

Then, you start literally pulling yourself together.
    What next?
    What do I do with all this?

Fellow Apostate, you already know all this.

Only a few former Jehovah's Witnesses have what it takes to make a difference.

The question becomes: what difference do you want to make...and to whom?

Identifying the problems (in no particular order) this way.

1.What the Watchtower Society offers is immediate and larger than life itself. What it pays is deferred until there is a deficit so large your life falls into the chasm. Catching people on the way down (before impact) is the ideal intervention moment.

2.Belief in all the finest ideas (God, faith, life, love, etc.) is fuel for the delusion of service in this religion. The genius of Watchtower power is turning that goodness into an iron core of LOYALTY to the Governing Body at the expense of sanity, normality and family. Driving a wedge into the Loyalty breaks the spell, but, it is practically impossible to do. Why? They have beaten us to the punch by painting us black. The messenger is confused with the message.

3.Religious arguments go nowhere. You know why I think this is so. There is no "there" there to be proved.
    Consequently, any argument against the theology of the Watchtower is sidetracked before it is begun. Like Seinfeld, it is a show "about nothing."
    Changing that argument into culpability, responsibility, good-faith stewardship and honest brokerage is the better road.

4.A million damning documents are worthless unless they are read by eyes willing to see them. The presentation of damning facts is alot like eating a giant pizza. It won't fit in your mouth. You need it sliced and served a bite at a time. You can't give anchovies to people who hate them and pepperoni will disgust vegetarians. In other words, using documents to advantage comes from super-organizing them into "sound byte" simplicty for access and cross-referencing.

5.All the words, arguments, passion and proof amount to little more than effort unless the end result is EFFECTIVE. There has to be an effective impact right on target with exactly the right follow up. Who or what should be targeted? How do you follow up? It comes down to presentation and a IDEAS. Good ideas drive out bad ideas.

Having said all that....

I think the most effective presentations are those that target an end result in advance rather than the buffet approach (like a salad bar).
    Otherwise, the casual grazing animal wanders in and snifffs out what they want to find disagreeable and then heads back to the barn.

The key weaknesses must be identified and targeted. It must be pithy. It must be impactful. It must be largely the actual words of the Watchtower Publications (or court document snippets) scans, quotations (audio or video) and slick design of an easily navigable nature.

I repeat:

Only a few former Jehovah's Witnesses have what it takes to make a difference.

The question becomes: what difference do you want to make...and to whom?
  • Sulla
    Sulla

Here's what you miss, Terry, and it changes everything: JWs are shit.

They aren't captured by a cult, helpless victims of some heartless corporate religion. They have chosen this most wicked of religions because they are, themselves, wicked.

Fuck 'em.

• ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent

Hi Terry, I have been wondering the same thing! Silence is Consent! And, too many exJWs (not all!) are only vocal on exJW forums.

If exJWs love JWs, why don't they help JWs? Contrary to what Sulla wrote. There are a lot of good people who have a Shun Gun pointed at their minds and feel helpless. I feel that JWs have a lot more power than they believe. JWs just need to be shown how to use their power.

Peace be with you and everyone, who you love,

Robert

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

Organization, by definition, gives them an immediate and huge advantage.

When we leave, we find out who we are.

Some find another God, it seems that most give up on the idea that there is a master puppeteer up their in the heavens.

As long as they stay organized, with autocratic control from the top down, they will have an immediated 50 yard advantage in a 100 yard dash.

We aren't organized, and never will be. And I wouldn't want it any other way.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Anyone who thinks they are going to take down a Multi-Billion Dollar Organization..

Without the same Financial Backing or Man Power..

Is Out of Their Mind..

............................................................................

That`s Pithy..

............................ mutley-ani1.gif...OUTLAW

• villagegirl
    villagegirl

Some people seek to be controlled. To be 'taken care of'.

Some people stay in bad marriages, where there is no honest communication.

Or only a series of daily rituals. This is a substitute for meaning, all about the appearances

and approval of others. The perfect little family, the obedient wife, the man as breadwinner.

Its about feeling safe. Feeling righteous is a big draw. We have the Truth. We have the Faithful and Discreet Slave,

"we have stuff you don't have", is the message. Janitors get to buy suits to wear, and be "elders" and go to secret meetings,

and reprove people, or threaten them. No education is required. Just be male.

Old men can choose very young uneducated wives, just like Mormons.

You get to feel superior to those who are not following rules or weak in attendence

or not coming dressed up enough to meetings.

Then there is the ongoing "mystery" of the mysterious eight men who are the 'sole channel of communication to God'

No need to put in effort there either. Why try to establish some personal relationship with Jeus ?

He is practically an outsider. Barely refered to. Wasn't he just some angel ? One of many ?

Never mind it says Jesus is the only name by which men are saved,

and that there are dozens of Hebrew names for God himself.

We are "special" so well dressed. Look at our clothes, our shoes, our hairdos.

And we are so pleasant. Never mind that there are injustices all around,

we ignored Apartheid, the early WT never mentioned the injustices of slavery,

or starving millions worldwide except to say "see we told you so" Poverty ?

No problem, go on welfare, get subsidized housing, food stamps,

complain its not due to the fact we never aquired any skills,

or actual professions, its all the other people's fault, we are just victims.

And if you have a nepotistic, group of brothers, business, and are rich, you can look down on the poor.

You will be elevated in the congregation for just being rich.

• never a jw
    never a jw

WT is here to stay. It actually is a good choice for those who like to be told how to live their lives, for the weak and the hopeless. There will alway be people like that. However, the peak of the WT was in the recent past, the present, or the very near future. The Internet has and will continue to weaken this pack of liars until all they have left as members is the most gullible of society.

• Eustace
    Eustace

Some find another God

Some keep believing in the same God they did before. I certainly think Ray Franz did.

He just came to realize he didn't have to believe in that God the same way the other members of the Governing Body did.

I fall into this camp as well. I just think the "Jesus sufer dude" that the more liberal denominations promote pales beside the pulsing driving voice of God found in the Old Testament, or how Jesus is really depicted in the New Testament. There's more of the divine to be found there, and more aesthetic satisfaction too.

And while I'd take the followers of the wussy modern idea of Jesus as company over the JWs with their dismissal of family encapsulated in the practice of shunning, I still find the God of the Old Testament and the Jesus of the New Testament to be a real source of comfort in my life.

• Eustace
    Eustace

Divide and conquer, eh? Ex-JW's are divided and easily conquered.

Whatever are you going on about?

How exactly have ex-JWs been divided and conquered?

A higher level of conflict between ex-JWs is the price of free thought, but I don't think the division has reached the point where there's much great vulnerablity to being conquered. When I first visited this site I was impressed at how people for the most part cooperate toward common ends without needing an all powerful Governing Body to constantly be casting out the heretics.

The worst thing that happens to an Ex-JW is they become like those Elvis impersonators. We reverse Witness...in drag. But, our sideburns are ridiculous and our voice is grating to the ear.

It varies. Many JWs are grating in their witnessing too. I think per capita the average ex-JW who bothers to reverse witness has ten times the effect of the average active JW.

Catching people on the way down (before impact) is the ideal intervention moment.

Actually I think the ideal intervention moment is before someone gets baptized in the first place.

Let's be realistic, since September of 2011 the GB has gone down a path where their strategy is to scare the hell out of baptized JWs thinking about leaving with the threat of extreme and emotionally abusive shunning, even by family.

Always attack the enemy at the weakest point of his strategy.

The weakest point of the GB's current strategy is that it's making it easier to scare a non-baptized one into not getting baptized, or maybe even involved at all, in the first place.

Concentrate on attacking the weakest point!

• sooner7nc
    sooner7nc

Terry

I do what I can the only way I can. I chop away at this thing constantly. Chop Chop Chop. I tell everyone I can about them and I'm damn good at it.

I may not bring down that shit all by myself but believe me when I say that the there are many people west of Fort Worth that won't listen to those f****** when they come to the door.

Just a drop in the bucket I know but sometimes all you can do is hope that the momentum of your integrity helps to move the world.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit