Books that make you go hmm....

by jgnat 49 Replies latest jw friends

• Nika Bee
    Nika Bee

Fermat's Last Theorem by Simon Singh (I read this as a child and decided then and there that I ould become a Mathematician)

The Mormon Murders by Steven Naifeh and Gregory White Smith (I read this during my journey out of the WT)

Perfect Rigor: a Genius and the Mathematical Breakthrough of the Century by Masha Gessen (a biography of Grisha Perelman)

Ishmael; My Ishmael; The Story of B three books by Daniel Quinn (made me think a lot about the state of humankind, how we came until here, and how we should go on)

Way of the peacful Warrior by Dan Millman (especially for athletes, but also for all who want to succeed anywhere)

• still thinking
    still thinking

A great book I read a while ago was Pythagoras's Trousers by Margaret Wertheim.

Here is a little blurb about the book itself...

A spirited look at the relationship between physics and religion—and the implications for both sexes.

Here is a fresh, astute social and cultural history of physics, from ancient Greece to our own time. From its inception, Margaret Wertheim shows, physics has been an overwhelmingly male-dominated activity; she argues that gender inequity in physics is a result of the religious origins of the enterprise.

Pythagoras' Trousers is a highly original history of one of science's most powerful disciplines. It is also a passionate argument for the need to involve both women and men in the process of shaping the technologies from the next generation of physicists.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

C.S. Lewis and Carl Jung had the most impact on me in terms of Christianity. Wayne Meeks, N.T. Wright, Marcus Borg, Elaine Pagels, and Madeleine L'Engle. Mere Christianity summed up Christianity succintly. I adored the Narian chronicles. The child like manner is captivating and reassuring.

The Screwtape Letters by Lewis stripped demon fears.

Shakespeare has affected me deeply. I've seen many performances. The problem I have with Elizabeth literature is that I need a heavily annotated book. A few years ago I read Dante's Inferno. I was not disappointed.

The Epic of Gilgamesh was informative.

I read a mix of historical fiction, HIlary Mantel is a favorite, great classics, French surrealism, and some fun trash.

Every book where a dog is the major character is a draw.

• troubled mind
    troubled mind

marking

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

marking.

I'd have to say that i really enjoyed a book, "Into Thin Air"

Currently reading a really good book. Not sure it's what you all would like to read. But, it's great.

Blood and Thunder: The Epic Story of Kit Carson and the Conquest of the American West [Paperback]

In the summer of 1846, the Army of the West marched through Santa Fe, en route to invade and occupy the Western territories claimed by Mexico. Fueled by the new ideology of “Manifest Destiny,” this land grab would lead to a decades-long battle between the United States and the Navajos, the fiercely resistant rulers of a huge swath of mountainous desert wilderness.In Blood and Thunder , Hampton Sides gives us a magnificent history of the American conquest of the West. At the center of this sweeping tale is Kit Carson, the trapper, scout, and soldier whose adventures made him a legend. Sides shows us how this illiterate mountain man understood and respected the Western tribes better than any other American, yet willingly followed orders that would ultimately devastate the Navajo nation. Rich in detail and spanning more than three decades, this is an essential addition to our understanding of how the West was really won.

• still thinking
    still thinking

The Magic of Reality - Richard Dawkins. A great intorduction to scientific thinking for kids of all ages from 8 to 80

Rob...I loved this book. Again, a nice introduction to Dawkins books. He covers so many topics and beautifully illustrated. Great for the beginner like me...and now my 17 year old son is reading it.

I have just finished "The Greatest show on earth" by Richard Dawkins, absolutely amazing book. A bit difficult for a beginner like me to grasp all the concepts, I had to reread a few things just to get a grip of what he was saying. But cofty has a thread dedicated to explaining it as you go. Very helpful....

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/beliefs/240509/1/The-Greatest-Show-On-Earth-A-Book-Summary-In-Many-Parts

• jgnat
    jgnat

Thank you all for joining in. My book list just got longer, LOL.

I just finished this fiction book, lent by a neighbour.

Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese (Jan 26 2010)

Set in Ethiopia, his characters have depth times twelve, as he reveals the onion layers of a complex family dynamic...just...when you can't stand waiting any longer. You get a taste of history and medicine along the way.

• problemaddict
    problemaddict

Free Will - Sam Harris

Blink - Malcolm Gladwell

Going Clear - Lawrence Wright (reading now)

Fooled by Randomness - Salim Talib

• ÁrbolesdeArabia
    ÁrbolesdeArabia

Mrs Jones, you will love that book I promise you! I lost $50,000 to a psychopath who walked away with all the investors money and spent zero time in jail. The company I lost money to was Sunbeam Oyster, Allan Duncehead is interviewed in the book. A cult leader we heard of is also interviewed, once you start the book, you won't be able to stop.

Is there a book club on JWN, I don't think I have come across that thread and if not, why not have a book club here?

I received a book "Why Hallucinations take place". it's another good read you might enjoy. I receive lots of free material from publishers wanting me to review religious literature and horticulture books. I am allowed to request books outside of these fields for free as long as the publisher has the book. I am always looking for ways to get rid of some of the books, many of them I donate to the library to build up their collection.

"Snakes In Suits" is good but not as readable as "The Psychopath Test" by the author of "Men Who Stare At Goats".

"The Sociopath Next Door" is another good read if you have not read that book, it's very nice!

• Pickler
    Pickler

I love a well stocked bedside table full of books, currently I have :

Richard Dawkins - reading the god delusion and the magic of reality

Reading atheists literature has been deeply rewarding, I'm also looking forward to getting to crisis of conscience but its expensive so will have to wait a bit...

All time favorites that I've read over & over:

the secret history by Donna Tartt :( the loneliness of adolescence, not fitting in & wanting to belong + suspense!

Freedom by Jonathan Franzen, it's extremely well written, we have more freedom than ever before & we still manage to stuff it up in so many ways. I think it resonated with me because JW taught that worldly freedom is easy, and it's not.

We need to talk about Kevin by Lionel shrivel, I've read this before & after kids - messes with your head! Ahhhhhhh parenting!!!!

Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel, I don't like historical novels but I loved this :) it's genius!! Politics & religion!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit