Question for you astute folks here. Ex wife, no money for a major operation.

by jam 16 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• jam
    jam

Typical for elderly Jw,s, they are now in their twilight years,

with no medical coverage. My son told me my Ex needs major

surgery. This is the same son at age 12 the state awarded me

full custody because of the abuse by her. (That,s another story)

Well she contact my son and told him she may need help with

the medical bill. He has forgiven her so there no problem.

My question, she and her husband own a house but no medical

coverage. What,s the procedure with people that have a major

operation with no medical coverage? She is a few years short

for medicare and very little in Social Security and her husband

he was over two hundred thousands in the rear from back

child support, so he has nothing. Wiil they take their home if

they can not pay? I don,t hate my ex, I feel sorry her.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

I am not an expert, but I do not think they can take your house for medical bills. On the other hand, they will try to get them to pay, but it is unlikely they ever will be able to pay them off. They will probably try to force them to make some kind of good faith payments.

Depending on the reason for the surgery, she may be able to get early Medicare.

I had a friend in a similar a situation. Due to a severe health condition, she cannot work. She has made token ($50 per month) payments for a while. They did not attempt they take her house, but maybe that is because she is underwater in the loan.

• BlindersOff1
    BlindersOff1

They cant force her to sell but they can attach a judgement to the title of the house so if they sell

it the deptor will get any profit from the sale

• finally awake
    finally awake

They probably won't take the house - but they may put a lien on it so that if it ever is sold the money goes to the hospital.

• jam
    jam

Thanks Lisa, It,s sad that so many JW,s didn,t

make plans for the future. Now they are panicking

because the end is not so near.

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

Hi,

Well I work in the medical field and have had many patients who could not pay their bills due to similiar circumstances.

Most hospitals will make a payment arrangement with you for medical bills. If you qualify by income, you may have most of the bill negated. My brother was able to do that. Your ex should contact the hospital social worker and explain the situation asap.

Tell her NOT to wait until it is too late and the hospital puts a lien on her home. The social worker can tell her what help she will qualify for.

• jam
    jam

Blinders off/ Finally Awake, Yes I thought of that "lien".

Knowing the ex like I do, she probably have second and third

loans on her mortgage. For her to be working some part time job at this

age , she must be hurting for money.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Usually a medical center doesn't want the reputation of putting some sick or elderly person "out on the street" by taking their home. Since most are non-profit, many offer charity to disadvantaged people and there are many now who lack health insurance of any kind. Finding a surgeon may be more difficult. Somehow, those docs always want paid for their services. Maybe it's the college loans they are repaying?

Doc

• jam
    jam

lovelyll: Thanks so much. Will tell my son. This is why I

love this place. No idea the hospital had a social worker.

• rebel8
    rebel8

If their fiscal year just began in January, she may be able to get her procedure done before they exhaust their charity care budget for the year.

Otherwise, yeah, she can try to negotiate with the hospital but it is still her responsibility to pay unless she makes other arrangements.

She should apply for Medicaid. Even if she thinks she won't qualify, getting rejected from Medicaid is a typical criterion for getting hospital charity care (bill reduction).

There are lots of myths. Medical bills are the top reasons for foreclosures and bankruptcies.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit