not ready to go over to the "dark side"

by nowwhat? 50 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Christ Alone
    Christ Alone

Oh, one other thing. This thread below was FANTASTIC. Cofty was a JW, and then became a Christian before reexamining his views and following a different path towards non belief. But while a Christian he wrote one of the most thorough comparisons to the early Christians view of Jesus vs the WT view that I've ever seen. Just using scriptures, you can see the amazing contrast. And it can be seen even if one does reject the Bible. Atheist or Christian or anything else, it is beyond obvious that the WT view of Jesus does not match the early Christian's view in any way. Here is the link to that WONDERFUL article:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/beliefs/243099/1/Jehovahs-Witnesses-View-of-Jesus-Compared-to-the-Early-Church

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

I see the "Where else" argument from many JWs. This is something that the Watchtower uses as a way to keep people in. They demonize all other religions, while basically saying, "we are so much better than them" That kind of thinking kept me stuck for years, hating my life but afraid to leave.

There are churches that don't teach these things, although not common. I have investigated the Church of Christ, congregational, my husband was raised in it and my mother in law attends. They actually have no doctrine. It's more about Christian fellowship and support, and you don't even have to have a strong belief in God to be a member. It was hard to get my head around it really, but I have attended a few times and was impressed. It was a very loving, accepting congregation.

I suspect if you look around you could find a group of Christians where you would be comfortable. The WTBTS creates the kind of black or white thinking that makes everything so all or nothing. If a church was wrong on one doctrine, you are supposed to reject it completely, yet if the Watchtower is wrong, you are supposed to "wait on Jehovah", or "we are just imperfect men" or "the light is getting brighter". What a double standard! At least in the other Churches there will not be doctrine flip flops and crazy predictions.

• Rattigan350
    Rattigan350

Let's not go overboard here. The JWs do have correct doctrine. the problem is that the organization is going in a self-serving direction.

The focus is on the organization. The publishers are pushed to be delivery people of the literature and to get bible studies so that people can come to the meetings and be donators so that revenues can continue.

As far as "was a JW, and then became a Christian " goes, since JWs are Christians but pharasical ones, that statement would not apply. It is just a matter of them being self serving in their focus or agenda.

Why do people need any religion? What has religion done for mankind? It is just people doing things with or for each other using God as a focal point.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Re: not ready to go over to the "dark side"

You might be in the dark side so to speak being a member and involved in this religion/publishing business

There are many people who've left the JWS to venture into other religious faiths as well many who just left religion all together.

Those who've left religion all together felt that being involved with religion was really being in the dark side of humanity and its past history.

• jgnat
    jgnat

The JWs do have correct doctrine. - Rattigan

Ummmmm

• Ding
    Ding

You would be surprised how many of the things that seem clearly biblical to you now are really the product of WT spin and selective quoting of a very limited number of proof-texts.

Odds are you have never heard a good defense of non-WT doctrines on the trinity, hell, and other issues.

Even if you heard them at the door, you were probably letting them go in one ear and out the other as you waited for your opening to present "the truth."

I agree with those who suggest setting aside all WT literature and simply reading the Bible afresh with a humble spirit, ready to acknowledge that what seems so clear to you now might, in fact, be wrong, the product of WT indoctrination and repetition.

I would recommend that you start with Galatians and Romans.

Use a recognized translation (non-NWT). In fact, try comparing several different translations. Good ones are the New American Standard Bible, the New International Version, the Revised Standard Version, and the New Living Translation. There are other good ones. Just giving you a few for starters.

• erbie
    erbie

It is interesting that you mention the trinity. Well, no it isn't specifically mentioned in the bible (as with so many other things) but it came about as it is the only solution to the identity of Jesus and God the Almighty. Jesus said many, many things that identified himself as deity. This, despite what you have been taught by the WT cannot be ignored. If you read the book of Revelation it becomes very obvious that Jesus and God are one and the same. This is what the bible says, not what I say. Let it speak for itself!

How can this be so when Jesus said that the Father was greater than he?

Well, at that particular time he was of course.

In short, what I am saying is, don't be put off or stumbled by all of the red herrings that the WT has churned out.

The Christian faith is not an easy thing to grasp when you have had your mind poisoned by the Watchtower (I should know) but try to give it the benefit of the doubt and look at it objectively and without predjudice.

I wish you the best.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

The WTS doctrines were created and devised to attract attention from the public' eye, that makes the WTS. more of a diverse commercial venture

than anything else. Getting people to read their literature and getting people to eventually distribute their literature is what the WTS.

has been about since C T Russell days.

This is where the inherent corruption of this organization exists and has existed for decades upon decades.

• Christ Alone
    Christ Alone

Let's not go overboard here. The JWs do have correct doctrine.

I understand your position, Rattigan. Many (if not most) do not leave the organization because of doctrinal matters. But when you examine it all, you have to come to some certain conclusions. Is this God's organization? Are the GB the faithful slave spoken of in Matthew 24:45? If they aren't, who are they? Are they false prophets? What did they prophecy? Can they pass the test of a prophet given at Deut 18:20-22? If they are false prophets, what else could they be wrong on? If they are false prophets, should we not reexamine everything they've said to make sure of all things? (1Thess 5:21)

You see, this is a journey of reexamination. You may end up believing in a paradise earth, two classes of Christians, Jesus being Michael the archangel, God having a single organization, soul sleep, etc. Or...you may not. The fantastic thing is that you can reexamine these teachings and find out if they are really so, according to the Bible. No more fear.

More often than not, you may find that many of these doctrines are not correct. Some are based on the mistranslation of the NWT, which was "translated" by men that did not know Hebrew or Greek. Getting a different translation (almost ANY other translation is better) is vital. And be willing to follow truth. Don't approach it with the view "Well...most of the JW doctrines are correct." No, approach it with as little bias as you can muster. Don't worry if you find that many of these doctrines were false.

It's amazing what happens when you read the Bible by itself, and are not blasted with WT comments like "The false religious teaching of...." or "This is a pagan teaching..." So many things that JWs reject are very clearly taught in the Bible. I'm not going to comment further on that. I just want to encourage you to get into your bible deeply and reexamine everything.

• erbie
    erbie

Very good comments Christ Alone. You have said pretty much what I myself think.

The Watchtower prevents honest people from reading their bibles and finding truth because they have filled their heads with preconceptions about Christianity and its doctrines.

In a twisted way it is quite clever really.

Evil and twisted but clever.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit