Your day(s) off: rest and relaxation or catching up?

by compound complex 14 Replies latest jw friends

• compound complex
    compound complex

Some of my friends are weekend warriors, so to speak. Days off are not always the weekend.

Do you get to chill out?

CoCo is semi-retired but always tired

• compound complex
    compound complex

Excuse me . . . seems I bombed once again!

CoCo

• Hopscotch
    Hopscotch

Dear semi-retired but always tired Coco,

I am writing in response to your query about my days off. My days off fall on the weekends but let me tell you that Saturday and Sunday in the Hopscotch household are rarely days of rest and relaxation.

There's all the washing to catch up on, the yard work to attend to, the usual never ending household chores such as vacuuming and washing the floors to be done, not to mention the spring cleaning that has been taking place for much longer than just spring!

However in spite of there always being so much catching up to do on the weekends, we try to make sure that there is a little bit of time (usually on Sunday afternoon) to chill out. Sometimes this involves just getting on the couch and watching a movie, othertimes it could be a little swim in the pool and on other occasions we have been known to just sit and sip on a cocktail and watch the birds.

I really do wish the weekday/weekend thing was reversed. Two days at work (for the same weekly money of course!) and five days of rest and relaxation. Now wouldn't that be the life.

Best wishes

Hopscotch

• eva luna
    eva luna

Hey there CoCo,

Maybe everyone's working now. Tomorow bump it, as most will be on their day off.

For me, when I have a day to myself . I like to cook something special. Usually involving pasta. Something sumputiously fattening. Blast the music and sip on a good Cab. Some for me and some for the sause. I like having my kids over for dinner as they think I can cook no wrong. I send all leftovers home with them. LOL

Or watch some classic movies with my cat sleeping on my feet, while makeing jewelry or painting simple sumi-e cards to send to family. My Aunt is turning 80 soon. Tomororw out with the paints.

Come summer I like working in the garden.

Not to exciting , but relaxing.

What do you like to do?

Eva

• compound complex
    compound complex

Thanks, Hopscotch (long time no chat!!!) and Eva.

I vacationed on the Gold Coast many years ago and it was the most relaxing time ever -- just the locale itself was conducive to that, despite our doing lots of sightseeing. Oh yeah, the house where we stayed seemed to require upkeep, Hopscotch! Thanks for sharing.

Pasta for me, too, Eva! Going to a house sitting job on the lake in a few minutes. Kitchen has a six-burner Thermador gas range. Can't wait to get to cookin'! Hope to get back to this thread soon to bump it -- or maybe you'd do the honors?!?!?!?

Love,

CoCo de la Cucina Moderna

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

Thats a tough one. being self employed i am never really 'off'. if orders demand production, i must work. I do the lot from the website to orders to set up, production, packing, despatch, the books, the taxes, everything, a one man show.

And i thought my new occupation was going to allow me to be semi retired (work 24 to 30 hr per week) too.

I pretend that i take time off to do other things but it happens less often then i desire. I try to get a day a week to build my hotrod but alas, work comes before play. So here it is a saturday, and after a crappy week of poor production due to an injury that i had to soldier through with, i find the day off to play went bye bye and so has my weekend. Today was spent getting work ready for monday, sunday will be spent finishing off last weeks orders and then it'll be back into a full week again. Say hello 14 day working week.

I'm pretty hard on myself about not wasting time. sure i can shut the door anytime i want and go watch a movie, but i dont. I can have long coffee breaks but i just bring it to the workshop and fill it with sawdust...

When I do get to relax its back in the shed anyway to fabricate, weld, grind and bang away on the project vehicle. It was harder when my whole week was spent doing vehicle restoration to then go 'oh goody a day off...think i will go work on a car for fun now'... At least now that is different!

I dont do 'relax' anymore i am afraid. I have become incapable of rest other than when i sleep. And that ok if you have bucket loads of energy to burn, but i dont. most of the time i am pooped before 10am.

Went camping with my family and dad for 10 days and just was miserable for the first 4 because i just couldnt get into this whole 'relax' and 'do nothing' mode! Seems like a big waste of time...you know, there are things i have to do, not want, but have to do. And there i am supposed to sit for hours and try and catch a fish?

I cant stop, its a curse. here it is after 6pm, i'm the office inbetween tasks and well, i just keep looking for things to do next because sitting inside infront of a TV set is dumb...

sorry for my rant CoCo! I sound like I am miserable! I'm not...i just dont do this relax thingy very well anymore.

I wish i could chill, maybe if my competion buys me out for a million bucks. Nah, i'll just go do something else! LOL

sometimes working for someone else and punching the clock has a lot of advantages...

Oz

• eva luna
    eva luna

A little bump.

Well , I'm off to my son's place for dinner and fun. Hopefully not to much fun...

I made a nice frittata. Everyone is so gluten worried,( whats up with that) so no pasta. Have some frisee, made a simple salad dressing of olive oil, red wine vinger, crazy salt, and minced shallot. Some blue cheese to top it off with. I'm bringing a loaf a ciabatta , casue I love bread and I made a nice tapenade of black olives , smashed anchovy and diced tomatoe for a topping.

Getting an Amarone and a Barbera on the way there. We are not white wine drinkers.

That thermador sounds nice, CoCo. I had one a will back. You pushed a button and the vent came up from the back. It was like magic. Nothing like cooking in a well thought out kitchen. Hope you have some fun.

Aussie Oz, Sorry you have a hard time relaxing. Sometimes I wish we could toss out all the communcatin methods we have, cell, computers, everything. Maybe after a few days we would learn to chill out. Take care and go pound on the metal.

Hopscotch, hope have a chill Sunday after noon.....

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

Eva Luna, do yuo want to come be my roommate and do the cooking?

I'm retired. I am finding it's rather boring. Housework doesn't often get done, because it's no fun. I get out of the house every day. So, I don't have a couple of days off -- to do all the housework and chores and shopping -- because I'm always off.

• zed is dead
    zed is dead

eva,

I am glad you are going out for a good time. The dinner sound sumptuous! Have a wonderful time with your family and good friends.

zed

• dazed but not confused
    dazed but not confused

When I was an employee, the weekends were for rest and relaxation and catching up with the kids. I almost never had to work Saturday and never Sunday.

Recently I started my own business and have been working the weekends. Mostly Saturdays but some Sundays. I will have tomorrow off then starting Monday I will have to work at least 11 days in a row with no days off. We are starting a contract that requires my full attention. I am really excited to have my new company doing well, but will miss my regular days off. Soon as we acquire more employees and supervisors, my business partner and I will be able to take our needed rest.

My focus, when I was IN, was working paycheck to paycheck. Now with a whole new lease on life and knowing THE END is NOT NEAR, my focus is on providing a better life for my wife, kids and myself. Money may not buy happiness but it sure makes life a HELL OF A LOT BETTER.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit