Personal Updates

by Hortensia 28 Replies latest social entertainment

• nancy drew
    nancy drew

Well it's nice to hear all are engaged in living and experiencing life's ups and downs and adventures. What i appreciate most is how free my mind is to go wherever it chooses to run along without fences. I am as always interested in the search what we are, what evidence is there to believe anything and I'm open to whatever turns up . Something I've always wanted to do was live by the ocean so next month we are moving into a brand new apt just a block from the ocean and we will get a couple of bicycles and enjoy the seabreeze.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Wonderful, Nancy!

I miss the sea.

CoCo

• Mum
    Mum

Hi, Hortensia. I love to talk about myself, so here goes:

I have not posted here for about three years, but recently started again. Since 2008, I have been in deep financial "doo-doo." I had purchased a condo in a place where property values skyrocketed. It had tripled in value. Then it started just as rapid a decline in value. I had to do a short sale, and am grateful it was not a foreclosure. I had gone into debt $8,000 to save my daughter's and son-in-law's home (which they eventually lost anyway).

In addition, I was $40,000.00 in debt to get my granddaughter straightened out at the Sunhawk Academy in Utah. She ran away from home with a horrible guy when she was about 16, and, besides that, I hade paid a private detective $3,500.00 (on my credit card) to find her.

So, I had about $12,000.00 + in credit card debt.

So, I have not had internet access, cable, or other luxuries again until recently.

I retired in 2007, so I had no income. I had been working steadily for a temp agency, but in mid-2008, that dried up, too. I was depressed and feeling hopeless, to say the least. Friends fed me and talked sense to me. I was terrified of the future, and saw no way out.

Then I got 9+ months' work at the Census Bureau. I made 100% on the test. Almost everyone who had a job at my Census office had made 100% or better (i.e., those with Veterans' preference) on the test. I paid my credit card debt down significantly, to about $2,500.00. I went back to getting a little bit of temp work. I also got a part-time job as an usher at the new ball park in town.

Then a friend helped me get a job in an attorney's office.

I now owe "only" about $27,000.00 on the student loan for my granddaughter. My credit card debt is paid off. I have a new card with a $300.00 limit for emergencies.

A few months ago, I left my job at the attorney's office and moved to Las Vegas. I am living with my daughter and son-in-law. This is the only way I can get paid back the money they owe me for bailing them out on their house and for borrowing to help my granddaughter.

I am studying machine shorthand, in hopes of becoming a court reporter so that I can have a high income for whatever time I have left. I did some internet research, and learned that only about three people a year pass the licensing test for court reporter in Nevada. They can't "afford" age discrimination. I don't know if you realize it, but the people who do the closed captioning for television and movies are court reporters. It's a lucrative field because very few people have the patience and/or skill to get good at it. Learning the theory is easy; getting up to 240 words per minute is where the challenge comes in, but I'm working on it every day.

I am grateful for the chance to rebuild my life, and very grateful that I was not reduced to filing bankruptcy.

I'm looking forward to meeting some of you, hopefully many of you, at the Apostafest in Vegas in May.

My efforts at present are concentrated in trying to pay off my remaining debt, becoming a good court reporter, and living in "fabulous Las Vegas!"

I'm happy for you and the opportunities you've had to travel. I love to travel, but haven't been able to for a while.

Regards,

SandraC

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

Happy@last - think of us if the interview becomes too stressful. We're all with you in spirit and want to be supportive.

Ndmum - what great stories about your kids. How wonderful that they aren't suffering through a JW childhood.

SandraC - what an encouraging story. I'm glad you found the inner strength to solve your financial problems. It's tough being retired without any resources. Good luck with the court reporter training. My sister took that training, it was difficult.

Nancy -- I agree with you. Having a free mind and the ability to think for myself is one of the greatest things about life post-JW.

Coco - I miss the beach too. I hope to get out to the northern CA coast this summer for a couple of days.

• eva luna
    eva luna

Dear happy@last,

I hope everything goes well for you today. I admire your courage and strength to stand up for yourself , even if it has been many years. I hope you find the desired closer.

How you wrote of the snow falling gave me a sense of calm. Maybe this is your touchstone for inner peace during this time.

My thoughts are with you today.

Let us know how it went .

Hugs

eva luna

• talesin
    talesin

Hi, Hortensia, I would like to tell you what's going on with me, but the last time I did, you dismissed it,, and treated me like a non sequitor, so no thanks!

xo NOT

tal

• Open mind
    Open mind

Good to hear from you Hortensia!

I'm sorry that the airplane men weren't handsome, pleasant-smelling and charming. Maybe next time.

Quick Open Mind family update:

My teen-age, high-school student son recently got his first, part-time, non-temporary job ever! He'd been getting fairly discouraged after putting in apps all over the place for the last several months. It's a pretty tough job market for a teen with no experience.

Our daughter is doing well in college and is getting her feet wet in her secular field of interest.

Here's a little fairly crude story from our New Year's Eve party you may or may not appreciate:

My long-time DFed, 100% gay, older brother came to visit over the holidays. We went over to some friend's house ( a straight couple in their 40s ) to celebrate New Years. As midnight approached, the hubby starts grilling everyone for what their New Year's resolution was going to be. Hubby is a sales guy and I think he irritated my gay brother a little bit.

Anyway, hubby gets around to my brother and says: "So, OM's brother, what's your New Year's Resolution?"

OM's Brother: "I'm gonna try to get more pussy."

(Jaws drop all around.)

OM's Brother continues: "My cats died this year and I think it's time for a new one."

Best,

om

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

Talesin, evidently I've been an asshole at some point. I sent you an apology via pm.

• Mum
    Mum

Hortensia: Thanks for the encouraging words.

Open Mind: Since I was last posting on this board, your situation seems to have improved significantly. You were still an active JW, struggling with getting your family to see TTATT. Once you asked for advice on reading material for your kids. I suggested Watership Down. Did you guys read it? If so, what did you think of it? I loved it!

Regards,

SandraC

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

Hey Hortensia,

Another challenging semester for me. My brain hurts.

15 months from now, I should be graduated and gainfully employed. Just gotta keep plugging along.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit