Weird rumor I heard - JWs in Sweden

by sir82 25 Replies latest jw friends

• sir82
    sir82

I heard this from a "friend of a friend of a friend...." at least 3 or 4 intermediate steps before I heard it.

So it is likely distorted, but I'll throw it out there in case someone in or near Sweden can clarify it.

I heard that the WTS branch in Sweden instructed all JWs there to "get rid of" all (empahasized ALL) of their printed literature, and rely exclusively on the content of JW.org for their literature.

That's the entire extent of it - I also got a few speculations about "what it might mean" (the Society is expecting persecution! the Society is expecting something big!) but the actual rumor is just that one statement above.

Anyone heard anything remotely like that? As I noted, I'm 99% sure it is distorted or misunderstood, but just for the sake of that 1% doubt....

• Think About It
    Think About It
    I heard that the WTS branch in Sweden instructed all JWs there to "get rid of" all (empahasized ALL) of their printed literature, and rely exclusively on the content of JW.org for their literature.

This goes against the history and everything this Cult has ever taught. Hidden literature can be spiritual food during persecution, the internet is evil, blah, blah, blah. But what the hell, this Cult's new Leadership makes up their beliefs & direction as they go along.

• Pterist
    Pterist

In George Orwell's novel Nineteen Eighty-Four, the Ministry of Truth is Oceania'spropaganda ministry. It is responsible for any necessary falsification of historical events. The word truth in the title Ministry of Truth should warn, by definition, that the "minister" will self-serve its own "truth"; the title implies the willful fooling of posterity using "historical" archives to show "in fact" what "really" happened. As well as administering truth, the administration deploys a new tongue-in-cheek language amongst administrators called Newspeak, in which, for example, truth is understood to mean statements like 2 + 2 = 5 when the situation warrants.

It is one of the four ministries that govern Oceania. However, as with the other Ministries in the novel, the Ministry of Truth is a misnomer and in reality serves the opposite of its purported namesake.

• jgnat
    jgnat

I bet it is a Kingdom hall rumor; spreads like wildfire and has no substance.

• Rob Crompton
    Rob Crompton

I find it hard to imagine that the Society would issue such a directive - because donations for printed literature are a major source of finance. Stop printing, cut funding. On the other hand, local congs and circuits might wake up to the fact that they could easily reduce their outgoings by a huge margin if they decided to rely exclusively on downloaded materials.

• Londo111
    Londo111

Maybe this was a misunderstanding of the BOE letter to throw out older literature that is overstocked and the story grew in the telling.

• Gayle
    Gayle

The "persecution" card helps to motivate the paranoid JWs to do anything and everything the WTS wants done.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

" Maybe this was a misunderstanding of the BOE letter to throw out older literature that is overstocked and the story grew in the telling. "

Londo could be right. After years of group-think the poor sheep can't even separate magazines without it being demonstrated. They could easily misconstrue a complicated letter. Also, no one spreads rumors like JW's.

• sir82
    sir82

BTTT in case there are any Scandanavians getting off work now.

• dazed but not confused
    dazed but not confused

Would be amazing if they implament this but I doubt it. And if its only Sweeden, then why? only Sweeden? I wouldn't put too much faith in it. Like Jgnet said - I bet it is a Kingdom hall rumor; spreads like wildfire and has no substance.

That would be my guess. Keep us posted though...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit