Orangeburg Assembly Hall - designed to be sold as a future supermarket?

by cedars 51 Replies latest jw friends

• TheListener
    TheListener

I am still of the opinion that the GB and majority of Bethel muckety mucks totally believe their own BS.

They build to accomodate their current needs and probably for future District Conventions.

I really believe the building style and shape is about doing things as cheaply as possible while still having a nice presentable facility.

The WTS has known for a long long time that their construction projects are a key way that witnesses build strong relationships with each other. Working long hours, stressed and trying to make the deadline for their crew, eating communal meals and quite a few suffer money issues at home in order to participate. Since the United States and other countries haven't persecuted Witnesses for decades the community feeling they get as they work together and consider themselves martyrs at the same time can forge a strong lasting bond. The friendships from these construction projects are much stronger and wider than those from doing d2d work and fill the need for social gatherings as well since those dont' occur nearly as often as they used to.

imho

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I got about a minute in, and could not stand that lame excuse of "music(??)". And those people have to listen to that rubbish all the time?

A waste of concrete, it is. Also, a waste of glass, metal--and time. If they were working at a construction site for Walmart, they would expect to receive money they could then spend on paying bills, having a little fun, buying things they are going to need or need now, or invest. This way, they are not going to see anything. Rather, they waste their time building crap, for a crap purpose. I only hope this waste of time and materials simply sits there empty, until someone offers next to nothing for the whole lot and barks that it is worth negative.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

Yep, they count their time. If a poor schmuck reaching out for MS takes an upaid vacation to work on the RBC, you can't count squat. You pay to have that building made, and you work there for free. That building would make a lovely business College, or Costco, or FEMA camp.

• likeabird
    likeabird
    That music.

Yes! I had to turn the sound off too!

Actually couldn't watch it all, just skimmed it. I looked at the photos posted in another thread this week and just the pictures made me nauseous.

The one thing I did hear on the video was this:

"The food service department began their day at 4am preparing breakfast for appreciative volunteers and their day did not end until 7 or 8 in the evening when the last dish was cleaned. Between October 2011 and January 2013, this department prepared over 262,500 meals"

(~8m00-8m20)

And this comes from the article on the other thread:

"Shenin and Jonathan Bolton said they moved from California to Charleston just to work on the project. They have lived in a camper for the past nine months while putting in about 200 to 300 hours per month on the project."

For unpaid volunteers, they really don't give a thought to the hours they are putting in.

200 hours is the equivalent of doing 10 hour days while having Saturday and Sunday off.

300 hours is the equivalent of doing 10 hour days having no days off at all.

300 hours is also the equivalent of doing 15 hour days while having Saturday and Sunday off.

The things they can get away with when not officially employing people...

Shame it doesn't count for anything towards their retirement.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Jehovah knew where the Site was..They just had to find it!..

They used concrete and steel (materials unknown to the outside world)to build the hall.

They won an Award for a Flat floor!..

They put seats in the building!..And..A Carpet!!..

OUTLAW`s Review..

None of this could have been done without Jehovah and a Hardware Store..

The Jehovah Song was Irritating and Paint was Peeling off my Walls..

I tried to turn it off..But..It kept turning itself back on..

The only Logical Conclusion is..

The Jehovah Song is Demonized..

OK..

So I wrote the Dam Song..

LOL!!..

..........................  mutley-ani1.gif ...OUTLAW

• Emery
    Emery

lol @ Outlaw.

I wonder if Jehovah's holy spirit was behind Phil Knight and the Oregon Duck facilities or Dallas Stadium?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_umtAnyCfQE

• yourmomma
    yourmomma

now that i am out and ha ve educated myself in regards to just alot of general sh*t, i notice that they like to make a big deal about "big numbers" that now i see are not impressi ve at all, and that only people who are ignorant find these numbers to be something of value. like them making a big deal about how much concrete was poured or how many meals were ser ved. that is standard sh*t for these types of projects and sh*t like this happens all the time all o ver the world, AND on a much greater scale.and its hilarious that they claim that none of it could be done without "Jeho vah".

• JeffT
    JeffT

I've been in real estate for a long time. Large retail buildings don't sell easily. Most of the chains (grocery stores, JC Penney, Sears etc) want to be in a mall that attracts lots of people. The stand alone types (Walmart) probably want to build their own store. And changing permits from a church to a retail outfit won't be easy most places, although I don't know about Orangeburg.

I laughed at the award for having a flat, level floor. That's like claiming you got an award for not totally f***ing up your job.

• LoisLane looking for Superman
    LoisLane looking for Superman

Oh Lordy, Lordy, Praise Somebody that I know TTATT. lol

Just Lois

• moomanchu
    moomanchu

It took a while but I finally remembered that music,

why are they playing the theme song from Jurasic Park???

4,100 gallon swimming pool, 8,000 carpet squares, 262,500 meals how exciting !!!!!!

I wonder how many leaks and dumps were taken????????

Surely it was better than average !!!

I think flat concrete floor buildings might hold their value better than angled concrete floor buildings.

It doesn't make sense not to have a sloped auditorium.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit