Do you make any kinds of breads? Which ones do you like?

by Iamallcool 29 Replies latest jw friends

• still thinking
    still thinking

Thank you Nika Bee! Does it come out just as nice with spelt flour? And, don't you use rye flour to make the bread, just as a starter?

• Nika Bee
    Nika Bee

I just use rye flour for the starter. Wheat flour makes it a little lighter, and is less expensive. I only experimented a couple of times with spelt flour. I like the taste of it, but it is more delicate. It didn't rise as nicely. It would probably take a little more experimenting.

• still thinking
    still thinking

I know what you mean about spelt flour. I love it, but hard to get the mix right to make a good loaf. And it doesn't like to be messed around with too much.

I had a recipe a while ago that used spelt, rye and white flour. I messed around with it until it came out just right. And then I lost the recipe. But that was using yeast not sour dough. I think out of 3 cups flour it was something like 1/2 cup rye, 1 cup spelt and 1 1/2 cups white flour. I might try that sort of mix with your recipe. I think I had sorghum in there too but can't for the life of me remember how much.

• Nika Bee
    Nika Bee

I'd be interested to hear how it turns out with your mix and what mix you end up with.

• still thinking
    still thinking

I'm going to try your recipe this week Nika Bee...I'll start with your basic recipe and if I get that right I'll start to play... I'll let you know how I get on.

• grumblecakes
    grumblecakes

BRIOCHE FTW!!!!

• mamochan13
    mamochan13

I have a tried and true "sweet" bread recipe that I've used for years. Pretty basic. It's supposed to be for cinnamon buns, but I used it for pizza dough and for these special buns my kids love - I put three small balls of dough in cupcake molds, and the buns tear into bit-size chunks. Delicious. Maybe I'll make some after I finish my insane cookie-making project.

• gwensans
    gwensans

@Nika Bee: ever try any Bavarian breads?

I am gluten intolerant and love their gluten free whole grain.

As for making bread myself, that's not even an option. One I don't own a bread maker (I have heard thats makes all the difference) and two making GF bread is hard! At least for me.

@Transhuman68: Would you want to share your mums recipe? Anyone else have easy GF bread recipes they care to share? Thanks.

• Nika Bee
    Nika Bee

I am actually from southern Bavaria :-)

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

I'm sorry I didn't answer your question about no-knead bread.

On the first day mix 3 cups of flour, 2 teaspoons of salt, 1/2 teaspoon of yeast and 1 1/2 cups of water. It makes a sticky dough. I just stir it with a fork until all the flour is mixed in. Cover it and let it sit for 18 hours -- actually anywhere from 12 hours to 18 hours. It fits into your schedule.

On the second day, preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Put a dutch oven with a lid in the oven to preheat also. I don't have a dutch oven, so I use a stainless steel pan with a heavy bottom and a tight-fitting lid.

Spread out a clean dish towel. Sprinkle it with about 1/4 cup of cornmeal. Stir down your dough with a fork again, and scrape it onto the cornmeal/towel. Bring the corners of the towel up to cover the dough. Let it sit for 1/2 hour while the oven and pot preheat.

Using oven mitts, pull the pot out of the oven and take off the lid. Carefully uncover the bread dough and tip it into the pot. No need to grease the pot, btw. Put the lid back on, put the pot back in the oven and let it cook with the lid on for 30 minutes. Take the lid off and let it cook for 20 more minutes.

You'll have a very flavorful bread with a crisp crust produced by steam from the dough trapped by the dutch oven and its lid. Like French bread from the bakery.

Hardly any work, but please remember to use the oven mitts.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit