Does the WTBS emphasize these two verses for control?

by cog_survivor 23 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Pterist
    Pterist

Cog_survivor,

I use to recieve the Plain Truth mags. and it was miles ahead in presentation, research and spiritual insight than the watchtower. I concur that both Armstrong and C T Russell came out of the Adventist movement. I have also enjoyed SDA fellowship and literature.

Shalom brother.

In you exposure to BBC & PBS, have you enjoyed Mr. bean, Black Adder, mrs. Bucket, only fools and hourses and sundry ?

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

As for me, I would rather lean on Satan for understanding than lean on joke-hova. Joke-hova set up a tyranny under which we were lower than lab rats, slaves for joke-hova. Satan stepped in and warned us of that move--Satan wanted more than anything for us to be free. I think I would rather trust someone that wants us free than someone trying to enslave us.

• tiki
    tiki

my husband is into Armstrong and the Philadelphia Church. I find it a bit much - but some things make a lot more sense than JW teachings....

• cog_survivor
    cog_survivor

Hi Tiki,

The Phildelphia Church of God is an offshoot of the Worldwide Church of God after Herbert Armstrong's death.

I'm so sorry to hear that your husband is getting drawn into their ranks. I'm going to strongly suggest that you and your husband read some of the information posted here: http://www.exitsupportnetwork.com/. I don't entirely agree with their viewpoints on spritual matters but as far as the facts presented, they appear to be pretty accurate.

One thing I can tell you from personal experience is that the Philedelphia Church of God will expect the following from your husband if he joins:

1. Keeping the Old Testament Holydays (there are seven with two involving week long experiences)
    2. Keeping of the Saturday Sabbath meaning no work (including household chores and errands)
    3. 1st tithe off your gross income to be sent to the church
    4. 2nd tithe off your gross income to be saved to observe the Holydays (namely the Feast of Taberhacles)
    5. 3rd tithe off your gross income to be paid every third year to help support the "poor".
    6. Additional offerings on the Holydays and begging letters for additional money
    7. Changes to eating habits (no pork, no shellfish) During the weeklong celebration of the Days of Unleavened bread, no foods with leavening included
    8. No questioning of the leadership - Ever
    9. No association with anyone who was a former member or one of the so called other "splinter groups" that formed after Herbert Armstrong's death - Ever
    10. Contant Haranguing about the end times and how close they are yet at the same time self aggrandizing building programs
    11. Scriptures taken continually out of context to support the leaderships agenda

Failure to perform will result in disfellowshipping

Herbert Armstrong is known to be a plagiarist based on his writings and supporting evidence found elsewhere. There is strong evidence that he molested his own daughter repeatedly. (When he divorced his second wife, some newspapers stated that there was a prior agreement between him and his second wife regarding his incestuous relationship with his daughter. Significantly, no lawsuits were filed. The one person who they attempted to sue was not sued for slander but for breach of confidentiality. This man was at one time a minister in Herbert Armstrong's church. The lawsuit was not successful). He openly lived in a self agrandizing, extravagent manner. He was constantly bragging about his accomplishments by saying what God was doing through him or how he had been gifted by God. This wwas while some of his followers were so poor they couldn't make ends meet due to his crippling tithe requirements.

Gerald Flurry is definitely a hardline, old school follower of Herbert Armstrong. He spent time collect Herbert Armstrong "artefacts" to try and recreate the life he knew when Herbert Armstrong was alive.

Pterist - I'm not much into Rowan Atkinson but I really did like "Keeping up Appearances"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit