May 15 2013 WT: "REAL elders skip meals and lose sleep!"

by cedars 43 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cedars
    cedars

Hi everyone

Finally we have the Society's expectations of elders in print.

This is from page 9 of the May 15th Study Edition...

"As indicated by the experiences of the apostle Paul, our ministry may result in “sleepless nights” and “times without food.” (2 Cor. 6:5) These expressions paint a vivid picture of self-sacrifice and may well remind us of pioneers who give their ministry first place in life while supporting themselves financially. Consider, too, our devoted missionaries ‘who pour themselves out like a drink offering’ to serve people in foreign lands. (Phil. 2:17) What about our hardworking elders who miss meals or lose sleep to care for Jehovah’s sheep? We also have our older ones and those in poor health who do their best to attend Christian meetings and participate in the field service. Our hearts swell with appreciation when we think of all these self sacrificing servants of God. Such efforts affect how others view our ministry."

We all know that is exactly the sort of mindless loyalty and dedication that is expected of elders. How nice to see it finally acknowledged in print!

Weaker cults would dissuade their clergy from losing sleep or meals in going about their duties, but not the Watch Tower Society! No sir. If it's not hurting you, perhaps leading to starvation or sleep deprivation, you're not doing it right.

Cedars

• Gopher
    Gopher

That's a nice sentiment coming from the comfortable ivy-tower-land where the 8 members of the Faithful Slave reside and work rule.

• cedars
    cedars

Very true Gopher. I wonder when was the last time Anthony Morris III or David Splane skipped a meal?

Cedars

• toweragent
    toweragent

I see your point, but I don't know...

It was nice when my wife was rushed to the hospital in the middle of the night, the entire elder body and their wives came up with our family to check on us. It was really nice and something I was appreciative at the time. That was when I was fully "in" and really thought they were shepherds for Christ. We tried not to impose on them or keep them up there too long. But it made a dire situation seem much better somehow.

I remember one time when I was younger, an elder who I confided in told me that I can call him whenever I needed, even if it was in the middle of the night. He said if I was afraid to call him or "bug" him, then he wasn't doing his job. He also said that if there was ever a day when he's "too busy" for me or anyone in the congregation, then he doesn't qualify to be an elder anymore.

It really adjusted my perspective some.

But on the flip side of that, I've known and seen many examples of ones who constantly and relentlessly call the elders, bugging them for the most asenine and trivial matters. They treat the elders like door mats and act as if the elders should cater to their every whim in order to "shepherd" them. That I can understand. That is NOT okay. No wonder half of the elders are worn out!

• cedars
    cedars

Point well taken toweragent. However, surely looking after others in emergencies is something friends do rather than being a duty solely applicable to elders. Certainly examples like yours are the exception rather than the rule when it comes to what elders find themselves dealing with on a weekly basis. When most people think of elders skipping meals and losing sleep (myself included as a former elder) they think of dashing from work straight to the midweek meeting or a shepherding visit, or staying behind at the Kingdom Hall until midnight or beyond to attend an elder's meeting on some essentially trivial matter. The above article reinforces the fact that this is expected of elders.

Cedars

• toweragent
    toweragent

However, surely looking after others in emergencies is something friends do rather than being a duty solely applicable to elders.

Point taken, I agree.

When most people think of elders skipping meals and losing sleep (myself included as a former elder) they think of dashing from work straight to the midweek meeting or a shepherding visit, or staying behind at the Kingdom Hall until midnight or beyond to attend an elder's meeting on some essentially trivial matter.

Ahhh....I see what you're saying now...Agreed.

• GoneAwol
    GoneAwol

`Consider, too, our devoted missionaries ‘who pour themselves out like a drink offering' to serve people in foreign lands.`

-I wonder how many sneaky reminders about missionaries there`ll be, "dont forget about the poor missionaries" = "show us the money"!

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

The Elders get bugged for asenine matters because the sheeple have been trained to stop reasoning for themselves, and to have matters of conscience dictated for them. It's a systemic issue.

Very true Gopher. I wonder when was the last time Anthony Morris III or David Splane skipped a meal?

When did they actually go in service without being photo-shopped into the picture? While we are at it, why can the pioneers and Elders work to support themselves, but the CO an DO and others cannot follow Paul's example? If I am expected to work full time, and arrange my hours to auxillary pioneer for 30 hours, why can't the CO arrange to work 20 hours to defer expenses? Instead he guilt-trips the sheep who pay for his lifestyle. BTW, I have never seen an Elder or CO who missed meals or could not pay their bills...

• Gopher
    Gopher

I know of a missionary couple from Minnesota who went down to some jungle country in South America (forget which one). He was the zealous uber-Witness, she was a daughter in a family where everybody (including the children) pioneered and the dad was an elder.

After a very short while, she got extremely ill due to some sort of parasite. They had to quit, her health ruined possibly for life - and he ended up so shaken by the whole thing that the marriage ended and he left the organization.

As if the WT Society really cared much - they seem to have a ready supply of willing couples from their Gilead school who will go anywhere like that.

• Gopher
    Gopher
    When did they actually go in service without being photo-shopped into the picture?

I was visiting NYC in 1990. I was walking the streets near Brooklyn Bethel with a Bethelite friend after dinner. We came across an old man walking slowly, holding up the Watchtower and Awake magazines. My Bethelite friend was inclined to introduce me to him because he was on the Governing Body. I only remember that he was foreign-born, might have been George Gangas.

Anyway the man saw us approaching and quickly asked if we were Witnesses. We said yes, and he waved us away - he was too busy preaching.

So I won't assert that all of the Governing Body NEVER go out in streetwork or some form of public ministry. I think it isn't for very long - mostly to get a taste of what it's like. I still think they have a generally cushioned, comfortable life at headquarters.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit