Avoiding Homelessness

by magotan 13 Replies latest jw experiences

• magotan
    magotan

I'm falling apart here. The false teachings of the JW enrage me; we started covering the information for the Jeremiah book, and I was outraged at how they twist up the scriptures to meet what they want to say. My dad wants to consider the "god's love" book during family worship evening. The tone of our Family worship was of "OMG how bad the world is". I am skipping meetings, but I am running out of excuses. It bothers my consience to go to the meetings; knowing how many lies are taught and how many people are misled.

I want out, and I'm losing my facade. I'm either going to end up disfellowshipped, or homeless. I don't know what to do next.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Can you be excused from the family group book discussion? Stay in your room? Go to a friends house? Or, do they insist that you be there?

S

• villagegirl
    villagegirl

How old are you ? Can you get a job ? Apply for a student loan ? A PELL Grant ? Get onto a work-study program ?

Education is the way out and the way UP. Don't take it all so seriously, plan your own future as a well educated professional of some sort.

Talk to a school counselor ig you are in school. If you are under 18 they have a legal responsibility to support you until you are 18.

Are you in Canada or the USA ? If you are in California you can go th a community college, apply for financial aid based on need.

If you have good grades, 3.5 or above , apply to university, go in for an interview, tell the counselor your story, you can do this.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Could you get a part time job, that would take you out of the house during these wt discussions?

S

• magotan
    magotan

I work full time, and I have a few responsibilites to pay off. I'm attempting to get to another school (i've applied to a few downstate) but it's so complicated. I have roughly 1/2 a degree in a major I don't really like, I'm attempting to transfer to a school that offers my dream goal. I felt like a dick; I applied for FAFSA, and I actually checked the box about being at-risk for homelessness (which means you have no parental info). They're starting to ask questions, and I'm a terrible liar. I'm hoping I can intercept the mail and remove any letters from the colleges I've applied to. Since I'm in school, i've been 'marked' and no one will talk to me. I don't get any calls, really. I'm viewed as a disappointment.

I'm going to attempt to declare financial independence for school, but I don't know if anything is going to work out right now.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Could you rent a post office box to use as a return address?

S

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

Talk to the college guidance counselors. They might have a safety net for you.

I talked to one recently, and they did have programs for kids in your situation. They found them campus jobs, super reduced tuition (employee based), help with student loans, scholarships, and housing. Please, don't be shy with the fact that you are coming out of a cult that shuns for independent thought. Tell them that you are a trapped JW. Show the counselors the WTS and AWAKE literature on college & shunning.

Skeeter

• finally awake
    finally awake

I see that you are 19 and you have a job. You need to move out. Find a cheap place, or a roommate, and don't let your family pressure you to continue living with your parents. Right now, living with them is not good for you. I won't lie and say that all this easy, or that they won't shun you. But no matter how hard it is, remember that the defect is theirs and that you are a good person who deserves happiness.

• InterestedOne
    InterestedOne

You could rent a private mailbox. I do it through my local UPS store, but there are others. It's a convenient way to maintain a constant mailing address even if you move around. They also receive packages for you & call you when they arrive.

• Pickler
    Pickler

Hey magotan, go on reddit, look up the JW subreddit, there's a guy there who was in a similar situation to you. He was homeless, his JW mum repeatedly kicked him out, he joined the army....recently did an AMA ( ask me anything ) read his story & message him. I'm pretty sure he was American.

Avoid homelessness at all costs, it sucks - I did it and survived :) wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit