Does the WTBS emphasize these two verses for control?

by cog_survivor 23 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cog_survivor
    cog_survivor

Something I came to understand that the Worldwide Church of God did effectively was to cut people off from from their feelings and intellect in favor of the "appropriate" thoughts and feelings.

How they did this was by frequently emphasizing these two verses:

Proverbs 3:5 - Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.

Jeremiah 17:9 - The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?

By means of these two verses I was taught not to trust myself with regards to either my ability to reason or if my gut was telling me something was wrong.

I was wondering if these two verses were emphasized for JWs as well.

• Ding
    Ding

Those verses are certainly referred to.

Notice the bait and switch.

The Bible talks about trusting God for wisdom and understanding.

The cult leaders tell you to trust THEM for wisdom and understanding because they alone speak for God...

But who exempted them from those verses?

Aren't they leaning on their own fallible understanding?

Aren't their hearts just as susceptible to wickness as everyone else's?

• cog_survivor
    cog_survivor

Thanks for the reply Ding:)

I was curious as to whether this was a common use of these verses in bible based cults.

The leaders wiggled around it was by saying that they were given an extra helping of God's Holy Spirit beyond the average layperson (WCG saw the HS as God's power). Herbert Armstrong claimed to receive relevation from God that no one else received by the power of the Holy Spirit. He covered his behind by saying it was from the scripture and that the Holy Spirit opened his eyes to see the truths he found.

Of course he was a liar as he cobbled most of his teachings from multiple sources.

• Pterist
    Pterist

Cog_survivor *** I was wondering if these two verses were emphasized for JWs as well.*****

Absolutely !

However, when we are set free, we do NOT put our trust in nobles and earthly men , right ???

The context of proverbs and "wisdom" literature is how can we apply the knowledge (biblical or otherwise) we have.....the answer, by acknowledging a dependencey on GOD HIMSELF. For Christians, union with Christ Jesus and the leading of Holy Spirit is our wisdom and guidence. The Holy Spirit was NOT confined to any church or religious organisation.

Shalom ;)

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

Those two are used a lot, but I would say the one they used more than any other was Jeremiah 10:23 -

(Jeremiah 10:23) I well know, O Jehovah, that to earthling man his way does not belong. It does not belong to man who is walking even to direct his step.

They would use this to both constantly complain about "the world" with crime, pollution, and war, and also to control the individual JW.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Yeah, Lost Generation, I've heard hubby use that one. I think the following verse creates the double personality; one conformed to the WTS, the other, subsumed, natural personality.

that YOU should put away the old personality which conforms to YOUR former course of conduct and which is being corrupted according to his deceptive desires; but that YOU should be made new in the force actuating YOUR mind, and should put on the new personality which was created according to God's will in true righteousness and loyalty. (Eph 4:22-24, NWT)

And there's this one:

And quit being fashioned after this system of things, but be transformed by making YOUR mind over, that YOU may prove to yourselves the good and acceptable and perfect will of God. (Rom 12:2, NWT)

• NeverKnew
    NeverKnew

Cog! That's the Korean cult, right? My best friend has recently lost a niece to that cult!

All: My friend and I were making comparisons a few months ago. Her college graduate niece is required to live with 4 other cult members in an apartment. I was sick listening to the control they're exercising over this child. They've blocked ALL of her free time.

Congratulations on getting out Cog! How long were you in? and out of curiousity, were you recruited from a college campus?

• Think About It
    Think About It

The WTS uses several different angles for control over the JW's.

1) bible verses

2) emphasizes a closed community with no outside friends

3) shunning or loss of family

4) threat of destruction at Armageddon

5) vilifies education or self-improvement that makes you less dependent on the religion

6) vilifies free thinking or reseach on the religion

7) allows no questioning of the religion or leadership

A person could go on and on. It it sounds like a cult, looks like a cult, and acts like a cult, then it's a cult.

• Pterist
    Pterist

Hi cog_survivor, I am non denominational Christian, I met some nice WCG folks in my itinerent visits to churches in the West Palm Beach area of Florida. I was at some of their meetings in a local school when the big split was taking place after WCG went "orthodox" The elders looked totally bewildered !

However, I'm guessing you are in the UK, as you use the expression "covering his behind" LOL

• blondie
    blondie

Jer. 17:9 273 times in WT publications (1950 to 2011)

Pr. 3:5 581 times

Both in an article: 117 times

One thing Jesus emphasized was that the religious leaders of his time did not trust the "common" people to be able to read the Law and make application without additional interpretation, the Talmud.

(Matthew 15:1-9) . . .Then there came to Jesus from Jerusalem Pharisees and scribes, saying: 2 “Why is it your disciples overstep the tradition of the men of former times? For example, they do not wash their hands when about to eat a meal.” 3 In reply he said to them: “Why is it YOU also overstep the commandment of God because of YOUR tradition? 4 For example, God said, ‘Honor your father and your mother’; and, ‘Let him that reviles father or mother end up in death.’ 5 But YOU say, ‘Whoever says to his father or mother: “Whatever I have by which you might get benefit from me is a gift dedicated to God,” 6 he must not honor his father at all.’ And so YOU have made the word of God invalid because of YOUR tradition. 7 YOU hypocrites, Isaiah aptly prophesied about YOU, when he said, 8 ‘This people honors me with their lips, yet their heart is far removed from me. 9 It is in vain that they keep worshiping me, because they teach commands of men as doctrines.’”

*** w06 1/1 p. 23 par. 16 How Firm Is Your Trust in God? ***

Modesty: The Bible says: “Trust in Jehovah with all your heart and do not lean upon your own understanding. In all your ways take notice of him, and he himself will make your paths straight. Do not become wise in your own eyes.” (Proverbs 3:5-7) Sometimes, a certain course might seem practical from a secular point of view. (Jeremiah 17:9) Still, a sincere Christian looks to Jehovah for guidance. (Psalm 48:14) ‘In all his ways’—in congregation matters, education or secular work, relaxation, or anything else—he modestly seeks Jehovah’s counsel.—Psalm 73:24.

*** w01 8/1 pp. 9-10 par. 11 Can You “Distinguish Both Right and Wrong”? ***

The fact that God called to account those ancient Jews who became “wise in their own eyes” makes it all the more important for us to avoid relying on ourselves in determining right and wrong. Many people today subscribe to the notion of “just listen to your heart,” or “do what you feel is right.” Is such an approach sound? Not according to the Bible, which plainly says: “The heart is more treacherous than anything else and is desperate. Who can know it?” (Jeremiah 17:9) Would you rely on a treacherous and desperate person to guide you in your decision making? Hardly. If anything, you would probably do just the opposite of what such a person tells you. That is why the Bible reminds us: “He that is trusting in his own heart is stupid, but he that is walking in wisdom is the one that will escape.”—Proverbs 3:5-7; 28:26.

But should Christians be checking that which others teach them?

*** w10 9/1 p. 13 Guard Against Being Deceived ***

You have nothing to fear from examining your beliefs in this way. In fact, the Bible encourages you to “make sure of all things” before accepting them as true. (1 Thessalonians 5:21) Toward the end of the first century C.E., the apostle John urged his fellow Christians: “Beloved ones, do not believe every inspired expression, but test the inspired expressions to see whether they originate with God.” (1 John 4:1) Yes, even though a certain religious teaching seems to be “inspired”—or to come from God—it is still the course of wisdom to examine the Scriptures to make sure before accepting it as true.—John 8:31, 32.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit