No Child Left Behind Testing

by skeeter1 36 Replies latest social family

• Kudra
    Kudra

I've also taught elementary school children. 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, and 8th grade science.

The kids I taught were at a Montessori school and had been since kindergarten. Montessori kids (that have been in the program a long time) are notorious self-starters and the entire school excelled at the standardized tests and the teachers do not spend much time at all on test preparation.

I realize that I taught with what was probably an exceptional group and that my story isjust one anecdote.

But I still think kids *can* do this stuff and that we have a crisis in education that involves teachers, parents and kids not applying themselves.

• finally awake
    finally awake

A problem like that sample item could be a useful assessment tool, if it were graded on how the student went about solving it and not just on whether the student got the correct answer. A student could do the steps correctly, but make a computational error, and still be way ahead of a student who simply guessed at the correct answer on a multi choice test. The first time I looked at the problem, I attempted to solve for the length of the angled side, because visually it should be the longest side. I realized later that the picture wasn't drawn to scale and the longest side was the top edge.

• Kudra
    Kudra

The elementary kids I taught regularly blew me away with the work and creativity they would put into their assignments. I believe this was from being immersed in a culture of excellence and from the expectations of their parents.

• Kudra
    Kudra

Ha, the *one* kid who comes to mind at the university level that blew me away was from Korea. And he even had to go back to Korea mid-semester for a family emergency.

• finally awake
    finally awake

Kids who attend Montessori schools are probably a self selected group of high achievers - not a random sample of kids, or a group of all kids born in a certain year and living in a particular school district. I know some kids who are just plain not very bright, some who are average, and some who are smarter than I'll ever be. Public schools don't have the luxury of booting out kids who don't measure up, nor can they raise tuition as needed.

I agree that all kids can learn, and probably nearly everyone can learn algebra, but not all at the same pace and the same timetable. Is it really critical that kids learn this stuff in 6th grade? What are they supposed to learn before finishing high school that I missed out on?

• Kudra
    Kudra

Yes, I do realize that my Montessori kids were likely *not* a representative sample of what the average kid is -but throw those Montessori kids in with "the general population" and they would probably not do as well- indicating that the high standards and positive family support really helps.

So, off topic, there were two little boys there that were JWs. They let me know this when we were making a timeline of history of life on earth... I replied that we aren't doing any religious stuff that would bother their consciences but only learning about the facts. :-)

Those two little boys, not knowing that I was an ex-JW were pretty naughty, sharing YouTube videos with bad words, not applying themselves to the assignments. They were actually the "worst" students in the group... tsk tsk.

• mamochan13
    mamochan13

I think finding area of a trapezoid is standard 6th grade math, isn't it? http://www.adaptedmind.com/p.php?tagId=1222#

• JeffT
    JeffT

I'm with Kudra.

Standardized tests are crap, children aren't manufactured according to standards. Why would you test them that way?

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

The question was from a STANDARDIZED test. It is to be applied to all children; slow, regular, and advanced groups. It's only 16 questions; but all the 16 questions are multi-stepped, deductive questions. That's great to test which of the children should be in the 10% advanced group; but it does little to assess where the other 90% are at.

This is like the mental version of the President's physical fitness challenge. Only a small percent can get that award. But, this math standardized test, they all must pass.

Montessori parents must have alot of money and work alot with their childen. Is that why my child can't do this test? She went to Montessori when she was younger. Oh, and I have alot of money. And, I work with her all the time. She's done tutoring, and the Kahn Academy. So, why can't she do this test? Because this test is too advanced for her brain at this time.

Just because your parents are super, upper middle class, and work their brains out independently with the kid, hire tutors, etc . . . .doesn't automatically make the kid an exceptional honor student. There is a limitation on learning development, IQ, brain maturity rates, etc.

You all are a bunch of snobs.

Skeeter

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

Yes, finding the area of a trapezoid is a standard 6th grade learning skill. As is circumference and area of a circle. So, why not have 1 question on finding the area of a trapezoid. TEst that ONE concept ONLY, in ONE question. Then, you'd isolate if the kid had that skill.

But, throwing in ALL of these steps is testing deductive reasoning, and alot of kids can't do that at this age.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit