When is Nissan 14?

by Dawn 21 Replies latest jw friends

• Dawn
    Dawn

Ok - here is an interesting one for ya'll. Just throwing it out there for your thoughts.

The "Lords Evening Meal" is always celebrated on the day that corresponds to Nissan 14. My parents are still JW's and (as ya'll know) the Memorial service is the "most important meeting of the year" - they literally cry if I don't go. So I'm thinking - I'll show my mother and father honor by going - I can fake it through one meeting right?! (besides - noone will talk to me since I'm shunned and I'll get out early)

Anyways - So I go to the Jewish calendar and mark down Nissan 14th (Wednesday - today!!) in advance so I have that day free. My mom gives me an invitation to the memorial last week - guess what....It's on Thursday night (no way!!). So I say "hey - what's up??? Nissan 14th is on Wednesday...I know because I looked it up in advance (yadda yadda yadda)" This starts a whole discussion...the conclusion of which...........here goes.................

According to a number of Watchtower Articles explaining how they calculate Nissan 14th - the Jews are not always correct in how they calculate their own calendar so you can only know what date Nissan 14th is on by the Governing Body.

Wow...pretty amazing hu?! Needless to say - I decided it was just too exhausting and I'm not going ;) However, I celebrated on my own (tonight!!) with prayer of thanks, unleavened bread & a little wine - and I didn't even have to get shunned to do it!

• funkyderek
    funkyderek
    According to a number of Watchtower Articles explaining how they calculate Nissan 14th - the Jews are not always correct in how they calculate their own calendar so you can only know what date Nissan 14th is on by the Governing Body

Of course. The Jews have been using that calendar every day for 3000 years. How would they know what date it is?

--
    Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes. - Jack Handey, Deep Thoughts

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

I wondered that, too.
    Last night I heard that a suicide bomber killed him self and another 8-10 (?) others at a Passover celebration in Israel.

Is there a one day discrepancy between the full-moon in Jerusalem and Brooklyn, that might explain this anomaly?
    I would laugh so hard, if that were the case.

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

The Moon is never wrong.

Check out the activity of the moon on both nights.

• TheStar
    TheStar

I wanted to show my husband but I can't find a Jewish Calendar that says it was yesterday. What did you look at? Please show me.

"We would not refuse to treat one as a brother because he did not believe the Society is the Lord's channel... There should be full liberty of conscience." -- WT April 1, 1920, p. 100, 101

• JBean
    JBean

Welcome Dawn... and good one! I needed that good laugh!!!! hey, maybe the Jewish calendar is posted somewhere on the 'net? Jbean

• JBean
    JBean

check this link out to see what the correct dates are:
    http://www.rtlsoft.com/hebrew/calendar/today.html

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

This has always been my favorite pet peeve with the JW's. First of all, Passover doesn't begin until Nisan 15, not the 14th. Nisan 14 was the day the lamb was to be slaughtered, the actual Passover feast would then begin at SUNDOWN, the Beginning of the new day in the Jewish Calendar is SUNDOWN, so Nisan 15 is the actual date for the beginning of Passover.

Nisan 15 corresponds with Sundown on Wednesday, 27 March 2002. The Society is so screwed up on this as to be HILARIOUS. Check out Exodus 12 for confirmation that the slaughter of the lamb is 14 Nisan and that the feast of Passover began that evening.

Also, the day of the month is decided by the date of the NEW MOON not the FULL MOON, the SOciety don't know JACK ABOUT JUDAISM OR JESUS. And no, there is no difference between the full moon in Jerusalem and Brooklyn. Again, the date is not determined by the full moon, but rather 14 and 15 days AFTER the NEW MOON.

YERUSALYIM
    "Vanity! It's my favorite sin!"
    [Al Pacino as Satan, in "DEVIL'S ADVOCATE"]

• meat pie
    meat pie

I put the word Passover in google and got a site about it , wednesday is right.www.holidays.net/passover/ There is a bit for dates on this site.

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

From the Jewish source itself linked above for us,

Passover begins on the 15th day of the Jewish month of Nissan. As the Jewish day begins at sundown the night before, this year (2002) the first night of Passover is Wednesday March 27th.
    click www.holidays.net/passover

God Bless

YERUSALYIM
    "Vanity! It's my favorite sin!"
    [Al Pacino as Satan, in "DEVIL'S ADVOCATE"]

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit