2013 Yearbook of JWs - Weird Cover Photo!

by 00DAD 20 Replies latest watchtower bible

• 00DAD
    00DAD

Ok, can someone please tell me, WHAT IN THE WORLD DO THESE WOMEN HAVE ON THEIR FACES???

2013 Yearbook of Jehovah's Witnesses - CU

I couldn't find that it said where this was taken, but I'm guessing it's in Myanmar as that is the featured country in the Yearbook.

For context, here's a scan of the entire cover:

2013 Yearbook of Jehovah's Witnesses

For any would-be scoffers, here is a link to the Official JW website where I downloaded the book minutes ago:

http://www.jw.org/en/publications/books/

• jgnat
    jgnat

Badly done photo retouching?

Is that Burma?

• tiki
    tiki

some kind of sun protection?

• jgnat
    jgnat

I'm hot. It's Thanaka.

• tiki
  • 00DAD
    00DAD

Good call guys.

I couldn't find anywhere in the Yearbook that it said where this was taken, but I'm guessing it's in Myanmar as that is the featured country in the Yearbook.

You guys nailed it!

• 00DAD
    00DAD

Thanaka - A Distinctive Feature of Myanmar
    Thanaka - A Distinctive Feature of Myanmar: The remarkably smooth skin of Burmese women is one of these traditions. Thanaka is a yellowish-white cosmetic paste made from ground bark. It is a distinctive feature of Myanmar seen commonly applied to the face and sometimes the arms of women and girls.
    I'm surprised the JW women are wearing it. You know there's gotta' be some pagan origin to this!!!
  • dazed but not confused
    dazed but not confused

Nicotine Patches???? LOL... How weird.

• dazed but not confused
    dazed but not confused
    Thanaka - A Distinctive Feature of Myanmar: The remarkably smooth skin of Burmese women is one of these traditions. Thanaka is a yellowish-white cosmetic paste made from ground bark. It is a distinctive feature of Myanmar seen commonly applied to the face and sometimes the arms of women and girls.

I'm surprised the JW women are wearing it. You know there's gotta' be some pagan origin to this!!! You would think.....

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

it's a strange pic to anyone outside of SE Asia. Strange they put it on the cover. Obviously newer market command attention

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit