Has leaving the truth( i hate that word) caused you to do things now that you would not have normally done ?

by sieborg 28 Replies latest jw friends

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

No.

I feel like I've walked a life in shoes that don't fit. You can't always change them.

• sieborg
    sieborg

it's never too late to change them... you are never too old to set anouther goal or to dream a new dream - C. S. LEWIS

• sieborg
    sieborg

my first goal is to spell correctly,

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

When I was leaving the "truth" I had discussions with someone who knew me well as to how far back in our lives we would have to go in order to have a different life.

I blame Hitler.

• Emery
    Emery

Oh wow, yes I managed to to accomplish a lot in just a year.

• I am finally reading books that I actually enjoy and have interest in reading. I've read 4 books already and will be finishing my 5th one shortly ( on web development).
    • Now that my JW friends have no time for "irregulars" I find myself being around family more and more. I have re-established old friendships from high school and old friends who are/were disfellowshipped long ago. I have found much happinesss being around relatives again who I had once pushed away because they were not JWs. Once I told my aunt and uncle that I no longer wanted to be a JW anymore they were so thrilled! Although they respected my beliefs in the past, I always knew they hated our involvment with the witnesses.
    • My wife and I actually get bored quite frequently now with all this time on our hands. We consistently keep our house very clean and organized. We schedule random vacations and activities we never had time for because of the rigorous JW schedule.
    • Since I have lost my belief in an afterlife, I now pay closer attention to current world problems. Being awake and aware of ways to help my neighbor live a better life is what I aim for. It makes life more valuable and you cherish the moments more as you won't know what tomorrow brings.
    • Compared to the prejudiced and condescending view I had of people with different faiths, views, and life styles-- I am now more open minded, loving and understanding when it comes to diversity.
    • Observing holidays happens to be a lot of fun. When I was a witness I wouldn't have imagined the day I would have said such a thing. I use to love throwing this into people's faces who claimed to be a Christian. I would open up my reasoning book and drop the pagan bomb all day during the Christmas seaso. Until I realized that JWs hypocritically observe many pagan traditions and modern day customs themselves! (anniversaries, wedding ceremonies, rings, cosmetic make-up, braiding hair, Sunday worship, etc.) Only to see WT leadership shrug these customs off to say, "Well we don't do it for those particular reasons".....Well guess what Watchtower?? Neither does the general public! I don't celebrate them either to honor a false god or worship paganism. I observe them as human tradition which just so happens to be a lot of friggin fun, ya buncha jerks.
    • Movies: I watch whatever the heck I want now without some mental guilt trip if the movie so happens to drop an eff bomb. (same goes for music)
    • Missing meetings, service, conventions, special day assemblies, kingdom hall cleanings, CO visits, KH builds, and the memorial saves me a lot of money. I spend it now on things I have always wanted but never tried to buy since I was trying to keep a "simple eye".

Thats all I could think of right now, but yes its amazing when you become mentally and spiritually free from this organization.

The question is poorly worded. There is nothing "normal" about the cult referred to by its leaders and members as "the truth." Therefore, the question should be rephrased as follows:

Did leaving the cult self-described as "the truth" change your mental state from that of a drone, to the normal cognitive state of mind experienced by those labeled as "worldly" by the Watchtower cult?

• BackRoomBilly
    BackRoomBilly

I decided to give the whole masturbaton thing a try. CHEEEEEEOW!!!

• BackRoomBilly
    BackRoomBilly

seriously though...

I stopped thinking about the end of the world and death all the time. I live my life a whole lot differently in terms of longevity. I have plans for retirement and look forward to watching my kids become adults and start families of their own. I want to spend every day holding hands and laughing with my beautiful wife. I could never enjoy these things with the dark cloud of Jehovah's wrath looming over me. I watch my son playing pee wee football and think about how I never could. I just smile and know that the same way I dont know about about a four-three defense, he doesn't know what a kingdom hall is.

• return of parakeet
    return of parakeet

Yes, I do many horrible, perverse apostate things now:

Think

Read

Discuss anything I want with anyone I want

Love my family

Revel in my freedom

Yes, dubbie lurkers, read these words and shudder. Isn't it great that the WTS protects you from such disgusting practices?

• Bella15
    Bella15

Yeah... I do charity for example... I am kind to all kinds of people ... I express my love for all human beings ... I talk to my neighbors and strangers ...I am genuinely interested in people.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit