Do you make any kinds of breads? Which ones do you like?

by Iamallcool 29 Replies latest jw friends

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

oooh nothing better than fresh bread with real butter - man that's good stuff. I don't personally make bread but a mate of mine makes a killer seed loaf, I can put that whole thing away it's so delicious. That being said - I'm on a diet

• Glander
    Glander

"Hot bread makes the butterfly"

• Pterist
    Pterist

I come from four generations of bakers in Ireland, "Boland's Bakery", regretably, I can not even cook to save my life. I burn water.LOL

I love that Italian bread from Publixs ! mmmmmmmmm

• Nika Bee
    Nika Bee

Living in the US for the last 3 years, I really miss the bread from where I grew up (Germany and France). I'm a little snobby about this and wouldn't call the bread that one can buy here - at least the one that students can afford - "bread". So I bake my own sourdough bread once a week. It's quite easy to make, and I save a lot of money.

• Sulla
    Sulla

sweetbread. Curiously, not that sweet...

• still thinking
    still thinking

Is anyone willing to share their recipes here? I'd love to try some of them...pretty please...

Nika Bee...I'm keen to know your sour dough recipe.

RIP...I hear you..

• eva luna
    eva luna

Sorry imallcool,

I dont make bread, I make bricks.

For the longest time I tried to be a good little wife and make bread. I always ended up with a two ton brick. I gave up.

Watching a cooking show, later in life, I realized I kept my whole wheat flour in the freezer [worried about it going rancid] and I wasnt letting it get to a nice room temp. It was killing the yeast. I am not a baker. It's to technical. I love to cook. I can screw it up and fix it usually. I dont need a recipe or to measure anything.

Just as well as I am like Rippie , I would eat the whole damn thing.

They should make a ladies perfume of warm bread and strawberry jam. Who needs Channel No. whatever

• transhuman68
    transhuman68

My mum made bread the old-fashioned way for many years, but I never liked it much. Then she bought a bread machine so she could make gluten-free bread for herself, but I never touched that. My favorite is a $3 loaf from the supermarket. It's a lot of work & hassle to make bread, and unless you have special needs, or can make exactly what you like, I don't think it is worth doing. Shortbread is always worth making though...

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

I used to make bread - kneading and all. Gave that up after my 2nd child was born.

But a few years ago I bought a bread machine and tried several recipes. My favorite is a cinnamon raisin bread but my onion and garlic is really great too

• Nika Bee
    Nika Bee

Still thinking: Unfortunately my recipes tend to not be so precise, i go more by feeling, but I try to write it up as good as I can.

For the starter: Mix several of spoons of rye flour with water (ca. 100-150 ml). Add twice a day one spoon of rye flour and a little bit of water and stir. After about 3 days it should start getting sour. It is important, that it is rye flour, not wheat. Each time after making bread one keeps a little bit of the starter and "feeds" it up again. The older a starter is, the more stable it is and less likely to go bad. The consistency should be between fluid and semi-fluid.

Over the week I feed my starter up (with rye flour and water) until I have about 1 liter. I pour most of it in a bowl and just keep a little bit for the next week.

To this I add about one spoon of salt, and then whatever spices I am in a mood for: rosemary, coriand, caraway, or different nuts and seeds. Mix it well and then add flour. Unlike for the starter I now use wheat, probably about 750 gr. Knead it until the dough is nice and smooth. The kneading brings out the gluten and makes it smooth, so for wheat, the more you knead the better (if you use spelt for example you shouldn't knead it too much).

Cover the bowl with a kitchen towel and let it stand for 5 hours or longer. I usually prepare the dough at night and bake the next morning.

Knead it again, and put it in a mould or on a baking sheet (butter the form before, so the bread will come out).

Let it stand again for one hour.

Bake for 10-15 minutes at 430 °F / 220 °C

Bake for 40-45 minutes at 370 °F / 185 °C

This will depend on your oven though. If you want a nice crust, spray water in the oven once in a while for the first 10-15 minutes.

Enjoy :-)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit