A tribute to a remarkable woman - Danmera Dinglebum (AKA JWN's "blond moment")

by cedars 14 Replies latest jw friends

• cedars
    cedars

Hi everyone

Richard E. Kelly has just contributed another moving life story to JWsurvey.

Here is the link...

http://jwsurvey.org/domestic-abuse-2/danmera-dinglebum-why-did-it-take-so-long

Danmera

I'm sure many of you will be familiar with Danmera's brilliant and thought-provoking YouTube videos.

For those who don't already know her story, this article should fill you in on the struggle she went through as a young woman thanks to her JW upbringing.

The fact that she has emerged through all of that, and blossomed into such a valuable member of our community, is truly inspiring.

Cedars

• MeanMrMustard
    MeanMrMustard

Awesome! Going there now to read.

MMM

• Dagney
    Dagney

Great story!

• sd-7
    sd-7

Classic. A really great tribute.

--sd-7

• vajeni82
    vajeni82

Very relateable. I'm so glad these stories are getting out there!

• yesidid
    yesidid

I find it difficult to comprehend that she was treated so badly just because she wasn't baptized at age 14.

In my 60 year association with J W's I never even heard of such a thing.

• vajeni82
    vajeni82

yesidid- If you watch her youtube videos, she says she started her baptism questions, but then changed her mind. I think that has a lot to do with it.

• cedars
    cedars

yesidid

I find it difficult to comprehend that she was treated so badly just because she wasn't baptized at age 14.

In my 60 year association with J W's I never even heard of such a thing.

I too was astonished at the pressure she and her father were put under. However, my own experience as an elder tells me that local elders can frequently become a law unto themselves once they get a bee in their bonnet over something. It doesn't surprise me that this could happen in certain congregations, especially during the Seventies amidst the 1975 hysteria.

Fast forward to today, and I recently posted a video to YouTube in which a Governing Body member, Anthony Morris III, went so far as to suggest that parents should blackmail their children if they get to 16 without having been baptized - so not much has really changed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlgbJdGoJ-U

Cedars

• yourmomma
    yourmomma

she is one of the all time top jw youtubers

• rubadubdub
    rubadubdub

Danmera's You Tube videos were hugely instrumental in my personal deprogramming efforts following my exit from the bOrg! Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Great article!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit